Ive been thinking about getting Reason...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Ive been thinking about getting Reason...

Post by Brett Siler » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:15 pm

So Ive been thinking about getting Reason lately. Right now for soft synths I've been using Garageband. One thing I like about GarageBand is the good sounding orchestral sounds (I have the jam packs). I record in Pro Tools and the reason Propellerhead Reason appeals to me is that I can do soft synth stuff and keep it all contained in Pro Tools instead of jumping to differet programs and formats. I know Reason is mostly generated towards synthy stuff but could you make decent sounding faux orchesta stuff with it? Or at least as good as Garageband? I am interested in synth sounds too but it's just a concern of mine.

Oh yeah I have an 001 so I have to use Mac 10.3.9 meaning I would have to get Reason 3, if that matters towards my question.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:21 pm

I have Reason, but tend to use Garritan Personal Orchestra for my orch sounds. Reason seems more geared (at least out-of-the-box; there may be add-on packs that are cool) towards electronic sounds and virtual organs, pianos, electric pianos etc.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:04 pm

Did you see the reviews in the most recent TapeOp of those orchestral sample pack/software thingies? I have no idea if that's anything like what you need, but I thought I'd throw it out there, cause the reviews were kinda glowing.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:11 pm

Yea I read those reviews in tapeop and they sound awesome. Not sure if I could run them since I use Mac 10.3.9 Most new software at least needs 10.4 anymore. I can't upgrade my OS because of the old digi hardware. It mildly irritating sometimes.
I know reason has some orchestral refills I was just wondering if anyone knows if they are any good. Oor if you can load some sounds into reasons sampler and get some usable sounds.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:33 pm

Any other experiences? I listened to Garritan and it sounded pretty good.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:26 pm

I hate the way it sounds. I don't think I'm alone in this. Even re-wiring it into a different host doesn't help. Why not just buy logic express/logic pro? You could open up your old GB projects. And your Jam Packs are available under Logic. And it's really easy in Logic to render virtual tracks and import them into PT.
Prog out with your cog out.

kingmetal
buyin' gear

Post by kingmetal » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:00 pm

Reason is probably not the way to go for what you're trying to do. GPO is great and I wish I owned it, but if you want a general VST pack I really recommend Komplete 6 (or 5 or whatever you end up with). I have Komplete 5 and it's a great starter pack for pretty much anything (from drums to synths to orchestra samples).

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:33 pm

werd clock wrote:I hate the way it sounds. I don't think I'm alone in this. Even re-wiring it into a different host doesn't help. Why not just buy logic express/logic pro? You could open up your old GB projects. And your Jam Packs are available under Logic. And it's really easy in Logic to render virtual tracks and import them into PT.
Another person who isn't a fan of Reason here. I don't think it sounds bad, but it definitely doesn't sound stunningly good and I've always found it kind of annoying to use for some reason, even beyond having to rewire it if you want to use it alongside actual audio. And Logic's orchestral stuff (or using Garage Band's Jam Packs within it) works quite well, and will be much easier to use because it's closer what you're used to dealing with functionally. Reason is just weird; it doesn't work like anything else, and I don't mean that in a good way.
"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:49 am

Hmmm you guys are giving me some things to think about... A buddy of mine got Reason and I was pretty blown away with what he did with. It wasn't orchestra stuff but more electronic sounding and blending real instrument in it. Hmmm
Last edited by Brett Siler on Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

BostonBassist
audio school graduate

Post by BostonBassist » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:26 am

I use an 002r and Reason 4 and really like it. Main because Reason does A LOT in one program, so instead of having to have different programs (like Garritan for orchestra sounds and something else for synth sounds and something else as a sample player) its all integrated into one program.
The way I tend to use it is in addition to live instruments, although I have done a few things using just vocals and Abbery Road Keyboard Refill (which I find phenomenal) that sound pretty dang good for not being a real piano.
I have done some string arrangements with it in some songs and the trick is to play the parts the way real string players play - meaning writing the part as the instrument is physically capable of being played, ensuring the attack and realease of the instruments and notes are adjusted for the type of part being played, as well as the sample type (meaning not using a legato sample to play staccato parts - you can do it, just not realistic - and you may need to tweak the sample start which is easy in Reason).
I tend to not do a lot of sequencing between Reason & PT - I like to get the part right and then record it in so you don't have to run both apps or deal with any crazy latency.
Some things I don't like about Reason: 1) The layout, the rack should be expandable to full screen - I Beta'd Record and found the layout even worse in that program. At least you can separate the sequencer and enlarge that, but I would love to see the rack enlarged. 2) The sample browser: this could be streamlined both the look as well as having an option to search and not load samples for "listen playback". Some samples are HUGE (i.e. Abbey Road Keys 24-bit), and when you click on them they load so you can do a quick listen in the browser, I think it would load quicker if you could turn off this option.
My 1 cent worth...

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:56 am

Thats reasons you listed are why Reason appealed to me to. Still taking into consideration into what others have said but do you have any mp3's samples of some stuff you've done with it. Any stuff with string sounds in it that you've done?

BostonBassist
audio school graduate

Post by BostonBassist » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:32 pm

Sure, check out Briana Cash:
http://www.myspace.com/brianacash

I produced and engineered all the tunes she has on there- "Here With Me Now" has two little string instumentals - first is @ 1:25 in 2nd shortly thereafter. The piano in "Really Like Your Way" is all Reason (Abbey Road Keys).
Note: The violin in "Away" is NOT Reason.

suppositron
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by suppositron » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:03 am

I'd say check out the string refills for reason and see if they will work for you. I use reason to program drums for rock songs with the drum refill upgrade and I think it sounds pretty damn good. The only thing I have to watch out for is to make sure I don't quantize the tempo or velocity too hard or it starts to sound fake.

String sounds that come with reason are pretty cheesy, but I'm willing to bet the string refill sounds nice.

poopdealer
audio school graduate

Post by poopdealer » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:09 am

I'm not a huge fan of Reason, but I use it because it's all I have. That being said, I think it can still be used to get a semi-realistic effect. Take a listen to this session:

http://www.myspace.com/pianowiremusic

On "Doesn't Matter to Me" all the piano and most of the strings are Reason patches. We tracked a real cello and a real violin to add some "life" on top. Strings start at 1:30 and again around 2:35. The patches add some "room feel" to it.

On "The Throes", piano, vibes and strings are all from Reason.
Frigg off, Ricky.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:57 am

That piano sounds pretty good. Strings sound ok. Thanks for the links guys