Epiphone Valve Junior Head

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Kazrog
audio school

Post by Kazrog » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:01 pm

ctmsound wrote:What's wrong with the radial box?
Nothing, Radial is a great company and it's a killer product. However, it's not a load box, so you would still need your speaker cabinet connected.
--
Shane McFee
Producer/Engineer - Kazrog Productions | Vocalist/Guitarist - Backmask | Creator - Recabinet

David_Kessler
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by David_Kessler » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:15 am

How did you put a Neurosis shirt on your South Park avatar? Classic!

Kazrog
audio school

Post by Kazrog » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:11 pm

David_Kessler wrote:How did you put a Neurosis shirt on your South Park avatar? Classic!
It's actually not Neurosis, it's my band, Backmask. I used Photoshop. Thanks! 8)
--
Shane McFee
Producer/Engineer - Kazrog Productions | Vocalist/Guitarist - Backmask | Creator - Recabinet

JdJ
pushin' record

Post by JdJ » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:35 pm

metanoiastudios wrote:
Thing is, this head doesn't have an FX send, or dedicated "line out", hence my question: would this be safe to do?
Just to clarify - No this is not safe to do. Not for your audio interface, your direct box or your amp - I'm just hoping that you already gleaned this info from other people's helpful posts...

metanoiastudios
buyin' gear

Post by metanoiastudios » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:48 am

JdJ wrote:
metanoiastudios wrote:
Thing is, this head doesn't have an FX send, or dedicated "line out", hence my question: would this be safe to do?
Just to clarify - No this is not safe to do. Not for your audio interface, your direct box or your amp - I'm just hoping that you already gleaned this info from other people's helpful posts...
Yep! got it. Thanks everyone for being so helpful! I ended up getting the head, purchased some new t00bz (Sovteks did sound a little harsh when cranked up all the way), and the basic Bitmo kit to mod the head. Now I just have to learn how to solder! :lol:

I'll start looking for a good cabinet for recording. If anybody has any ideas, feel free to let me know...I'd love to have something with two speakers, voiced completely different, with an open back. Bear in mind I know nothing when it comes to cabinets. I do want one specific cabinet to use with different low-wattage tube heads, like the Valve Jr, Tiny Terror, etc.
http://www.paulojuarez.com
*Will trade design work for gear!*

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:07 am

You could always build your own! That's what I did and I know nothing at all about cabs (except what I read and learned when making it).

Self-plug:

It's a 1x12 "convertible" - it can be open or closed back by putting a piece on the back. This is sure not the answer of "here's a cab you could get", but I just wanted to say it's one of the more fun and rewarding DIY projects I've done. I got dimension ideas from looking at Avatar, Lopo, and other cab companies. And the only soldering in the whole thing is connecting the jack to the speaker! (Or speakers to one another, then to the jack if it's got more than one speaker). I actually made mine to use as a cab with my valve junior (and pathfinder, and so I can start getting amp heads instead of combos). Always an option! Other than that, a lot of the cabs for small tube amps are pretty cheap and get good reviews. Before I decided to build my own, I looked a lot into just buying one, and people seem pretty happy with the VJ cab, Egnater cab that's sold with/for Rebels, etc. They're pretty cheap too if you went with a 1x12.