The ethics of buying gear

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:26 am

What if you bought gear and used it to teach free classes for young/poor kids?

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:19 am

There was an article in TapeOp quite a while ago about a guy teaching recording at a charter school in Chicago. My professional life is around education/training and I've been nursing this idea that you could build a complete middle school curriculum that would run 1-2 years all around the creation of a record (CD... er... bunch of mp3s). You could touch every state-mandated topic from the context of making music. More importantly, you could probably touch almost every art subject as well. It would be cool.

Chaconne
pluggin' in mics

Post by Chaconne » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:22 pm

It can be really rewarding teaching. Its easy to forget that some talented people just dont know the right people or have any disposable income whatsoever - and it prevents them seeing just how easy it can be these days to make a CD.

I have done just a little stuff like this, and its always fascinating. I have seen kids been given a mic, been played a few beats on a laptop - and just emerge with the greatest voices. Toast them a quick mix - and its something to play at home - and maybe they see how one more computer at home gives them creative freedom.
Some times its heartbreaking - I remember a guy who was a great natural drummer and her mum semi pleaded 'do you know who can teach him?' And I realised that for some - even really talented kids - music is still a luxury that has to be let go - lack of space, no money for lessons, or no psychological peace. I couldn't tell her how much it would cost.

I'm touched by a board that seams to have such a cool response to the original post. Spread some of this around. Give to, but give the time to if you can.

LazarusLong
steve albini likes it

Post by LazarusLong » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:41 pm

kingmetal wrote:so I think of it kind of like a public service, even though it certainly isn't helping any starving children or poverty stricken families anywhere.
Kind of? How about "absolutely"! That's really a great thing you're doing. Giving kids hope and encouragement in music.
The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And vice versa.

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:10 am

If you become successful, you can donate evern more and make more of a difference.

If you're not, you may end up on the recieving end.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

mixohoytian
pluggin' in mics

Post by mixohoytian » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:40 am

music is a luxury
giving musically = just as valuable as giving money
I have no money, but I plan to start a free music school for Indians in Panama, where I grew up
I'm poor, because I put everything into music education
and then funding my own music
completely hopeless to ever make any money back, but I did it anyways...cause ...well music is the only thing that means anything to me

If I had money I would give
materialism can only bring so much joy, then, once it wears off, emptiness
I plan on at least giving back all my knowledge to underprivileged kids

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:32 pm

Jim Williams wrote:If you become successful, you can donate evern more and make more of a difference.

If you're not, you may end up on the recieving end.
ha ha. so true, especially the second part.

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Post by Dakota » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:29 am

Balance. Take enough care of yourself so as to be able to effectively give to others.

And +1 on teaching. A great way to make the world a better place.