Moderators: drumsound, tomb

junkstar
re-cappin' neve

Lexicon Blu-Ray

Post by junkstar » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:57 am

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:35 am

Man, this kinda stuff doesn't even surprise me anymore. Not that they weren't already, but modern Lex gear is now definitely on my shit list.

LazarusLong
steve albini likes it

Post by LazarusLong » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:45 am

Marc Alan Goodman wrote:Man, this kinda stuff doesn't even surprise me anymore. Not that they weren't already, but modern Lex gear is now definitely on my shit list.
I'm not sure what's more outrageous : the fact that Lexicon did this, or the fact that there's a market for this. I think this was one of the more honest moves in the "-phile" markets in recent history. Too bad it doesn't come with some cable lifters!

And the PCM96 still sounds great.

EDIT: It's a very cynical move on Lexicon's part, and that I don't appreciate it. Laughable or not, no consumer should be preyed upon.
The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And vice versa.

kingmetal
buyin' gear

Post by kingmetal » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:33 pm

This kind of thing doesn't even begin to surprise me, and is one of the main reasons I'm not saving up to pay for top dollar equipment -- most of it just isn't worth what you pay for these days given that manufacturing (for the most part) is getting cheaper.

Lex doing this just makes sense -- their products are priced several orders of magnitude higher than the parts and manufacturing must cost. The digital bits keep getting cheaper, the RnD is done, and the price just stays high.

kingmetal
buyin' gear

Post by kingmetal » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:43 pm

Haha this just keeps getting better. I sent this article to someone who is very familiar with THX process (which is all I can say) and he confirmed that THX does not have necessary equipment to test either blue-ray player in the ways that they claim they can and do not do any sort of manufacturing sampling after the prototype phase. They didn't do a damn thing to this product! More snake oil.

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:48 pm

It's a shame that whoever is heading the company these days (Harmon International, anyone?) feels it is necessary to do this. Lexicon has such a great history.

I will say that I recently bought an MX300 for use with my analog synths in a live setting. Just as an experiment last week, I decided to test out the USB/plug-in capability. I was mixing some live recordings of my trio and was using some fairly decent plug-in reverbs.

To my surprise, the MX300 sounded far better than my plug-ins on that material.

Later in the week I was sitting in on the mastering session for the CD. I had printed the reverb on a separate stereo track so the mastering engineer could add his own. I knew he had better reverbs, including the Lexicon 300L and a real EMT plate. We listened to the MX300 track and he matched the settings on the 300L for the organ (the drums sounded better through the real plate). Surprisingly, the only real difference in quality between the 300L and the MX300 was the width. The 300L had a bit more depth and wideness to the image.

So yeah... re-branding a $500 Blu-Ray player sucks. Lexicon, who makes home theater stuff, and Lexicon Pro, who make professional audio devices, are two separate companies, but both owned by Harmon. I don't think this serves as an indictment of the entire company.
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

AudioHipster
audio school graduate

New Verb

Post by AudioHipster » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:12 pm

I can't say anything good about new outboard reverb not unless it's cost you your right testicle, and I think I will keep mine. but there is some very good older stuff that I still enjoy and use, the old LP 140 Plate is great Vocals drums and so is the 1983 lexicon reverberator 200, the Yamaha D5000 delay amazing and I like the 990 and the SPX 90 & II even the D1500 and the Roland SDE 1000 (for guitar along with a Maxon 808 yea it rocks) , 2500 and 3000 and even the SRV3030D is cool.... so I don't even look at the cheeper new stuff is is all hype or a waste of hard earned cash.
There?s the good the bad and the overpriced but the worst is the
overpriced junk we find flooding today?s market.
?Drink better beer brew your own.?
AudioHipster

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:09 am

This certainly is not the first time a historically relevant brand name gets pummeled into dust by "evil overlords" at the uber-corp that buys them.

We could probably name a zillion.....

Starting with GT................... okay, done... too negative.