How to include a download coupon in a vinyl LP?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

???????
resurrected

How to include a download coupon in a vinyl LP?

Post by ??????? » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:47 am

This may not really be a 'recording technique,' but since there is no 'distribution techniques' forum, I figured it fits as well here as anywhere.

I am going to be releasing my first-ever vinyl LP in the coming months. I want to include a download coupon as is standard practice, but I don't know how I will implement this on the client-side. In other words, is there some kind of web-based service I can subscribe to that will allow one-time downloads with any of several thousand unique codes that I can have access to in ahead of time to insert into the LP?

Thanks in advance for insight, especially from someone who has done this before.

mscottweber
pushin' record

Post by mscottweber » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:22 pm

I have never done this (I would really love to release something on vinyl someday), but bandcamp.com offers something like this. They generate promotional codes for free downloads of songs or full albums. I think they give you 200 to start with, and from there im not sure what you have to do to get more.

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:32 pm

msweber wrote:I have never done this (I would really love to release something on vinyl someday), but bandcamp.com offers something like this. They generate promotional codes for free downloads of songs or full albums. I think they give you 200 to start with, and from there im not sure what you have to do to get more.
Thanks for the tip. I went to their site and poked around, and found something similar but not exact.

They have a deal where you can sell an LP on their site and when the buyer purchases it they get immediate download, and the LP ships to them. What I want to do is have a piece of paper inserted into the LP jacket where the purchaser (who might be at a show, or wherever) then goes to a URL and types in the promo code for a one-time download.

If band camp has something like that, maybe I just missed it.

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:35 pm

mscottweber
pushin' record

Post by mscottweber » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:44 pm

NIIICE! I didn't realize they would print 'em out for you, with album artwork and everything. I just assumed you'd have to print them out yourself. I hope that works well for you!

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:50 pm

Still interested in other alternatives, by the way. But this is a start!

iamthecosmos
pushin' record

Post by iamthecosmos » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:08 pm

You can do this with a paypal shop like Zencart. I think it was originally designed for digital distribution of software but it can be applied to mp3's.

sound for sandwiches
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by sound for sandwiches » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:13 pm

I believe United record Pressing will generate these and stuff them in the records for you for an extra fee; probably other record plants do this too.

My band's working on an LP right now and plan to use the bandcamp service. we already have our previous records hosted there, so it's a no brainer.

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:27 pm

sound for sandwiches wrote:I believe United record Pressing will generate these and stuff them in the records for you for an extra fee; probably other record plants do this too.

My band's working on an LP right now and plan to use the bandcamp service. we already have our previous records hosted there, so it's a no brainer.
You are right, United will do this. However, United will NOT be my pressing plant of choice. 8)

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:05 pm

To be honest I kinda just bulled it on my last two records.

I included a paper insert with a "download coupon" on it in each vinyl. However every code was the same. it looked obscure, so who the hell's gonna question it? Plus, they're already mp3s, if someone wants to share it with their friends they're just gonna send it to them. Why bother figuring out whether the download site is real or not?

Anyway I made a page on my own website where if you enter the code it sends you to a download page. Easy, cheap, works great. Only issue is if the album blows up. Then you can afford to use something else on new pressings and just take the site down. If someone emails you to complain just send them the record!

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:43 am

Marc Alan Goodman wrote:To be honest I kinda just bulled it on my last two records.

I included a paper insert with a "download coupon" on it in each vinyl. However every code was the same. it looked obscure, so who the hell's gonna question it? Plus, they're already mp3s, if someone wants to share it with their friends they're just gonna send it to them. Why bother figuring out whether the download site is real or not?

Anyway I made a page on my own website where if you enter the code it sends you to a download page. Easy, cheap, works great. Only issue is if the album blows up. Then you can afford to use something else on new pressings and just take the site down. If someone emails you to complain just send them the record!
I had considered that approach as well. :D

blackdiscoball
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by blackdiscoball » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:21 pm

Doesn't bandcamp.com have something like that?
myspace.com/blackdiscoballstudio/

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:10 pm

blackdiscoball wrote:Doesn't bandcamp.com have something like that?
I can understand (I guess) not reading a whole thread before responding... but, did you not even read the very first response?

Teacher's Pet
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Teacher's Pet » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:28 pm

We did a real low-tech method. We had the mastering engineer scribe some silly in-jokes in the LP matrix, then put a note in the liner notes that said "email us with the 'secret message' and we'll send you a link to your mp3s."

Not exactly the most secure method but we don't sell many records and I figure if our album is popular enough that people wanna steal it then that's an OK problem to have.

The point is to not penalize the vinyl buyer if they want it on their iPods or whatever. I think all the "unique coding" business is a little unnecessary unless you're really racking up sales and making money, etc.

blackdiscoball
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by blackdiscoball » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:41 pm

blackdiscoball wrote:
Doesn't bandcamp.com have something like that?

I can understand (I guess) not reading a whole thread before responding... but, did you not even read the very first response?
I did but earlier in the day and didn't respond until later in the day. Sorry.
myspace.com/blackdiscoballstudio/