protools output distortion

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

wenley
takin' a dinner break

protools output distortion

Post by wenley » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:49 pm

Hi All,

Last night I was getting ready to do some overdubbing on some tracks I'm working on for my band's new record. I had listened on my monitors, and plugged everything in, guitar into DI, DI was already plugged into my 7th Circle N72, and into my Digi002 from there. I've been using this setup consistently with no issues, but last night the guitar signal coming out of the outputs was totally distorted.

First I thought it was something in my chain, and I spent a bunch of time testing (changing the battery in my Countryman DI, switching guitar and mike cables, changing guitars, putting my guitar through my amp to make sure the guitar was OK, etc.) Everything was working fine, but I was still getting the distortion.

Finally, I just closed ProTools, and restarted. End of distortion. Hooray. Except I don't get my hour and a half back.

There was no change in anything I did yesterday except I trashed the ProTools prefs, the DigiSetUp prefs, and the DAE prefs just like John Keane says in The Musician's Guide to Pro Tools. I'd been having some problems with operation and that has always worked in the past. Anyone have a similar experience?

I'm running a Digi002
Outboard firewire drive with Oxford 911 or the newer 922? chipset
PT 7.3.1
Powerbook 15" 1.67 Ghz

Thanks!

suppositron
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by suppositron » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:59 am

I've run into the same thing using my old mbox mini. I'm now on a 002 factory and haven't run into it since. I was quite frustrating cause I was recording a jam session for a friend's band and I was sitting there looking like a dumb ass. Not exactly sure why it happens. Some kinda glitch in pro tools. but, just shutting it down and bringing it back up seems to fix it every time.

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Post by Dakota » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:16 am

This has happened to me as well, various PTLE setups on various systems. Learning experience: when it's that kind of thing, the quicker you just shut down and restart the whole system, the less overall time wasted.

Doesn't happen often, but I've seen it on mac or PC, mboxes, 002s, 003s, various firewire cards.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:31 am

PT freaks weird. It never blows in a way you expect it to. Always try restarting first. That's all I've got.

wenley
takin' a dinner break

thanks

Post by wenley » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:56 pm

Well, at least I know I'm not alone here with this annoying stupidity. Thanks everyone!

playinbass
alignin' 24-trk

Post by playinbass » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:25 pm

I've had it happen too....can't pin down the cause.