MCI JH-110 Series Sync Relay

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

MCI JH-110 Series Sync Relay

Post by Al_Huero » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:20 pm

I've got a dead sync relay on one of my channels in my machine. The original relay was made by Aromat with a number K4E24V-9. I've found replacements at few old component resellers on the web; but one quote I received was for $145 a pop. I'm waiting on a quote from the guys over at Blevins; but does anyone know of a currently manufactured replacement that would work?

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:07 pm

I think Aromat is now marketed as Panasonic.

Take some careful measurements, then leaf through the Digikey catalog to see if you can find a physical match. I'm almost certain that the "4e" means 4 pole, and the "24V" means a 24 Volt coil.

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Al_Huero » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:14 pm

Right on, thanks. My only question is whether it's running AC or DC; but I can check the schematic; and I sort of doubt there's a voltage transformer in there.

CurtZHP
re-cappin' neve

Post by CurtZHP » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:25 pm

I'm thinking 24V coil as well, because that's what the power supply puts out.

You could just find a generic 24V relay, tie wrap it to the chassis and run wires to it. Not pretty, but it's inside the machine. It's not like anyone will see it.
"TEMPUS FUGIT" the Novel -- Now Available!!
http://www.curtyengst.com

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:01 pm

Relays are the backbone of industrial electronics. They've got moving parts and they wear out, but there are reasons that can't be replaced with some other technology. I'd seriously doubt a relay that MCI used in the 70's is truly obsolete. The vendor may have changed hands 3 times, and renumbered their parts at each step, but the a nearly same part will be out there.

Seriously - the Panasonic stuff I saw at DK had numbers pretty darn close to the one mentioned.

As for AC vs DC - you could always actuate the one on the channel that's working, and measure the voltage present. Also, just because a coil is spec'd at a particular voltage, it doesn't mean that's what's switching it.

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Al_Huero » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:56 am

Good info you guys, thanks.

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Al_Huero » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:05 am

So, after some searching this is the closest match I can find at this point:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... Z4-V700-ND

I got some more info off the Aromat relay:
24 VDC coil
Contacts rated 2A @ 28 VDC; 1A @ 125 VAC

The dimensions between the two relays match pretty well. The one thing I'm having trouble determining is whether the contacts/terminals are set up the same way and will interface with the existing socket properly. Here's a photo of the schematic off the existing relay. It's a bit hard to see, but if you can make out the way one set looks the are basically four equivalent ones.

Nate Dort
tinnitus

Post by Nate Dort » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:55 am

Page 4 of that datasheet has the wiring diagram for the new relay. Looks like the same layout and default state to me.

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Al_Huero » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:11 am

Right on, thanks Nate!

cjmnash
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjmnash » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:46 am

i restore MCI machines and have thought i had a few bad sync (& record) relays in the past, but turns out a simple cleaning of the pins did the trick....never actually had a bad relay.

try that, hopefully it'll work for ya.

chris mara
www.nobraineraudio.com
www.welcometo1979.com
Owner: Welcome To 1979 Studio & Mara Machines

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Al_Huero » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:22 am

Yeah, I've cleaned them like crazy without luck. I've had a couple more go bad switching back and forth from repro to cue mode. If I swap relays around between "good" and "bad" channels; the problem always follows the suspect relay. I'll try scrubbing on the terminals of the actual relays a bit more to see if that helps.