converting tracks from adats to daw: Help!!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

snoopy23
gettin' sounds

converting tracks from adats to daw: Help!!

Post by snoopy23 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:22 pm

I am meeting a friend at his home studio to convert some adat tracks into his computer (specifically into Reaper). He is planning on using a presonus firestudio to convert the tracks. my questions are:

1. Will this work?

2. Can I send 16 tracks (two adats) into the firestudio/ If so, how? Do I use 8 channels from that Adat outs to the presonus channel in's, and lightpipe from the other adat into the presonus for a full 16 tracks, or do we need to have two firestudios (or similar) to do this?

3. Are there any concerns I should consider that I haven't mentioned?

4. What kind of beer should I drink for the best results?

We are hoping to do this friday, so any input I may receive from the vast collective mind of Tape Op will be most helpful.

Thanks!!
Drummers might not be the smartest, but we are probably the strongest!

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:20 pm

Should work fine. 8 of the tracks will go through an extra pair of DAC ADC conversions, but it shouldn't be a big deal. Sometimes you have just to pay that price instead of dealing with lining things up later. Drink Samuel Smith.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Re: converting tracks from adats to daw: Help!!

Post by kayagum » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:30 am

snoopy23 wrote:4. What kind of beer should I drink for the best results?
That's the spirit! It depends on your enjoyment to productivity ratio you want. Belgian ales are tasty and fun, but not conducive to setting up anything requiring wiring or signal paths. I speak from experience :D

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:52 pm

Marc Alan Goodman wrote:Drink Samuel Smith.
ah yes....but the Nut Brown or the Organic Tadcaster....or perhaps an Oatmeal Stout if you aren't going to eat that day?

I'm going to say Samuel Smith's Nut Brown or a Negra Modelo. Medium dark lager's are great for doing trasfers! :wink:

and yeah....it should work fine using the #2 set up you described. Simultanious usuage of the analog inputs on an interface and the light pipe input have never caused me any problems. I'd put the most important tracks on the lightpipe input to avoid muddiness from the extra conversion. Also, make sure your input levels are low enough to keep from overloading the firestudios' a/d convertors. When I do analog transfers I try to keep the peaks under -.6 dbVu and it seems to keep the tracks sounding the best.

snoopy23
gettin' sounds

Post by snoopy23 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:49 pm

Thanks for all your "input", no pun intended!! I feel a bit better about this adventure. And of course I have think I need to go for the Oatmeal Stout, although as with any proper stout it must be allowed to warm up a bit before drinking. And I shall try and refrain from giving any of the gear a sip!

You all rock.
Drummers might not be the smartest, but we are probably the strongest!