JH-110B Take up Issues

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

djgout
suffering 'studio suck'

JH-110B Take up Issues

Post by djgout » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:02 am

Hello Everyone,

My beloved JH110B is being a jerk. He's decided that he doesn't want to spin the take up motor at all. So, no play, record, fast forward or mvc. I've had some issues in the past with the Braking on that motor but that is set up and running fine now. Here's what I know

I've swapped the connections between the two motors and the take up motor runs when connected as the supply. (so hopefully it isn't the motor)

I'm only getting about +3Volts out at the main play and play presets from the logic card. I think it's supposed to be about +5.

Disconnecting the motors from the supply and blocking the tape sensor both of my motors spin freely by hand.

Also if I block the tape sensor and stop the idle creep on the supply motor and then hit play my supply motor spins wildly in reverse, much more than the normal back tension should be. It is fast enough to scare you. It's like a helicopter trying to take off.

I've got replacement logic chips on their way, but does any one have any suggestions as to what it might be before I shotgun the whole logic card? None of the chips are socketed in this one, but I can borrow a logic card from a JH10 transport we have at work to test between them.

Can anyone help? Chris? Brian? come on you two know these machines better than I do!!

Thanks
Justin
justin herlocker
grindengineering (at) gmail (dot) com

cjmnash
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjmnash » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:30 am

hey justin,

sounds like something that can be easily fixed. are you in nashville? if so, i can stop by, bring some spare parts and stop it from being a jerk. ;)

hit me up.

chris mara
www.nobraineraudio.com
www.welcometo1979.com
(615) 476-6272
Owner: Welcome To 1979 Studio & Mara Machines

djgout
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by djgout » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:02 am

yeah Chris, it's justin from primal. I was able to get the brake issue we talked about at the AES meeting sussed out, but now I've got this no play thing going on. I'll give you a call later today.

Thanks
Justin
justin herlocker

cjmnash
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjmnash » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:32 am

cool bro!

djgout
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by djgout » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:51 pm

Up and Running!!! Chris is the man.....took about half an hour and some reflowing on the molex pins in the chimmney of the power supply. Chris even showed me some cool things with the MVC that I never would have found. Hit FF then touch the MVC and it'll lock and do a better packed wind with the tape lifter out.

I highly recommend Chris for anyone with issues or looking for a rebuilt/refurbed machine.

Thanks
-justin
justin herlocker

cjmnash
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjmnash » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:42 am