Buying one really good stereo comp

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Buying one really good stereo comp

Post by Corey Y » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:09 am

I've come around to the idea that I should start buckling down and buying really quality pieces of gear a little at a time, as I'm able. So I've been checking out good stereo compressors. Most likely use will be on my drum bus, but I'm sure I will find other uses as I dig into something good. It definitely doesn't have to be a swiss army knife. I'm ok with something that has limited use but does it amazingly, it won't shortchange my mix. My budget is about $3000, here's what I've been looking at so far:

API 2500
Dramastic Audio Obsidian
Roll 755

Any feedback or additional suggestions I should look into?

Before anyone gets ahead of themselves, I'm already dropping some dough on DIY acoustic treatments and some other unsexy stuff like Latch Lake stands and new cables.

Edit: Just FYI on what I already have: DBX 160A (2), DBX 263A, Ashly SC-50, Symetrix 501

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:31 am

I like LA2As and LA3As myself...not sure what that would run you...I don't own them, but I do enjoy them when I've got access to them.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:42 am

ubk fatso. very versatile. kills on drums. KILLS.

portico 5043 - smooooooth (not for extreme action - more subtle but very classy and transformery)
the new rules : there are no rules

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:52 pm

That Kush UBK Fatso seems pretty darn cool, definitely worth considering. I don't really know if I'd be better served with something really smooth/clear and hi-fi sounding or something that really hits hard with a lot of character.

Anyone else have/used the UBK Fatso?

I've read some opinions about the others on my list and a few more from searching before I posted, but I'd love to get some more feedback. Particularly on how any of these fair on a drum bus and/or vocals. I'm not using whatever I get on the stereo bus or doing any mastering with them, which seems like the popular questions for most of these units.

Lumin
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Lumin » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:58 pm

im in the same boat. i was looking at the ubk fatso, but am most likely grabbin an aurora gtc2.
you may want to check those out if you havent already.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:52 pm

Latch lake stands are sexy. I use them for everything these days... I think we have 4 now with like 9 arms....I truly love those things.

Anyway,
compressor wise,
there are a TON of options in that price range, and then there are a few just above that price range that are like stupid crazy amazing.

Like the elysia mpressor.

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:14 pm

Joel, I knew you were going to say something about the Latch Lake stands. Reading all your posts on them really won me over...especially after 2 or 3 of my stands broke over my last two projects. I'd rather shell out for two really nice stands and a bunch of xtra booms and not have to deal with sagging booms and broken clutches.

I actually can spend more than $3k and the Mpressor is NUTS, but that would blow my whole budget and I desperately need new stands, pronto. If you've got some other suggestions in the $3-4000 range, I'm all ears. I bought my Sage pres based on your glowing remarks on them and that was one of the best purchases I've ever made.

I'd also love to hear some feedback from anyone who's used the API 2500 or Dramastic Obsidian for any buss work besides on the master.

mrclean
pushin' record

Fearn VT-7

Post by mrclean » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:39 pm

Probably above your price limit but the DW Fearn VT-7 falls into the "stupid crazy amazing" catagory:

http://www.dwfearn.com/vt-7_compressor.html

I have the extreme good luck of having access to one when I need it.
-- mrclean

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:54 pm

I've been curious about the Dramastic, but haven't used it.

The 2500 is a very cool compressor, but it's definitely got a sonic character to it. It's very aggressive-sounding, which can be cool in the right circumstances, and it terms of compressor action it's relatively felxible. It would certainly be different from what you've already got.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

rollmottle
ass engineer

Post by rollmottle » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:30 pm

Foote Control Systems P3S.

http://www.mercenary.com/fcs-p3s.html

Absolutely KILLER and huge value.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:01 pm

Latch Lakes are sexy!

Yip. Mpressor rules but it's a little bit more than $3k.

I haven't heard the Obsidian but I'd love to. 2500 is a classic for sure. Really with any price in this range ALWAYS demo first. You have the option, just talk to some dealers. I'm sure they'll have suggestions too.

doc
pushin' record

Post by doc » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:59 pm

There's a slim chance you can find a used, non-discreet version of the Neve 33609 which is what almost exclusively lives on my drum bus.

Or, I'd vote for the Alan Smart C2 as I think it sounds great for making drums "punchier" and it's in your price range. It usually stays on the mix bus for me, but I'd use it for a drum bus compressor in a heartbeat.

-Doc

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:59 pm

That's one of the reasons I'm interested in the Obsidian. Supposedly it's similar to a SSL style, like the C2, but with a few more options and a better stereo image. Whether that's true, I have no idea.

I'd certainly love a 33609, not holding my breath though.

Jesse DeCarlo
audio school graduate

Post by Jesse DeCarlo » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:08 pm

I'm a big fan of Universal Audio. A brand new 2-1176 will set you back $2799, and I think I've seen them used for less than $2000. The stereo LA-2A, known as the 2-LA2, is more like $3500. But for drum bus maybe the 1176 is more the ticket anyway -- FET design, faster attack, etc.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:43 am

Corey Y wrote:That's one of the reasons I'm interested in the Obsidian. Supposedly it's similar to a SSL style, like the C2, but with a few more options and a better stereo image. Whether that's true, I have no idea.

I'd certainly love a 33609, not holding my breath though.
Yeah, the 33609 and the Mpressor and a few others live in a pretty place, but I didnt go there because they do all live an a more expensive neighborhood than what you are talking about...

The smart boxes are pretty great, but IMHO not SOOO much greater than a couple different SSL clones out there that it may not be worth the extra money. Like finding a good, solid SSL clone that costs 1200 dollars would work fine.
I have a real SSL fx g384 and I have a really cool custom built clone by Camilo SIlva. I use the camilo silva more than the SSL. really. Just personal preference.
its a tough price point the more I think of it, especially for a dual mono comp.
I dont have an API 2500, nor do I have the obsidian thingy.
Maybe you can find a pair of 33314's and rack them yourself? they are the exact same thing as the 33609 (i have both) and sometimes you can find them with later amp cards in them (like the 6xx series instead of the 4xx series) and they are non-discrete and then you can put the 440's in there and they are discrete and totally the same vibe as the 33609 that way.
Having an original, metal knob 33609 and the 33314's, they really are the same.