Buying one really good stereo comp

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:51 pm

Corey Y wrote:Condolences trodden, I hope things turn around for you soon man. Still, an SM7 is always cause for good cheer :D
Hey thanks man.. well all my savings was dumped into building out a new studio and place to live.. so not all is lost!!

Tragabigzanda
steve albini likes it

Post by Tragabigzanda » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:22 pm

If I were you, I would seriously hold out for the Chandler EMI TG1. It's one of those comps that makes "the sound" you've always heard before. Drum bus (or just kick n' snare), room mics, vocals...this thing gives a killer bite to the upper-mids, and the Total Harmonic Distortion function is cool as hell, too. I haven't been able to use any of the DW Fearn stuff yet, but I think I'm familiar with just about everything else listed in this thread, and I'd say this is the most consistently awe-inspiring. Fast as hell, crispy tone, and simple to use.
Alex C. McKenzie

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Post by Dakota » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:11 am

Chipping in, experience with the Dramastic Obsidian, for comparison.

It's the new kid on the block, no one has as much time in on it as some of the other more known spendy 2ch "better bring the magic for the $" comps. It'll be a classic eventually.

As far as I know, it's the most evolved post-SSL, "SSL and more" kind of comp. Build quality is excellent. Transformers and class A circuit sound is excellent. It's really muscular at the same time as being clean and clear. Definitely puts a polish on anything put through it.

It's not a twee piece of kit. I think the designer had metal mix bus and mastering in mind in the design, which is not a bad thing at all. It sounds vintagey and classy when hit moderately, and toward huge when hit hard. Drum buss use I could also see. Also has a fuzzy crush mode for color work.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:44 am

True. the chandler is a great one.
I forgot about that one. I have like everything else chandler makes, including some prototype stuff and stuff that was custom made for my console... so I cant belive I forgot about that. its really the only other comp that does the super punch of the 33609 on drums besides the mpressor.

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:05 am

The TG1 is on the table if I put off another purchase I had already saved for. I was awake an extra half hour or so last night in bed thinking about this, heh.

sir hills
gettin' sounds

Post by sir hills » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:25 am

Corey (& anyone else that downloaded the BC1 samples),

I checked my post this morning & realized I left out the 2 smashed examples! Sorry...so after an edit there is a new link to download all the wav files in my post from last night & here:

https://download.yousendit.com/VGllb3BPd0FlaFIzZUE9PQ

You don't get the whole picture based on the subtle versions I posted last night. The smashed is everything all the way up, fast/hard. Anyhow, it's always nice to know what "abusing" something will do. For the BC1 it actually maintains & while I might not choose that as "the sound" it definitely has it's place & sounds good in parallel...helps the kit bloom a little.

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:22 am

Thanks for the revision, that certainly rounds out the sound of the BC1's range.

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:17 pm

I'm leaning really heavily towards the TG1. Anyone who's used one have the quicker release time mod? It seems like this box gets universally great reviews, but I saw that apparently they offer that mod for free or upgrade for the price of shipping.

Tragabigzanda
steve albini likes it

Post by Tragabigzanda » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:22 pm

Hmm, not even familiar with that mod. I've never needed the quicker release. Which reminds me, I *think* that when you've linked the two channels, you still need to set the release for each channel. I tend to play things safe, and always match all the settings on any stereo comp, just in case it's necessary!

Anyway, back to the matter at hand: you'll be thrilled with the TG1. I've got a big mixing project coming up, and I'm seriously bummed that I won't have access to the TG1 for this project!
Alex C. McKenzie

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Tragibigzanda wrote:I *think* that when you've linked the two channels, you still need to set the release for each channel.

Yeah, according the manual, you do.

The big reservation I have about the TG1 right now is the amount of "It sounds great for a (insert Beatles song + instrument) sound". While that is cool and I dig that a lot, does it handle faster more aggressive drums well or does it get too pumpy for anything that doesn't have a lot of breathing room? I'm still struggling between the one unit that does something extremely well vs two that cover more sounds thing. So close to making a decision it's agony, ha. I'm sure my bank account has a hole burning in it right now.

Tragabigzanda
steve albini likes it

Post by Tragabigzanda » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:00 am

You know, as a drum bus for fast, aggressive drums, it does tend to get a little pumpy, but in a real pleasing way. One obvious way to combat that is to track with a touch of the TG1, then run the tracks back through it again. Now it's working for you, but not as hard...
Alex C. McKenzie

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:46 am

Corey Y wrote:
Tragibigzanda wrote:I *think* that when you've linked the two channels, you still need to set the release for each channel.

The big reservation I have about the TG1 right now is the amount of "It sounds great for a (insert Beatles song + instrument) sound". While that is cool and I dig that a lot, does it handle faster more aggressive drums well or does it get too pumpy for anything that doesn't have a lot of breathing room? I'm still struggling between the one unit that does something extremely well vs two that cover more sounds thing. So close to making a decision it's agony, ha. I'm sure my bank account has a hole burning in it right now.
you can make it rock, for sure. thats a great alternative to the 33609.
its a great compressor with a real tone to it.
You will be psyched with that thing.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:46 am

Corey Y wrote:

you can make it rock, for sure. thats a great alternative to the 33609.
its a great compressor with a real tone to it.
You will be psyched with that thing.

Babaluma
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Babaluma » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:49 am

pair of chandler germanium compressors? that's what i use, but i am mainly recording, mixing and mastering electronic industrial and dance music, so i can't really comment on them in a "band" context.

i like that they can easily go from all out squash to very subtle, they are basically very versatile, and just the line amps and transformer combos sound great on their own (without any compression).

i don't have anything else to compare them to as they were the first (and so far only, compressors) i bought.

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:12 pm

I'm going back and forth in my mind every half hour or less on springing for the TG1 and trying to really dig into it and learn all the subtleties and trying to find creative uses for it on a number of sources or diversifying with couple units that are better than what I have now like a pair of brit mod distressors or the Drawmer 68 or the API 2500 and toss in a Chandler Germ Pre or something. Those rapper fellow are right, more money more problems, right?

I think I might have to get drunk to make this purchase :crazy: