one or two mic recording

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

andris
gettin' sounds

one or two mic recording

Post by andris » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:12 am

I'm looking for some modern examples of recordings that were done completely live using just one or two microphones. Two that I can think of right now are the Foghorn String Band: Rattlesnake Tidal Wave (I think it's just a U87 in omni?), and The Cowboy Junkies: Trinity Session (calrec stereo mic?)
dryhill studios
oneonta ny

jason_tsh
audio school

Post by jason_tsh » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:19 am

Aberfeldy recorded an LP with one mic. Here's some info on it:

"In 2003, Aberfeldy recorded 14 songs with producer Jim Sutherland at his studio above Edinburgh's Bongo Club, using only one microphone and no overdubbing. The resulting tracks were licensed to Rough Trade Records and released in 2004 as the album Young Forever."

There was an article about it in Sound On Sound magazine a few years ago.

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:13 pm

I think the Chesky label does all their recordings with one fancy-ass stereo mic. It's possible that not every single one is like that but I know that at least at one time that was their philosophy.

Also, the C.I.M.P. label does all their own free-jazz recordings to a stereo pair.

I don't know if you were looking for more mainstream or well-known music, but there you go...

austin
takin' a dinner break

Post by austin » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:21 pm

jason_tsh wrote:Aberfeldy recorded an LP with one mic. Here's some info on it:

"In 2003, Aberfeldy recorded 14 songs with producer Jim Sutherland at his studio above Edinburgh's Bongo Club, using only one microphone and no overdubbing. The resulting tracks were licensed to Rough Trade Records and released in 2004 as the album Young Forever."

There was an article about it in Sound On Sound magazine a few years ago.
That Aberfeldy record is fantastic. Do a search -- there's at least one TOMB thread about it, which also links to that article, I think.

bhmcc
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bhmcc » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:39 am

Chris Whitley - Dirt Floor

One of my personal favorites. Recorded in a barn with 1 stereo ribbon mic (Speiden?) and no overdubs. I think the Royer stereo ribbon design is based on this mic.

andris
gettin' sounds

Post by andris » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:34 pm

Thanks for the replies, I ordered some of the cds you mentioned, looking forward to hearing them. Anyone know if Rudy Van Gelder did any strictly stereo pair (or mono) recordings?
dryhill studios
oneonta ny