New NT1a Mod

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Michael_Joly
pushin' record

New NT1a Mod

Post by Michael_Joly » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:00 pm

I've completed an intense period of R&D and now have a new modification for the RODE NT1a - new, more open-area "67 / 87" style headbasket and MJE-K47 capsule. Sounds righteous with that low noise (5 dBa) circuit in this mic. No more sizzle, just classic midrange punch.

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:41 pm

Intriguing - can you do it for the older NT1 as well?
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

Michael_Joly
pushin' record

Post by Michael_Joly » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:15 pm

I always hesitate to say yes until I've actually done something, but these are so similar that I'm pretty comfortable saying yes I can.

kingmetal
buyin' gear

Post by kingmetal » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:31 pm

You mean I shouldn't just toss out my NT1-A?

I'd love to hear some examples of this mod, as I've got an NT1-A in my mic locker that I usually hate using (found one vocalist who I like it on, but that's it). I feel like by the years end I'm going to have a whole locker full of MJE 47-ish mics at this rate!

Michael_Joly
pushin' record

Post by Michael_Joly » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:39 pm

I suppose you could hang onto it in its stock form and use it to record dialog for HF impaired geriatric...ah "senior" audiences.

kingmetal
buyin' gear

Post by kingmetal » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:00 am

Michael_Joly wrote:I suppose you could hang onto it in its stock form and use it to record dialog for HF impaired geriatric...ah "senior" audiences.
it's funny, I do appreciate it's ability to make a certain muddy-voiced mumbly singer I'm working with sound... well... audible -- but I've hated everything else that mic has ever done with a passion.

Looks like it's going on to-be-modded by you list! Soon it'll be easier to count the mics in my locker that you DIDN'T mod!

Producer/Engineer
takin' a dinner break

Re: New NT1a Mod

Post by Producer/Engineer » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:16 am

Michael_Joly wrote:I've completed an intense period of R&D and now have a new modification for the RODE NT1a - new, more open-area "67 / 87" style headbasket and MJE-K47 capsule. Sounds righteous with that low noise (5 dBa) circuit in this mic. No more sizzle, just classic midrange punch.
Yes, and after hearing the sample comparisons between the U87 Purple Badge and the modified NT1A, I was floored. That's exactly why my NT1A is in your shop for the mod! Congratulations Michael for a super mod on an extremely quiet mic!
I'll post up a review as soon as mine comes back.

Michael_Joly
pushin' record

Post by Michael_Joly » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:52 am

Maybe I just did your mic on Wednesday. Is your last name a color? Anyway, I'm really happy with the way these are turning out. The mechanical aspects of the mods are totally dialed-in now and it looks like a factory-assembled product.

oh, and sounds sweet too!

Producer/Engineer
takin' a dinner break

Post by Producer/Engineer » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:34 pm

I will probably get my NT1A back from your shop around the middle of March and will be posting up a review shortly after that. I've listened closely quite a few times to the clips on your website that were done with the modded NT1A and am excited and very pleased with the improved captures delivered with your mod! I am also very happy when comparing the clip to the Neumann U87 purple badge and actually prefer the modded NT1A when comparing the two clips to eachother. Looking forward to the experience first hand!!

Michael_Joly
pushin' record

Post by Michael_Joly » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:36 am

Oh, I've got about 6 NT1 / 1a mics in-house right now in queue. Looking forward to getting them all back into the hands of their owners!

Producer/Engineer
takin' a dinner break

Post by Producer/Engineer » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:30 am

you may only have 6 right now, but when everyone gets to listen to your clip and hears the mod on the NT1A, you should get about 16 at a time! I'm sure, as I have read posts everywhere that a lot of guys like me have had their NT1A's "parked for quite a while" due to the brittle high end and that's one of the issues that your mod addresses and cures in such a great way.

ricercar.record
gettin' sounds

Post by ricercar.record » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:58 am

very cool

before your mod of this mic came out I actually had just bought the Rode NT1a and brought it to a recording session I was using my school's studio for to A/B it with a Neumann U87Ai and a Microtech Gefell UM900 we have there, really just to see how it would hold up and trying to decide if I had made a good purchase and maybe use it on some Vox. I did end up using the UM900 on the lead Vox because the 900 had that warmth and natural low end to it similar to the U87 but seemed more detailed/accurate in the highs. However, I was pretty amazed how my Rode NT1a stock stood up against the U87. I did notice that emphasis on the sibilance frequency ranges (sometimes weird very slightly harsh high end, with certain singers) but other than that they were very similar to my ears. I actually ended up using the NT1a on some backup vocals and double vox. Anyway, just thought it was really awesome to see that mod a month or so after testing my Rode out. I have been wanting to send mine to get modded ever since, especially after listening to your samples online. Right now all my money goes to pay for my education unfortunately, but once I can spend the money I will definitely be getting this done. Just wanted to say thanks for your awesome work Mr. Joly. Once I'm out of school and am unable to use those nice expensive mics my school owns, it's good to know I can get a $329 mod to a $230 mic and it sound better than those thousand dollar gems.

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Post by permanent hearing damage » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:09 pm

Producer/Engineer wrote:you may only have 6 right now, but when everyone gets to listen to your clip and hears the mod on the NT1A, you should get about 16 at a time! I'm sure, as I have read posts everywhere that a lot of guys like me have had their NT1A's "parked for quite a while" due to the brittle high end and that's one of the issues that your mod addresses and cures in such a great way.
ha. i'm in the same boat. the nt1 was the first condenser i bought and it has sat unused for the most part for many years. definitely adding this mod to my wants list.

Michael_Joly
pushin' record

Post by Michael_Joly » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:23 pm

The first user reviews are just coming for the NT1 / NT1a mods.

And there's some new VO audio in this GearSlutz thread.

Producer/Engineer
takin' a dinner break

Post by Producer/Engineer » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:53 am

My Rode NT1a sat in the mic cabinet for over a year due to sibilance issues on vocals. I also ended up using other mics for other applications simply because I like them better on those instruments.

That has all changed now after getting my mic back from the "Michael Joly mod on the Rode NT1a!" On vocals the sibilance is gone! No more rushing to a de-esser. What really amazes me about this mod is the amount of detail that the mic captures! I haven't found anything that I wouldn't use it on now. In fact, I can now sell three of my mics that are really no longer of use! So, my NT1a went from no use to a "go to" after the mod. A complete transformation. Best money ever spent. Worth every penny.