a four channel power amp for install?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joel hamilton
zen recordist

a four channel power amp for install?

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:46 pm

Anyone have any ideas for me here?
I am helping some people make a really cool installed home system that needs to sound pretty good, with in-wall, and in-ceiling speakers and subs, but with a centralized machine room type interface that has a pre amp and some power amps, because there will be attenuaters built into the walls of each room to control volume at each zone...

anyway, what i really need is a good, solid, well built power amp and enough channels of it for 7 pairs of speakers. we can use multiple power amps. This will be a rack mounted situation most likely, so no audiophile type stuff. Something like what we would actually use in a control room.
The speakers are passive, so we have to use amps, though.
Any ideas to power 7 pairs of speakers from a single source?
The amps can be pricey, but not crazy. They must be reliable as well. No fans!

judecca
takin' a dinner break

Post by judecca » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:22 pm

I have personally used the lab gruppen c-series with great success. there are several different quad and eight channel amps available across various wattages, depending on your needs. And because of the way they handle the power supply, you get similar output power even if your load is different across different channels. 70v options available. They love 2ohms as well!!
"what burns metal, burns hands"

Tonelab Studios
Advanced Audio & Lighting Systems
ryan@tonelabstudios.com
www.tonelabstudios.com