Frontier Designs Tranzport...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

g_rogers
pluggin' in mics

Frontier Designs Tranzport...

Post by g_rogers » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:20 am

Is this really the only inexpensive wireless remote transport surface out there? I can' seem to find any alternatives, and Frontier Designs, for some ridiculous reason, has stopped making it.

And hack alternatives? From what I understand USB cables need to be kept short, otherwise I'd just pick up a 50 footer and the Presonus Faderport.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Re: Frontier Designs Tranzport...

Post by jgimbel » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:42 am

g_rogers wrote:From what I understand USB cables need to be kept short, otherwise I'd just pick up a 50 footer and the Presonus Faderport.
For this purpose it doesn't seem they need to be that short, because that's what I did. I have a Faderport that I got free with my Firestudio Project, and I wanted to use it to press recording when doing drums for my own songs, but the kit is across the room. I bought a long USB cord. I believe it's a 25 foot cord, and it works completely without issue. I believe this is because these transport control boxes aren't sending audio, they're just sending signals. For christmas I randomly got a USB extender cable - not an active one, just a USB cable that on one end had a female USB jack. When I need more length than the 25 feet I put that on, still no issue at all. The worst I can imagine happening is a slight latency between the button press/fader slide and the action occurring on the computer, which may or may not be a big deal depending on your use (for just pressing recording it wouldn't be an issue for me). But I've never had any latency, and honestly recording would be a much bigger pain if I didn't have the thing. I wish Presonus made a small console that was just made up of these, I love mine.

If you do get a really long USB and have an issue with latency, you can pick up a USB hub for REALLY cheap these days (Belkin has one that is literally under $10 on Amazon) and just put that in the chain. USB hubs and active USB cables boost the signal (just like a buffer before or after effects pedals). I expected to need that, but I haven't at all.

I hadn't looked at options before I got my Faderport since it was just something that came free with the FSP, but about a year ago I started to look at what the other options were in roughly the same range. The Faderport gets far less complaints than the other pieces I've seen (the Tranzport for example). The tracking of the fader seems to be a lot smoother, and from what I've seen in speed tests when reading automation is a lot quicker to respond than the Tranzport. Highly recommended.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:42 am

It really is crazy that they stopped making the tranzport.
I love that thing.

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:52 am

joel hamilton wrote:It really is crazy that they stopped making the tranzport.
I love that thing.
I'm just glad I bought one. I use it all the time.

I think i remember reading somewhere that there's an iPhone app that can control transport now. Dunno how well that works, but I doubt as well as the Tranzport.
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

CedarSound
pushin' record

Post by CedarSound » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:00 am

I love mine, too.
I also am amazed that they stopped making it..crazy.

Another option, if you have a laptop and a desktop available (lot's of people have more than one computer available nowadays) you could always put some VNC software on the laptop (free) and control your DAW on your desktop that way...assuming you are running it on a desktop.

biasvoltage
steve albini likes it

Post by biasvoltage » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:30 am

Seriously! the Tranzport is up there with the SM57, fire, and the wheel as far as inventions go. I use mine ALL THE TIME. While a Faderport gathers dust on my shelf.

I just looked at Frontier Design's user forum and found a discussion related to this. Here's what they say:

"Given the economic downturn and the already long life span of TranzPort, we concluded this was the best time to end manufacturing of TranzPort.

We'll continue to offer customer service on TranzPort through email and our website.

CS"

WTF?? There were several discussions about apparently non-resolvable issues when using the Tranzport with Microsoft Vista. Well, no shit! I couldn't get Vista to work with my e-mail client, let alone anything more complicated than that.

First the AT3035, now the Tranzport. Ebay madness to follow for sure.

Bozo move, Frontier.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:41 am

I bring mine with me everywhere. Best money I've ever spent.
Prog out with your cog out.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:47 am

CedarSound wrote:Another option, if you have a laptop and a desktop available (lot's of people have more than one computer available nowadays) you could always put some VNC software on the laptop (free) and control your DAW on your desktop that way...assuming you are running it on a desktop.
What kind of performance hit does the DAW take running the VNC server? Is that something you need to turn off to run plugins come mix time? It only seems like it makes much sense to use the VNC for tracking. My DAW comp is remarkably underpowered as it is.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

CedarSound
pushin' record

Post by CedarSound » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:09 pm

Yeah, I would only use it for tracking, primarily drum tracks and the like, when you are far away from the DAW keyboard.

I honestly haven't used VNC with my DAW, but I use it at work all the time, as I am a network support guy for my day job.
That being said, I have never noticed a hit to the machine that you are actually connecting to, if anything there might be a slight lag (graphics-wise) on the machine that you are using to connect to it with....

So, I guess you'd have to give it a try and just see how it reacts. The two that I use on a regular basis are UltraVNC and TeamViewer.. both have free versions. Teamviewer is really cool cause you can use it pretty much anywhere on the internet to connect to your home machine, even transfer files.

Worst case, you can always uninstall it if it gives you problems. Oh, and I disable almost every background service when I am mixing, including network connections and anti-virus software too. Of course, in a perfect world you would keep your DAW off the internet entirely, but I can fix it if I break it, so I risk it. :)

CedarSound
pushin' record

Post by CedarSound » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:22 pm

Of course, this thread is about the Tranzport. If you can find one, i'd recommend getting it.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:39 am

sad iron wrote:
joel hamilton wrote:It really is crazy that they stopped making the tranzport.
I love that thing.
I'm just glad I bought one. I use it all the time.

I think i remember reading somewhere that there's an iPhone app that can control transport now. Dunno how well that works, but I doubt as well as the Tranzport.
Yup. The ProTransport App. Works great actually, although it does mean you have the cell phone in the room with you within arms reach when you're tracking. So you can get some buzz. Luckily my phone is cracked anyway so I have a button that just turns the Edge network off. Almost entirely kills the buzz.

Anyway the Pro Transport has far fewer options than the Tranzport. They also make an app called ProRemote which has even more functionality, however it's $99. Seems like a little too much for me to spend on an iphone app that lets me press record in the other room. But that's just my take.

If you've got an iphone protransport works great.

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:05 am

I love my Tranzport. Use it all the time. The iPhone app requires that your DAW machine be connected to a network and mine is not and will not be. I suppose you could have your DAW on the network and disable internet by setting static IP and not giving it a gateway.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:10 am

As a mac user, i'm really looking forward to when they start rolling out control surface apps for the iPad.
Prog out with your cog out.

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:29 am

werd clock wrote:As a mac user, i'm really looking forward to when they start rolling out control surface apps for the iPad.
:^:
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:19 pm

I just went to the app store and found an app called AC-7 DAW control. 8-Channel controller for $4. Works over wifi. You have to install an app on your computer too. Reviews seem good, but the iphone/ipod is too small for full use. iPad though...

Maybe I'll have a reason to buy one after all.
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com