Ive been thinking about getting Reason...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

pk
buyin' gear

Post by pk » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:48 pm

Reason can sound incredible, it's all in how you use it, knowing it's limitations and being realistic about what it can and can't achieve is key.

Winstontaneous
takin' a dinner break

Post by Winstontaneous » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:51 pm

pk wrote:Reason can sound incredible, it's all in how you use it, knowing it's limitations and being realistic about what it can and can't achieve is key.
I agree, Reason is one of the most inspiring/expressive musical instruments I've ever discovered. Just picked up Record and the 2 work great together--I love the features in the new mixer.

To the OP's point, IME the stock raw acoustic instrument samples range from great (vibes) to iffy (horns). They're fun to mess with using filters/LFOs/FX etc. but I doubt they're on the level of Garritan, Miroslav, or other dedicated orchestral library.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:42 pm

Thanks for all the input guys. I think I might try and find a cheap used copy of Reason and give it a shot. It may not work well for orchestral stuff but it still seems pretty cool with all the other things it can do. Thanks again guys!

Spectrephonic
audio school

Post by Spectrephonic » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:23 am

First post yay!

If you use Record you can -besides everything in Reason- Record audio as well. The earlier complaint about the rack is solved in Record, you can use multiple racks side to side.

I do not think the Orchestral refills added with Reason are that good, I do not use strings as much, I rather use the Mellotron from the aforementioned Abby Road refill, stunning!
For strings etc I would use the Miroslav refills, sounds good, but I do not use it often enough.

Reason/Record are much more like hardware in the box, I like the way you can wire your own build fx with it and I really like the sound of the Thor synth. I hope I can pick up the new Reason 5 shortly with the Kong drumdesigner and the Neptune tuner.

If you buy a copy of Reason 4 now, you can upgrade to 5 for free, did you know?

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:14 pm

I don't know what you are going to be doing with it, but you should listen to this http://www.samplemodeling.com/en/products.php and maybe go to their products page and check out the others :worthy:
check out the alto demo, too: http://www.sample-modeling.com/Demos/D_ ... n_Alto.mp3