Studio Projects LSD2 mods? Mr. Joly?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

tdbajus
suffering 'studio suck'

Studio Projects LSD2 mods? Mr. Joly?

Post by tdbajus » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:40 pm

I bought the inexpensive and pleasing Studio Projects C3 mike, and I have certainly gotten my money's worth out of it- I enjoy the multiple patterns (sweet, sweet omni directional) and it was my first mike that allowed me to mess around with mid/side miking.

I liked it so much, in fact, that I bought a Studio Projects LSD2, which is, more or less, two C3 mikes in the same housing, which allows for quick and easy xy pairs, m/s miking, totally pointless double omni recording :)

The problem is, the LSD2 is kind of harsh sounding, I wind up not using it a lot, since, well, I don't like it very much.

Michael Joly doesn't have any mods listed for any studio projects mikes on his site. Is there a mechanical reason for this, or does he find them not worth working on.

I still use my C3 all the time, and I would love to like my LSD2 just as much.

Is there anything that could be done?

Michael_Joly
pushin' record

Post by Michael_Joly » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:49 pm

My ears were ringing...doh, incoming question I see!

I've actualy modified quite a few Studio Projects mics, including a couple of LSD2 mics (love that name btw). I just been so busy I've fallen behind making dedicated product pages for quite a few mics.

The LSD2 has a very clever mechanical design that is well-constructed. Also sports the usual high quality Studio Projects / Beijing 797 Audio circuit with good quality components like WIMA caps etc. But...this is a big one...

...it uses two K67-type capsule driving flat response circuits and is way too bright in my opinion. I modified one about a month ago with two MJE-K47 capsule and changed the input coupling caps to my preferred "special sauce" type. Results are righteous. Really a very fine sounding and versatile stereo mic.

tdbajus
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by tdbajus » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:55 pm

I hoping to cause some ear burning without contributing to overstuffing your inbox.

What I don't understand is: Why is the LSD2 (it IS and excellent name) so much brighter than the C3? I bought it to have a stereo C3, actually.

Does the C3 not use an MJE-K47 capsule?

How much would the mod you describe cost?

Michael_Joly
pushin' record

Post by Michael_Joly » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:42 pm

Thanks for the consideration!

The stock LSD2 uses two K67-type capsules with its Neumann designed HF boost that was intended to be de-emphasized in the circuit that follows.

The only mics with an MJE-K47 capsule are my own, and the mics I modify. That's a fairly tricky mic to work on and has to be completely disassembled to install two new capsules. You would be looking at $599 parts and labor. Still a bargain compared to a Nevaton or Audio Technica.

Shaka
audio school graduate

Post by Shaka » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:34 pm

Michael, do you do any mods for the C1?

Michael_Joly
pushin' record

Post by Michael_Joly » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:15 am

I've modified quite a few SP C1 mics with my MJE-K47 suite.