A $300 compressor thread

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cupidcome
pluggin' in mics

A $300 compressor thread

Post by cupidcome » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:21 am

I have a very simple set up at home as it is, but I'm really into colorful sounding compressors. At this point I want something that sounds great on drums mainly, but is as versatile as possible, obviously. Everybody raves about the FMR Audio RNC (I prefer the RNLA) but there are a bunch of other interesting compressors in that price range. Any thoughts on these:

JoeMeek MC2
Valley People Dynamite (used)
Ashly Audio CLX-52

Or feel free to suggest other pieces as well. Thanks.

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Post by Dakota » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:42 am

"$300 compressor?", that rings off Art Pro VLA II.

RNCs are great bang for buck, but I find them not exciting.

That ashly you mention, versatile and powerful, pretty clean, just a touch of character. Ashly comps are pretty likable. Older ones are more colored, they get cleaner across the years, but still great.

Valley, Meek: color.

"Versatile" and "Color" are usually a trade off.

No DBX color? 163x pair, 160x/xt. Colorboxes: DBX 118, 119, 128. Alesis microlimiter pushed hard in parallel.

cupidcome
pluggin' in mics

Post by cupidcome » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:10 am

Thanks for your reply, Dakota.

I'm not too interested in ART's compressors...I've heard good ones. I've heard terrible ones. On my budget, I'm not willing to roll the dice.

I have a microlimiter and like it just fine for some nasty sounds. It really is a one trick pony for me.

I've been most interested in the Meek, but I've never actually heard it. Likewise with the Vally People.

I like DBX, but get lost in the thousands of model numbers... :? ...are those "colorboxes" you suggested older moels?

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:35 pm

You might be able to get a dbx 1046 for ~$300. I've been wanting that for drums. Stereo OH and Kick and Snare in one rack space.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Post by Dakota » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:50 pm

cupidcome wrote:Thanks for your reply, Dakota.

I'm not too interested in ART's compressors...I've heard good ones. I've heard terrible ones. On my budget, I'm not willing to roll the dice.

I have a microlimiter and like it just fine for some nasty sounds. It really is a one trick pony for me.

I've been most interested in the Meek, but I've never actually heard it. Likewise with the Vally People.

I like DBX, but get lost in the thousands of model numbers... :? ...are those "colorboxes" you suggested older moels?
You're very welcome.

I haven't heard much about consistency problems specifically with the Pro VLA's - people please chip in if so, I'd like to hear. The oldest Meek stuff is very colored in a good way, then their gear gets hit or miss from there. The Valley stuff is classic for vintage smoosh. It's a particular color, a 70's thing you either love or don't.

All the DBX's I suggested are older models. DBX models of more recent years vary, some have great utility, some suck. 160x, 160xt, 163x, 163a consistently do good things in ratio to their cost. The original 166 as well.

The colorbox DBX's (118, 119, 128) are different from the above studio rack items, they were made for home stereo use in the 70s/80s. Wood side little boxes, rca i/o, erratic construction internally, many on the market are broken. But if in good working order, they have great vibe for not much money. Lately overhyped as "160VU for peanuts", they are not actually a hidden 160VU. But they are kind of reminiscent of that, within reasonable expectations.

The (original, not re-issue) DBX 160VU is a definitive color compressor. But that's outside of your specified budget. Some think they are themselves overhyped, not worth current prices. But that's how it goes. I like them a lot.
Last edited by Dakota on Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:01 pm

The DBX 160 A or X or XT would be a solid choice. There is a reason you find at least one in almost every studio on earth. They work really well on a lot of things.
I seriously use them all the time. We have 2 A's and 2 X's.
As always, the Symetrix 501 is a great compressor. Its the "poor mans 33609" (even though I hate that "poor man's" type of statement) but it really does rock and it costs under 300 dollars last time I checked.
The presonus ACP22 is a TOTALLY worthy piece of gear with socketed IC's and a useable gate and a crazy fast compressor and its TWO channels. thats a great little box actually. 2 channels of the ACP88 without a fan and only one rack space for those of us that need to conserve space...

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:15 pm

Best I've used are DBX 160XTs and Aphex 651's. All of mine are modified (different ICs and VCA in the DBX, some new caps, different IC's and caps in the Aphex) and they are amazing. I can can squash a vocal without hearing any squish with the Aphex, and the over-easy feature on the 160XTs is great when you have a wild bass player. I love them.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jitters » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:27 pm

a DBX 160X is great when you want your drums to go boom pow boom boom pow.

DJ_LBP
takin' a dinner break

Post by DJ_LBP » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:38 pm

For some reason, when I saw the thread title, I started thinking about the Keeley Compressor pedal. But then i remembered this was not guitargeek. I still like the Keeley on a lot of stuff, not just guitar.
Why not?

-Hunter S. Thompson

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:02 am

Another vote for the 160X.

I've used mine on just about everything, including vocals (some say it's not so good on vocals) and it does a fine job. Very versitile. Does transparent compression and is fully capable of brutalizing tracks as well. Over easy mode is a treat on bass. I often pick it over my Distressor for bass duties.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

rty5150
pushin' record

Post by rty5150 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:31 am

dbx 160x here, too.

rich

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:38 am

Recently I found my ART pro vla a lot more useful with real RCA 12AT7's from the early 70's loaded up. I've rolled in lots of NOS stuff of quality but the RCA's sound hi-fi to my ears.

I realize you're not interested in the vla but someone else reading the thread might get some use out of the knowledge.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

kingmetal
buyin' gear

Post by kingmetal » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:20 pm

Focusrite Liquidmix 16. Seriously. If you're working in a DAW.

Did somebody just throw a rock?

vivalastblues
steve albini likes it

Post by vivalastblues » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:55 pm

What's the difference between the dbx 163A, 163X (the little ones) and the 160(A)?

too many damn models!

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:00 pm

The 160A/XT/X are all in the same family.

The 160A is nearly identical to the 160XT. The XT uses a LM353 input opamp and a 5534 output opamp, the A uses 5532 opamps.

Both the XT and A incorporate a non-linear timing capacitor circuit which speeds up attack time and lowers low frequency THD compared to the X.

I've owned them all, and the XT is my favorite. It has the best built quality and I find you can push it a little harder before I can start to hear the compression. Of course, mine are modified to be more "transparent" but even stock I think it's the best out of the three. YMMV.

To put it simply, the DBX 163X is a 160 always in over-easy mode.I'm not sure about the 163A and original 163.

If anyone is wondering, here's the changes I did to my DBX 160XT's. I think this all of them. Thanks to Jim Williams for the suggestions:

VCA: THAT 2180A (removed R9 and R10)
U1: AD8512 on Brown Dog Adapter
U2: AD8510 on Brown Dog Adapter
U3 and U4: LM6171
C3 - C6: 2200uF/35V Nichicon HE with Wima MKP-2 bypass
C7 - C8: 220uF/50 Panasonic FM with Wima MKP-2 bypass
CR8 and CR9: Green LEDs (blacked out with sharpie)
C16: 4.7uF/63V Wima MKS-4 with MulitCap PPMFX .01uF/600V bypass
C14, C20, C25, C29, C44, C49: .01uF NPO ceramic
Still waiting for a Luna reunion