Suggestions on a/d with ADAT out

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

brinogordon
audio school graduate

Suggestions on a/d with ADAT out

Post by brinogordon » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:17 pm

I've got a digi 003R+ (8 mic preamps) and I want to add an a/d converter via the ADAT connection in order to use some of my outboard pres w/o going through the Digi pres, which can't be disabled on this unit.

I probably don't need 8 channels - 4 would do. Any suggestions on a budget-ish pre or a/d converter with ADAT out? I'm recording in 48khz, so no need for higher. The Mackie Onyx 800r looks nice, but it runs about $600 used and that's a little out of my budget.

Thanks

sound for sandwiches
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by sound for sandwiches » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:31 pm

You could try a used Alesis AI3. No preamps, no frills. just 8 channels of AD/DA conversion. Black lion will mod them, or at least they used to. Only up to 48k though.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:30 am

48K is the maximum sample rate via adat lightpipe regardless of your interface.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:10 am

junkshop wrote:48K is the maximum sample rate via adat lightpipe regardless of your interface.
Not necessarily. Many interfaces will allow higher sample rates via lightpipe. But, you sacrifice channels that way. See S/MUX. 4 channels at 24/96 via a single ADAT optical connection.

As far as cheap ADAT capable converters, you're pretty limited. Alesis AI3 and the Behringer unit are all I can think of.

rty5150
pushin' record

Post by rty5150 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:24 am

just for conversion, smpro audio has a unit that is an a/d adat, as does aphex.
i use the presonus digimax d8 for adat outs. i also have a behringer ada8000 i use for a d/a.
used a digimax fs can give you 8 ins and 8 outs via adat for decently cheap.

rich

brinogordon
audio school graduate

thanks

Post by brinogordon » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:06 am

thanks for the info - the Alesis w/BLA mod sounds interesting, but might be a little out of budget. Does the Digimax FS allow you to bypass the preamps?

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:56 am

I've heard good things about the Aphex...

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:11 pm

If you have the money I'd look for a used Lynx Aurora 8 and pick up an ADAT card (I found mine used). A huge step up from the digi converters and clocking to the aurora has improved my 003r's performance too.

If you are looking for a cheap ADAT option with no preamps i'd look into the Aphex 142, and if you need and 8 outputs the 141. top two on this page. They are limited to 48k, but so is your 003's ADAT connection.

Also if you just need inputs, the Presonus Digimax D8 is pretty solid. I have one, but I just use it for the pre's now, which are suprising good for stuff like drums and guitar amps. You can't bypass the pre's completely but I haven't noticed much of an increase in noise. The a/d conversion isn't miles above the 003, but I've found that the higher frequencies sound better to my ears.

If you just want a quality stereo a/d I'd get a BLA Sparrow and use it for the 003's s/pdif input. No pre's, just high quality a/d.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:52 pm

If you only need two, the Sparrow sounds like a great idea. However, if you need 4-8, I suggest that you find a MOTU 828mk2 on the cheap used and have Black Lion Audio mod it down the line. You'll have great conversion after the mod, two more nice preamps, and 8 inputs on the back to send via light pipe. You can even send the on board preamps (post mod they sound great) over light pipe. So that's like $300 used for the 828mk2, and another $300 plus/minus down the line for the mod. If you look at the upgrade path like this, you can spend another $365 (prior customer price) for the microclock mk2 a few months after that and have a kick ass little setup. Unfortunately, BLA doesn't yet modify your Digi hardware.

If you budget for a grand over a year, going with an interface that Black Lion modifies is going to guarantee you much improved sound quality. Obviously for a grand you may be able to find an interface that sounds great stick and has ADAT light pipe.

Just my $.02.
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

rty5150
pushin' record

Post by rty5150 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:40 pm

ipressrecord wrote:If you only need two, the Sparrow sounds like a great idea. However, if you need 4-8, I suggest that you find a MOTU 828mk2 on the cheap used and have Black Lion Audio mod it down the line. You'll have great conversion after the mod, two more nice preamps, and 8 inputs on the back to send via light pipe. You can even send the on board preamps (post mod they sound great) over light pipe. So that's like $300 used for the 828mk2, and another $300 plus/minus down the line for the mod. If you look at the upgrade path like this, you can spend another $365 (prior customer price) for the microclock mk2 a few months after that and have a kick ass little setup. Unfortunately, BLA doesn't yet modify your Digi hardware.

If you budget for a grand over a year, going with an interface that Black Lion modifies is going to guarantee you much improved sound quality. Obviously for a grand you may be able to find an interface that sounds great stick and has ADAT light pipe.

Just my $.02.
speaking of which i have a 828 mk2 that i am selling...

rich

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:41 pm

junkshop wrote:
48K is the maximum sample rate via adat lightpipe regardless of your interface.

Not necessarily. Many interfaces will allow higher sample rates via lightpipe. But, you sacrifice channels that way. See S/MUX. 4 channels at 24/96 via a single ADAT optical connection.

As far as cheap ADAT capable converters, you're pretty limited. Alesis AI3 and the Behringer unit are all I can think of.
Pro Tools 8 LE will not utilize SMUX. Oh that it would.
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.