Looking for a step up from my Duet

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jh8406
ass engineer

Looking for a step up from my Duet

Post by jh8406 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:41 pm

I'm doing a little research and thinking about improving my sonic fidelity with a new interface. I figure this would be a huge part in making just better sounding recordings. Any suggestions appreciated.

palinilap
buyin' gear

Post by palinilap » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:01 pm

I have no experience with the Duet, but love my Black Lion Sparrow. Excellent definition. Almost impossible to sound muddy. Got mine for $500 on ebay, and then noticed another went for $450 the next day!

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:10 pm

Not sure what you want to spend, but that Sparrow into a simple SPDIF interface (or your apple computer if you have one) along with 2 channels of decent mic pre, you'd step that up easy.

firby
takin' a dinner break

Post by firby » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:46 am

The Duet sounds pretty good. Are you using the pres on it ? What does your entire signal chain look like and what are you doing ?

To tromp the duet I would think you would need to look at a UA product or something that is more than a grand. Maybe there is a better way to improve your sonics.

My only complaint with the duet is that it is just two channels. I think that is a move on the company's part to try and get people that upgrade to buy the symphony system.
I'm a bad man!

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:22 am

firby wrote:The Duet sounds pretty good. Are you using the pres on it ? What does your entire signal chain look like and what are you doing ?

To tromp the duet I would think you would need to look at a UA product or something that is more than a grand. Maybe there is a better way to improve your sonics.

My only complaint with the duet is that it is just two channels. I think that is a move on the company's part to try and get people that upgrade to buy the symphony system.
I'd think more along the lines of they want someone to go from a Duet to an ensemble myself...going to a Symphony system is probably pushing the needs of Duet owners.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:13 am

I love apogee gear but I haven't heard anyone say anything nice about the ensemble. What's your rig like? What's your budget?

palinilap
buyin' gear

Post by palinilap » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:22 pm

kslight wrote:
firby wrote:The Duet sounds pretty good. Are you using the pres on it ? What does your entire signal chain look like and what are you doing ?

I'd think more along the lines of they want someone to go from a Duet to an ensemble myself...going to a Symphony system is probably pushing the needs of Duet owners.
From what I understand, the Duet is basically just a two-channel Ensemble, with the same converters and pres. Shouldn't sound any different from the Duet.

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:20 am

Duet and Ensemble are identical builds. I sold my ensemble.

jh8406
ass engineer

Post by jh8406 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:10 am

I didn't think the duet and ensemble had the same pres. I was looking maybe to spend a grand but may need to reevaluate if the previous statement is true. I'm also in the market for a new mic or two. I use the duet for most things but use a Dav bg1 pre for vocals with a Rode NT2.

palinilap
buyin' gear

Post by palinilap » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:00 pm

jh8406 wrote:I didn't think the duet and ensemble had the same pres. I was looking maybe to spend a grand but may need to reevaluate if the previous statement is true. I'm also in the market for a new mic or two. I use the duet for most things but use a Dav bg1 pre for vocals with a Rode NT2.
Yep, it's true. Google "duet ensemble same converters preamps"

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:01 pm

Look at the RME Fireface UC. Way more in/out, really great convertors, $1200
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:49 am

I know people from apogee. the duet and the ensemble are the same.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:39 am

How did you determine that the Duet is the weak link? Are you sure you're getting all the fidelity that you can from that box already?

pk
buyin' gear

Post by pk » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:03 pm

I think you should re-evaluate your setup and find the weakest link, which, imo, wouldn't be the Duet.
Mics, pres, room acoustics, monitors, and...ahem...gain staging (an area surprisingly overlooked in the 'my digital recordings don't sound as good as the cd I'm referencing it to" queries). The Duet is a fine piece of equipment and capable of great results (and yes, it's a stripped down Ensemble, same pres and converters).

Also, you can maybe elaborate as to what exactly you are trying to improve?
What are you hearing (or not hearing for that matter) in your recordings that make you point to your Duet as needing an upgrade? Curious....

Good luck

jh8406
ass engineer

Post by jh8406 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:52 pm

Well, what I'm trying to accomplish is to get the sound of my recordings out of the sonic demo realm and into something better. I need to experiment a bit with my limited arsenal of mics(NT2, Sm7, 57s), my DAV pre, and my Duet. My main concern as it usually is is vocals. I really need reach a point where I realize where the "weakest link" is in my chain. This is an obvious but essential point. Sometimes I do think it is one component or some setting and it's always possible it could be the vocalist. Damn, I gotta get off my ass. Get to work.