Looking for a "throaty" acoustic

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:41 am

Agreed on the light touch on the dobro. I played with a guy who had a great feel on his resonator, and it never sounded honky (unless I played it).

Not sure if this was mentioned already, but a dynamic mic like a 57, re10, etc., etc. can often bring out a nice mid-range on acoustics.

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:14 am

If the fret markers are spray painted on, you are on the right track.
This is good advice for any walk of life. :)
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:34 am

I have a 1963 Gibson LG-0 that is old-timey, especially with Silk and Steels on it. Love this guitar. All mahogany, smaller than dreadnaught, mojo, etc. I paid like $500 for mine and it's in great condition. New ebony bridge (the originals from that year were plastic!) and zero cracks. These things are ladder-braced, btw.

Jeff
Last edited by Jeff White on Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

minorkeylee
gettin' sounds

Post by minorkeylee » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:47 pm

ipressrecord wrote:I have a 1963 Gibson LG-0 that is old-timey, especially with Silk and Steels on it. Love this guitar. All mahogany, smaller than dreadnaught, mojo, etc. I paid like $500 for mine and it's in great condition. New ebony bridge (the originals from that year were plastic!) and zero cracks. These things are ladder-brased, btw.

Jeff
+1.

I have a 1942 Gibson LG-2. Very similar. Would definitely classify as 'throaty' and dark. Been in my family since it was new. I've had it for 22 years now and could not imagine life without it. They can be found in the $800 range. Especially later year models.

fuzz
takin' a dinner break

Post by fuzz » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:01 am

My 52' J-45 is the loudest, most biting acoustic I've ever played. Definitely a "boomer." A much different sound than Martins. I've owned several "f hole" gtrs as was put forward in this thread, as well as Nationals, Dobros, and though they seem to have more mids thay really don't cut it for many styles. Try a slope shouldered J-45 and maybe try it with a heavier guage (13's). In the end it really is all just the player, but they're great guitars.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:03 am

AstroDan wrote:Okay, Romeo and Juliet nailed it. That is the instrument!
For a more recent example, think Bon Iver. OK, it's a national steel, but you get the idea....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/josiefraser/3832227024/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/josiefraser/3832220454/