Logic 9, worth it?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

pskjr
gettin' sounds

Logic 9, worth it?

Post by pskjr » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:44 am

I'm currently using Logic 8 for most of my recordings (i also dabble in pro tools occasionally). I got the copy of Logic from a friend who no longer needed it and he failed to get me all the loops and instruments and such. The new features in Logic 9 seem awesome, but before I shell out 200 bucks to get the upgrade I need to know if it's really worth it. Do the guitar amp rigs and plug ins and simulators and pedals all really work as well as Logic claim they do? Are the plug ins any better? What else makes this program worth the $200 upgrade cost?
I'm also considering purchasing Cubase 5. So if anyone has any experience on both Logic 9 and Cubase 5 and has any input to which is better for mostly recording sessions that involve acoustic instruments (drums, bass, guitars, vocals) and not so much midi-based instruments, any input would be greatly appreciated.

kingtoad
pushin' record

Post by kingtoad » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:56 am

Personally I've found the upgrade to be worth it for the editing improvements alone. Edit groups work properly and flex time is a powerful tool in the right circumstances, and you can edit within take folders now as well.

I've not fallen in love with the amp simulations, though I haven't delved too deep into them. The pedalboard is really useful for fucking up sounds or coming up with ideas.

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:05 am

If you already have Pro Tools and Logic, I'd be hard pressed to think of a reason why you might want to also buy Cubase. Not that there's anything wrong with Cubase, but if you already have two programs, why not just try to get more proficient with one or both of them?

You say two things that strike me as vaguely contradictory in your post. On one hand, you mention that your friend neglected to give you the loops when giving you Logic 8; this would lead me to believe that to some degree you actually want them. You also seem interested in the quality of Logic 9's amp and pedal simulators. Then you seem to say that you have no use for MIDI and you're primarily recording acoustic instruments.

If you received a legit copy of Logic Studio for free from a friend and were able to re-register it to yourself, then why not consider getting the loops, etc. as part of the $200 upgrade? You'll have a full current version of Logic Studio for only $200. I need more friends like you have!

In the end, any program is going to be more or less the same at capturing audio. Everything that happens before the software saves those 1's and 0's is going to make a much bigger difference in the sound than how the software saves them. And everything you do in mixing is going to make a much bigger difference than what the software does, as well.

pskjr
gettin' sounds

Post by pskjr » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:19 am

well i'm interested in the guitar amp sims more for layering and experimenting. i will be doing stuff with midi and what not so it'd be nice to have the loops and all that crap. i'm kind of looking for a best of both worlds type of thing. and i actually got both pro tools and logic 8 for free, and if the upgrade to logic 9 wasnt worth it i wouldve considered getting another daw because the two i have didnt cost me anything and i have some extra money right now. the time flex definitely seems awesome, i'm thinking i may head to an apple store and mess around in the daw for a little bit, see if they'll let me import some stuff ive recorded and edit and experiment.

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:28 am

pskjr wrote:...i actually got both pro tools and logic 8 for free...
Once again: I need to be friends with your friends.

Either that, or you have a pickup truck. Because I've been called on to help move a lot of fold out couches in my day, but I didn't supply transportation. That's gotta be the difference between getting a couple of slices of pizza and getting a Pro Tools setup.

pskjr
gettin' sounds

Post by pskjr » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:45 am

hahaha yeah it is quite nice.

Z-Plane
pushin' record

Post by Z-Plane » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:45 pm

I've been with Logic since v3 and the improvements I'm most grateful for are automation, environments and mouse functions. Regarding factory plugs, the EXS 24, EVP88 and space designer are perhaps the only genuine milestones I can credit Logic with. That's not because I wouldn't use the other plugs, just that they are totally plain vanilla, often failing to be either faithful or useful. Same with the amp sims, I've yet to hear anyone write software that beats a mic in front of a cab, and its not like I'd have any moral objections if I thought these things sounded any good. So I'm giving a broad fail to DAW amp sims, Logic included and FWIW I delete all apple loop content and factory samples if they ever get the chance to install, the W is for "workstation" not "pastestation". Its a damn good program anyway, but new versions always have to be rolled out, and with that they need new trinkets.

Trinkets.

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:13 pm

I use the amp sims in 9 all the time. they are quite awesome to my ears. Loops are fun, but I never use them other than for fun. Overall, 9 is a big step up from 8 for me and at a $200 expense, you should have done it yesterday. So do it tomorrow. Install. Play around with it for a couple hours. Then thank me. :D
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

route-electrique
gettin' sounds

Post by route-electrique » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:53 pm

I like Logic 9. Although i always thought that Amp Sims are just extra. I would pay the upgrade price for the Bounce in Place, Project Export -feature and External FX things alone :).
♫ "Beware the handshake that hides the snake. Beware the pat on the back - it just might hold you back." ♫

pk
buyin' gear

Post by pk » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:28 pm

route-electrique wrote:I like Logic 9. Although i always thought that Amp Sims are just extra. I would pay the upgrade price for the Bounce in Place, Project Export -feature and External FX things alone :).
+ 1

Bounce In Place has been my most used feature thus far since 9.
Logic Amp sims, very good, very usable. If you want great, get NI Guitar Rig.
Flex time, very, very, very cool and better than Ableton to my ears.
Although, I would to see real-time pitch change in Logic like in Live. The pitch-shifting plugs that come stock are not much to write about, imo.

Get the upgrade and run.

pskjr
gettin' sounds

Post by pskjr » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:26 pm

It'll be here wednesday

pskjr
gettin' sounds

Post by pskjr » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:14 am

well everyone, it's here. and........

i've been dooped!

the copy of logic my friend gave me apparently didn't have a good serial number. after installing that one and using the serial he gave me everything was fine (gave it to me on a blank dvd, hence why I didn't have any of the other bonus material such as loops and blah blah blah). I then entered the serial he gave me when upgrading to Logic 9, and bam! denied. called Apple to check the serial number and the one I have has been found online and they need a proof of purchase for Logic 8 in order to get a replacement. So basically I'm screwed....

Oh well, I do have a legitimate copy of Logic Express 7. Considering installing that on my mac and then getting the $300 upgrade. Not sure if I have the extra $$ though. And if I was going to shell out that much I would also consider getting the educational edition of Cubase 5.

route-electrique
gettin' sounds

Post by route-electrique » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:20 pm

Your friend gave you Logic? :lol:
♫ "Beware the handshake that hides the snake. Beware the pat on the back - it just might hold you back." ♫

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:55 pm

*Wrongful accusation retracted.* :oops:
Last edited by Gentleman Jim on Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pskjr
gettin' sounds

Post by pskjr » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:52 pm

weird thing is, i was with him when he bought it.. he gave me the dvd because he couldn't find his original installs. oh and as far as pro tools, technically i don't have it, i am just able to use it whenever i want, considering that's what my worship pastor uses when he records and has it on his mac which is in the office, so i move it out to the studio if i want to use pro tools. and no, i did not receive any other cracked programs. if i could, and was willing and able to get cracked programs, i would probably do that with cubase as well, and any other daw i wanted, including the logic upgrade, which i could easily get for free as well, but purchased from apple. yup.