1x12 Speaker Cabs

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

1x12 Speaker Cabs

Post by Recycled_Brains » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:59 am

I've been thinking about getting a nice 1x12 cab to pair up with my 50w Marshall JMP for recording purposes, and the occassional live gig when I don't want to use my 4x12 (though it wouldn't be exclusively limited to use with that head). I figure it will also allow me to spend less on amps in the future, as a lot of the boutique stuff offers the option of head only or combo.

So far I've been looking at the Emery Sound, Ear Candy, and Avatar. They all seem like good choices, but I'd love to hear recommendations and experiences.

What are you guys liking in a 1x12 cab/speaker combo around here?
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:14 am

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Re: 1x12 Speaker Cabs

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:26 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:I've been thinking about getting a nice 1x12 cab to pair up with my 50w Marshall JMP for recording purposes, and the occassional live gig when I don't want to use my 4x12 (though it wouldn't be exclusively limited to use with that head). I figure it will also allow me to spend less on amps in the future, as a lot of the boutique stuff offers the option of head only or combo.

So far I've been looking at the Emery Sound, Ear Candy, and Avatar. They all seem like good choices, but I'd love to hear recommendations and experiences.

The Ear candy stuff is really well made. I have tracked a couple of their cabs, a 2x2, and a 1X12, and they both sounded incredible. I love their 2X12 with the intentionally different drivers... like a celestion vintage 30 in one side and a greenback in the other side. totally great concept.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Re: 1x12 Speaker Cabs

Post by Recycled_Brains » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:34 am

joel hamilton wrote:
Recycled_Brains wrote:I've been thinking about getting a nice 1x12 cab to pair up with my 50w Marshall JMP for recording purposes, and the occassional live gig when I don't want to use my 4x12 (though it wouldn't be exclusively limited to use with that head). I figure it will also allow me to spend less on amps in the future, as a lot of the boutique stuff offers the option of head only or combo.

The Ear candy stuff is really well made. I have tracked a couple of their cabs, a 2x2, and a 1X12, and they both sounded incredible. I love their 2X12 with the intentionally different drivers... like a celestion vintage 30 in one side and a greenback in the other side. totally great concept.

Good to hear. I became interested in their cabs after reading that Scott Kelly from Neurosis uses one of their 2x12s live and in the studio. Strong endorsement in my world.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

ampguy
buyin' a studio

I like sealed, ported cabs

Post by ampguy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:51 am

The old Mesas are good, and the '80s fender completely sealed black carpet (with port) work well.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:14 am

I use a Bullfrog with a 300w. EV as an extension for my Silver Jubilee 2550 combo, and also with a Musicman HD 130 head to play bass through.

The cab is indestructible, ported, with a heavy but light metal grill and excellent spring-recessed handles - not too bulky or heavy, and sounds great.

The other cool thing is it's painted black; when it starts getting rough, or I want to cover my last band's stencils, just shoot it with a spray-can.

I think I paid US$150 for it used about 10 years ago ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:57 am

For me there is only one choice: the Bag End single 12 guitar cabinets. I really, really miss mine.

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:55 am

I can't say enough how much I love the Ear Candy 1x15 I just got.

Sounds great and it's a work of art to look at.

Hand made for a really fair price...*warning* it might take a while to get but well worth it IMO

here's a pic from their site of my 15

http://www.earcandycabs.com/articles.ph ... cle_id=241

the one on the left at the bottom of the custom page
Trans mahogany with diablo tolex

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:26 pm

Yip. I own 2 earcandy soverign 1x12s. One bass and one guitar. I sold all my other cabs off, they sound that good. Only other thing I'd want around is maybe a big 70's fender 2x12.

It's definitely a long wait but well worth it in my opinion.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:31 pm

What kinds of speakers are you guys using in your Ear Candys?
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

kingmetal
buyin' gear

Post by kingmetal » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:04 pm

JWL wrote:For me there is only one choice: the Bag End single 12 guitar cabinets. I really, really miss mine.
I've got some kind of old-model Bag End 1x15. Bare wood case, open back, logo burned into the wood up top (late 70s - early 80s vintage if I were to guess).

Hands down the best single 15 I've ever heard. No idea how it sounds so big, the thing is featherlight and just about as big as the speaker circumference. Beats the shit out of my Fender Showman.

BTW I play bass, not guitar.

I don't know of those speakers are really built by hobbits or what.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:03 pm

Recycled_Brains wrote:What kinds of speakers are you guys using in your Ear Candys?
Eminence in the bass cab. I had a sugarcone in the guitar cab but I moved it in to my JMI 4 combo and it's just too good there. So now I have a greenback reissue in the earcandy. It's actually a little more to my taste when matching up with the few heads I have (blackface Dual Showman, Sovtek Mig 50, Sitori Sonics custom KT88 head).

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:10 pm

kingmetal wrote: I've got some kind of old-model Bag End 1x15. Bare wood case, open back, logo burned into the wood up top (late 70s - early 80s vintage if I were to guess).

Hands down the best single 15 I've ever heard. No idea how it sounds so big, the thing is featherlight and just about as big as the speaker circumference. Beats the shit out of my Fender Showman.

BTW I play bass, not guitar.

I don't know of those speakers are really built by hobbits or what.
Yeah, the Bag Ends are extremely efficient, and they have great tone, and they are durable as heck. I used to roll with a 24 space rack, with 2 bag end single 12s at the bottom, which takes up about 18 spaces. THen the top 6 spaces had my guitar preamp , power amp, effects, and a furman strip. Rawk.