Problem punching in with Pro Tools

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

audiosweet
gettin' sounds

Problem punching in with Pro Tools

Post by audiosweet » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:56 pm

I don't know if somethin got turned off but when i try to punch in I have teh track armed to record...I mark where i want to punch and give myself a few seconds of lead in with pre-roll...but there is no audio on the track that's armed until i cross over the punch in point. This never used to happen. I used to be able to even punch in drums and you would hear the audio when all the tracks were armed but not anymore. Would anyone know what setting and where it is for me to switch around?

jmiller
steve albini likes it

Post by jmiller » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:00 pm

Toggle "Auto Input"? Option+K (mac) or Alt+K (win).

audiosweet
gettin' sounds

Post by audiosweet » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:51 pm

UGH it worked! thanks so much

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:53 am

Yup. It's a button for each individual channel right next to the Solo and Mute buttons on HD. I don't know why they hid it away in a menu in LE. It's almost as confusing as that damn n button turning on and off "insert follows playback"

Aquaman
gettin' sounds

Post by Aquaman » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:13 am

It's almost as confusing as that damn n button turning on and off "insert follows playback".
AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!! HULK SMASH STUPID N BUTTON!!!!

Also, Hulk tired of pressing option-K to toggle Auto Input Monitor one million times a day.

jmiller
steve albini likes it

Post by jmiller » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:47 pm

Marc Alan Goodman wrote:Yup. It's a button for each individual channel right next to the Solo and Mute buttons on HD. I don't know why they hid it away in a menu in LE. It's almost as confusing as that damn n button turning on and off "insert follows playback"
You know which one I wish I could disable? The Y key (shortcut for "move to song start"). I can't tell you how many times I've been trying to zoom in with T and accidentally hit Y and suddenly find myself at the very beginning of the session. ARGH!