Dunlop Jazz III pick for non-jazzers?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

logancircle
tinnitus

Dunlop Jazz III pick for non-jazzers?

Post by logancircle » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:02 am

I'd like to share something I discovered about picks. I am a nerd in that I love sci-fi, but not a nerd about guitar. I've always played rock and noise, but have never been good enough to shred or learn to take jazz solos. I'd never given much thought to what picks I used -- usually it was whatever I could find. That was until I laughingly picked up the little black Dunlop Jazz III pick. Laughingly, because it looked so rigid and, I dunno, Joe Satriani. I couldn't imagine a situation where I'd ever require that kind of precision. But when I started playing my normal stuff, I was floored. I have never put them down, even when I'm strumming acoustic. Anyone else had this experience?
Here's a new one that's been getting rave reviews: Image[/img]
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Studio and Field Recorder in NYC.
I like dirt.
IG: stormydanielson

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:38 am

For years I just played with my finger nail, kindof reinforcing it with my thumb. As if I was holding a pick, but no pick. I kinda liked not being reliant on finding a pick to play. Then I discovered jazz picks, which is basically all I've ever used since. I totally, utterly suck at guitar though.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:54 am

I used "jazz" picks for awhile and enjoyed the precision and accuracy, but I would always tear my hands up when strumming acoustic or big chords on electric at shows. Plus they were harder to come by in shops, so I went back to the usual Fender mediums. I kinda didn't want to get stuck in a situation where I was freaking out from having the 'wrong" pick.

Not a real good reason, but it's the reason I used.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

GMR990
audio school graduate

Post by GMR990 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:26 pm

Snarl 12/8 wrote:For years I just played with my finger nail, kindof reinforcing it with my thumb. As if I was holding a pick, but no pick. I kinda liked not being reliant on finding a pick to play. Then I discovered jazz picks, which is basically all I've ever used since. I totally, utterly suck at guitar though.
I used to do that too, had to stop after my fingernail started wearing down and stopped regrowing. I use Dunlop Big Stubbys, I got into them when I was playing bass and kept bending "normal" pics into oblivion. I use the stubby's for everything, I'm a big lad and hit the guitar hard, does the job!
Nicorette for your chakras

rty5150
pushin' record

Post by rty5150 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:49 pm

jazz 3 user for about 10 years. the new ultex jazz 3's are awesome.
they are great for shred guitar, which is my main style, but are very articulate.
the pint on them make for very little wasted movement and tighter picking. the small size makes tucking the pick away for taps very easy and the stiffness makes the attack of the string very even. the black jazz 3 and ultex jazz 3 have a great gripping system. the red ones not as much as they are slick, but the black and ultex and very nice and the ultex last a lot longer and have a brighter attack than the black ones.

rich

Artifex
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Artifex » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:01 pm

Luz jazz picks. I use them fine for strumming as well, but I tend to prefer lots of partial strumming so...

jaguarsg
pushin' record

Post by jaguarsg » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:41 pm

great for trem picking, good for soloing, shit for chords.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:46 am

Once, about 10 years ago, I had this pick that had a circular hole in the middle. It felt really cool to use it, cause your finger and thumb could actually touch while you held it. Are those things still available? It was the small, hard, jazz style.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:20 am

I used the Jazz III for years and really liked them. Now I use metal picks. I like the tone.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:08 pm

Sometimes I play rhythm guitar in a friend's project (which is generally hard rock, occasionally more metal stuff and sometimes acoustic versions of the same), and the lead singer/guitarist swears by Jazz IIIs. He's not a stickler for..anything really..but ever since he started buying Jazz IIIs he's both never used anything else and hasn't stopped raving about them. I haven't tried them yet.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:12 pm

I stopped using the Big Stubby (3mm!!!) when I got heavily into playing acoustic. The material (Lexan) was way too clicky on the strings.

Now I use a Dunlop Delrin 2mm (thickest they make in that style) and pick with the shoulder of the pick. Nice tone that way - plenty of bass.

DJ_LBP
takin' a dinner break

Post by DJ_LBP » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:51 pm

I like the Tortex orange ones most of the time, but I also like the Dunlop 208, which is thick, but it still sounds soft on the strings. I really like those for strumming and single-note stuff on nylon-strings, and you can shave the bevels down if you want a thinner edge on one side.
Why not?

-Hunter S. Thompson

premiumdan
steve albini likes it

Picks of choice

Post by premiumdan » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:19 am

PickOp:

Don't remember how I eneded up with the first one (found?), but I've been
using Dunlop Nylon 1mm picks for years now. I like the stiff-yet-flexible
feel.

I tend to play with the rounded ends instead of the point of the pick. Not
sure what that's all about, other than it's what my fingers want to do. It
wasn't by choice...

My .02 :^:

Cheers!
-Dan
U.S. off-shore drilling project: 1.5kHz @ +25db.

austingreen
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by austingreen » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:06 pm

I had a similar experience but with a different pick.

http://www.dandreapicks.com/picks/proplec.htm

#320 small rounded teardrop version

While kind of the opposite of the OP, I was always searching for that jazz guitar sound I liked and when an ES-175 and Gibson GA-50 were still not getting me all the way there, a stranger at a local store turned me on to these and it was instantly that sound.

It took me a while to use this pick for material other than jazz but now use it on everything including strumming acoustic, just have to play a lot lighter. Not the best sounding for recording strumming acoustic but feels good to play with.

I have no real insight but thought maybe it's not just the rounded teardrop shape but also the thickness (the 1.5mm part) is also rounded on this pick maybe giving it that darker tone I prefer.

Winstontaneous
takin' a dinner break

Post by Winstontaneous » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:48 pm

I like these & the similar red one for single note stuff but they're not big enough for me to strum comfortably. I love Dunlop picks--I use the Delrin .71 & .96 for guitar and bass and break out various nylon/Tortex for different sounds/feels.