Remote Button to push Talkback on Console (Ghost) ?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

deadair
steve albini likes it

Remote Button to push Talkback on Console (Ghost) ?

Post by deadair » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:30 am

I have a Soundcraft Ghost board and use the built-in talkback mic and button on it. For years I've kind of hated leaning over the board to hit the button all the time, but now I've broken my ankle and positioning myself to have access to it is even trickier, more cumbersome.

I assume there must be simple gadgets that run through a cable and as you push a button on one end it physically extends and pushes a button on the other end? I think cameras used to have similar devices or maybe I'm confused about that technology? Anyways, I have tried googling this with no success, but I really don't think its too far fetched.

Has anyone rigged up something similar for any button for any use? I have moderate soldering skills if I need to construct it, but I'm certainly no electrical wizard. I also don't want to have to re-wire anything in the board itself. Sadly the board does not appear to have a talkback remote control jack.

Any insights or links to relevant ideas would be extremely appreciated!

Z-Plane
pushin' record

Post by Z-Plane » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:10 pm

Cheap switched mic into a channel, or wherever the talkback gets eventually routed ?

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:42 pm

I'm with Zplane, I would just get a cheap switched mic or an old pricipal's office type mic and plug it into one of the channels and route it where you want to go.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

junomat
re-cappin' neve

Post by junomat » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:38 am

I have a Tascam console and I wired up a cheap guitar footswitch.

deadair
steve albini likes it

Post by deadair » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:32 pm

After looking around I'm considering getting a Rolls MS111 to use with a random mic I don't use much. Are there other products like this that I'm unaware of (that may be cheaper)?

http://www.pro-audio-warehouse.com/ms111.html

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:55 pm

There's the proco Cough Drop pedal, a very similar gadget...don't know if it's cheaper. You might be able to dig the schematic for it up and build one of your own from it...

There's also the option to use a mic with a switch on it, on an inline barrel switch. There are also some mic cables with a switch built into the female end, for adding a switch to a mic that otherwise dowsn't have one.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:51 pm

The Scum wrote:There's the proco Cough Drop pedal, a very similar gadget...don't know if it's cheaper. You might be able to dig the schematic for it up and build one of your own from it...

There's also the option to use a mic with a switch on it, on an inline barrel switch. There are also some mic cables with a switch built into the female end, for adding a switch to a mic that otherwise dowsn't have one.
3p1t momentary switch with xlr jacks on either end. Simple on off button. Just run it to a channel.

Nate Dort
tinnitus

Post by Nate Dort » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:00 am

Marc Alan Goodman wrote:
The Scum wrote:There's the proco Cough Drop pedal, a very similar gadget...don't know if it's cheaper. You might be able to dig the schematic for it up and build one of your own from it...

3p1t momentary switch with xlr jacks on either end. Simple on off button. Just run it to a channel.
Why 3P1T (3PST)? A normally-closed pushbutton SPST is easier to find and won't cause pops when pushed. Just place it across the + and - lines of the balanced cable to short them together when you want it muted.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:59 am

Ha, I had a 3 in the morning brain freeze. Even simpler.