Steven Massey (of Massey plug-ins) getting screwed by Nady

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

leigh
carpal tunnel

Steven Massey (of Massey plug-ins) getting screwed by Nady

Post by leigh » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:54 am

Steven Massey is being held to a lease for an unusable office/studio space, by John Nady of Nady. Read all about it:

http://www.masseyplugins.com/

Suggestions? Nady boycott?

cheers,
Leigh

bantam
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by bantam » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:20 am

shouldn't be hard there shit sucks

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:22 am

Hopefully he's getting in touch with a good business lawyer. There absolutely HAS to be case law that covers this. It's fraud.

Here's a link, go down a third of the page or so, to the Law Encyclopedia section:

http://www.answers.com/topic/fraud
A false representation of a matter of fact ? whether by words or by conduct, by false or misleading allegations, or by concealment of what should have been disclosed ? that deceives and is intended to deceive another so that the individual will act upon it to her or his legal injury.

Fraud is commonly understood as dishonesty calculated for advantage. A person who is dishonest may be called a fraud. In the U.S. legal system, fraud is a specific offense with certain features.

Fraud is most common in the buying or selling of property, including real estate, personal property, and intangible property, such as stocks, bonds, and copyrights. State and federal statutes criminalize fraud, but not all cases rise to the level of criminality. Prosecutors have discretion in determining which cases to pursue. Victims may also seek redress in civil court.

Fraud must be proved by showing that the defendant's actions involved five separate elements: (1) a false statement of a material fact, (2) knowledge on the part of the defendant that the statement is untrue, (3) intent on the part of the defendant to deceive the alleged victim, (4) justifiable reliance by the alleged victim on the statement, and (5) injury to the alleged victim as a result.

terryb
pushin' record

Post by terryb » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:24 am

that's terrible. withholding information should be viewed the same as outright deceit.
I hope Steven can find a way out of this mess.

audiobylaw
audio school graduate

Post by audiobylaw » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:25 am

Unscrupulous to say the least, I am sending them an e-mail to point this out.
Mark

SoulOfJonas
pushin' record

Post by SoulOfJonas » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:48 am

Wow, that's awful. Hope it works out for Massey. Sounds like it would tough to prove they lied about/misrepresented the space if none of that stuff is in writing but the lease is signed. What a shitty situation.

-JV
John Valencia - Freelance audio-recorder-mixer guy
-One East Recording (Matt Wells)
-Melody Lanes (Jay Braun)

bantam
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by bantam » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:48 am

somehting like this?

i have decided to boycott your products and will influence all of my contacts in the music and film industry to do so until there is a fair and equitable resolution to the property lease dispute between John Nady and Massey Plugins R&D facility that was leased under false representation.

have a nice day

Jason Busch
Owner Bantam Audio Labs Inc.

audiobylaw
audio school graduate

Try something like this

Post by audiobylaw » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:49 am

I have just been made aware of Steven Massy being leased a space owned by the Nady family that was sold using misleading information.

The audio community is still small enough that unscrupulous behavior will lead to a far diminished reputation and subsequent loss of sales that would warrant an immediate and satisfactory resolution to this matter.

Mark Law
President
A Bloody Good Record INC
347 228 3059

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:12 am

sonicmook56
steve albini likes it

Post by sonicmook56 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:24 am

They are being totally unreasonable.

LazarusLong
steve albini likes it

Post by LazarusLong » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:27 am

I've been boycotting Nady anyway in that I'd never, ever buy their gear, so sure - why not?
The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And vice versa.

Tims96
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Tims96 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:44 am

This absolutely sucks. Massey is a great company and it seems like Nady really screwed them over.

While it's great to see the community rallying behind Massey's plight, I have to ask if making the details of their professional agreement public might not amount to libel (or at least the Nady lawyers might see it as such.) I know absolutely nothing about libel law, except from an experience in college where I wanted to publicize shady practices by my landlord. A lawyer advised me against it because it could have potentially be considered libel, even if the claims were true.

Even though Massey didn't ask us to give Nady a piece of our minds, I sure would like to. I'm just hesitant because it might negatively impact negotiations between the two companies. If anyone knows more about libel law than I do (so really anything at all) I'd love to hear your take on the situation.

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:46 am

Dear Nady:

I saw this online today, thought you might want to know how you're coming off to potential customers:

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=69745

With all the money Nady must spend on advertising, marketing, and public relations, how could you let a stupid move like this taint the perception you have in the marketplace?

If you're going to try to separate the actions of your COO - who is also the wife of the CEO/Founder - from the actions of the company in this matter, I would suggest you don't even bother. According to Mr. Massey you represented that the space was previously used by John Nady as his own personal studio. Surely then the presence of a disruptive rehearsal space next door would be a known nuisance that should be noted in a walk through. If Toby Nady is the COO of a company which sells microphones, she should have at least a cursory understanding of the practical physics of sound.

My personal opinion is that Toby Nady is guilty of fraud in this matter. Why would I want to do business with a company whose COO appears to have no ethics? Please answer me if you come up with a good reason, as I'm stumped.

I'm not sure if you've seen a news report in the last month, but you're setting yourselves up to be the Toyota of the sound and recording industries. Not an enviable position to be in. In fact, the only person who stands to benefit from this is Noel Lee, CEO of Monster Cable. Now at least when people in the audio field are asked to think of a horrible person, they won't always have to think of him.

Artifex
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Artifex » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:59 am

The reality is that Nady makes the vast majority of their business not from pro audio, but from budget consumers. I doubt they care too much about this demographic.

I don't see this playing out very well, but I sure hope it does, for Massey's sake. Maybe he could sound-proof the space?

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:09 pm

Artifex wrote:Maybe he could sound-proof the space?
Sound "proofing" is incredibly expensive and best achieved during initial construction. It's even more expensive if done after the fact. Not something I'd be interested in diving into for a leased space.