Q: Burning in new tube pre-amps

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Mankinda
pluggin' in mics

Q: Burning in new tube pre-amps

Post by Mankinda » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:22 pm

...hey, this is probably a dumb question but I just got a pair of Summit pres and I know the tubes need to be "burned in" a bit.

My question is, when burning-in the tubes, do I have to be passing a signal or will just powering them on work to break-in the tubes?

Recording on this project is scheduled to start next week, so I'm aiming to try to get these tubes all cozy before then.
signal chain gang

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:41 pm

Unless they're NOS tubes, I wouldn't sweat it too much.

With NOS, it's been recommended to me that just leaving the thing on for 24-48 hrs. is a good way of breaking them in, especially if they're a little noisy at first. No need to put a signal through it.

I usually try to power up my tube pres/mics at least an hour before I use them, if possible.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

Mankinda
pluggin' in mics

Post by Mankinda » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:42 pm

Thanks, Mr. Brains....

I'd heard different opinions on whether a signal was required to truly burn-in the tubes.... maybe the difference of opinion is centered around the NOS detail. Either way: thanks.
signal chain gang

BOWIE
alignin' 24-trk

Post by BOWIE » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:52 pm

Recycled_Brains wrote:Unless they're NOS tubes, I wouldn't sweat it too much.

With NOS, it's been recommended to me that just leaving the thing on for 24-48 hrs. is a good way of breaking them in, especially if they're a little noisy at first. No need to put a signal through it.

I usually try to power up my tube pres/mics at least an hour before I use them, if possible.
That's good advice. Modern tubes burn in pretty quick. Vintage tubes are a bit more rugged and changes happen slowly. In either case, after the first 24-48 hours, the changes will be subtle and slow. Over the first few months the sound will usually smooth out a bit. I work with tubes for a living and I have noticed that tubes will burn in faster if there s signal present, though it's not a must and tube burn-in should not stop you from recording.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:51 am

BOWIE wrote: tube burn-in should not stop you from recording.
Exactly what i was about to say.
In my experience, the best way to make a piece of gear do your bidding and become friendly with the way you work is to use it.
Seriously.
I have seen things I use every day get used differently and get grouchy... thats why nothing works when a visiting engineer comes into a private studio... ;)

But seriously. Start recording. that is pretty much the answer to every single question on here, but I mean it.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:50 pm

joel hamilton wrote:But seriously. Start recording. that is pretty much the answer to every single question on here, but I mean it.
That'd be a great signature.