Awwww.... how come?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Aquaman
gettin' sounds

Post by Aquaman » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:34 am

shane, you could always just mix one on your own, and privately compare it with the mixes the band gets back from the other guy. If your mix is worse, then you know they made the right decision. If your mix is better, then you can pull the bandleader aside and say, "hey give this a listen - I pushed up a couple of faders on those tracking sessions we recorded and thought you might like it."

Often a band will come back and buy a couple of mixes from you that they weren't quite happy with from the other guy!

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

Post by TV Lenny » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:52 pm

It's always disappointing when this happens. Especially if you had previously worked with the band before under different circumstances and they presume it will be a similar situation. (i.e. you, the freelance engineer working in a poorly maintained studio, where you had to deal with wiring issues, glitchy tape machines and computers, crappy patch bays, etc.) yay been there before! :lol:

Asking why they chose going elsewhere can be a good idea so long as you approach it with professionalism. There's a good chance they will remember you for that which might lead to future work.
White Oak Guitars - Fine boutique handmade guitar & bass pickups

cale w
gettin' sounds

Post by cale w » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:11 am

TV Lenny wrote:sewhere can be a good idea so long as you approach it with professionalism.
Sent the email tonight, humbly asking whay thy went with another engineer over this know-nothing, just-starting-out-super-hack. ;) I'll keep y'all updated!

cale w
gettin' sounds

Post by cale w » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:55 pm

They decided to go with the house engineer who was willing to work for a lot less than I!

pixeltarian
buyin' gear

Post by pixeltarian » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:29 am

Gentleman Jim wrote: If they got cold feet based on your calling the previous band on their BS, then you should be very happy. You don't want to be known as The Guy Who Will Work For $1.87 An Hour.

Seriously.

hold on a second. some of you guys get PAID to do this?!!?!
"Every person who wins in any undertaking must be willing to cut all sources of retreat."
- Napoleon Hill

http://www.jeffreyjamesmusic.com
spook folk

http://www.myspace.com/tonguesonpaper
electro atmospheric rock

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:29 am

cale w wrote:They decided to go with the house engineer who was willing to work for a lot less than I!
I hope they realize they might be getting what they're paying for...
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.