Mobile PT Rig Opinions?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:32 pm

Pro Fire Light Bridge thing has buggy drivers and is not reliable. Do not consider it for live critical work. You will be sorry. Home studio sure, but out where you have no tme to fix anything and the show must go on....fuggedah bowd it.

Yes to Aurora idea. Yes to not buying something you have to modify to make it any good.
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:52 pm

dsw wrote:Pro Fire Light Bridge thing has buggy drivers and is not reliable. Do not consider it for live critical work. You will be sorry. Home studio sure, but out where you have no tme to fix anything and the show must go on....fuggedah bowd it.

Yes to Aurora idea. Yes to not buying something you have to modify to make it any good.
+10000 for needing something reliable. I didn't realize there were problems with the Light Bridge.

BTW thanks to everyone for talking me out of buying a BLA 003 or old Mix Plus rig, for now (NOT being sarcastic, I really mean it). I was planning on making some purchases with my tax refund, but instead I think I am going to take the more prudent approach (since I am still not clear on what I want) and pay off all my non-student loan/mortgage debt with it, and then slowly buy my rig one microphone at a time, until I am ready to make a real educated decision.

Plus I think for now I think I need to figure what I want my niche to be BEFORE I dump money into more gear...its just been so long since I've bought any real gear that I'm really itching for it..

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:57 pm

http://www.samash.com/p/Alpha-Link-AX-A ... _-49968873

and

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FireStuLP

This will be my mobile rig in the next month. Outboard pres. 24 tracks capable of 32.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:17 pm

ctmsound wrote:http://www.samash.com/p/Alpha-Link-AX-A ... _-49968873

and

This will be my mobile rig in the next month. Outboard pres. 24 tracks capable of 32.
Definitely let me know how that works out...I haven't heard the SSL converters...but seems to have very appealing features... I'm not a fan of SSL consoles (though any console is better than what I have now...) but I'd be curious to know how the SSL converters compare to the Lynx.

LazarusLong
steve albini likes it

Post by LazarusLong » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:57 am

dsw wrote:Pro Fire Light Bridge thing has buggy drivers and is not reliable.
I've not heard this. Are you referring to the original drivers? If so, I agree.

Also, M-Audio hit a bad stretch with the 1814 and the likes (I owned one, hated it), but now they're making some decent stuff again.
The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And vice versa.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:13 am

Are you editing on site? Why couldn't you get something like a HD24? They sound great and are super stable, and you can just export the files later with the FireWire port (this works best with a PC, for some reason)

You could use a Lynx Aurora 16 with a Firewire port, if you don't mind using a project like Cubase. You can later transfer the files to Pro Tools.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

LazarusLong
steve albini likes it

Post by LazarusLong » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:53 am

Sean Sullivan wrote:Are you editing on site? Why couldn't you get something like a HD24? They sound great and are super stable, and you can just export the files later with the FireWire port (this works best with a PC, for some reason)

You could use a Lynx Aurora 16 with a Firewire port, if you don't mind using a project like Cubase. You can later transfer the files to Pro Tools.
Forget all that I said and listen to this advice. I always forget about the HD24.
The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And vice versa.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:38 am

Yup. If you've got another medium to port it to and work on it later the HD24 is reliable and great sounding.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:59 pm

ctmsound wrote:http://www.samash.com/p/Alpha-Link-AX-A ... _-49968873

and

This looks really appealing to me, I think this might be the way I'll go.

Are you editing on site? Why couldn't you get something like a HD24? They sound great and are super stable, and you can just export the files later with the FireWire port (this works best with a PC, for some reason)
I might need to do some degree of editing on site...not anything super extensive probably, but enough to where it wouldn't be efficient to have to punch in/out to fix everything. I used a Mackie 24 track recorder in one of the studios at school and it was "okay" for tracking basics but not exactly ideal...if I wanted to restrict myself to that kind of workflow I'd be happier just recording analog to begin with! That and because I've already invested in a decent laptop so I'd rather use it, maybe get an HD24 if I needed a secondary system without fancy conversion.

Are you talking about using an HD24 with or without the internal converters?