Next Vocal mic?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

junkstar
re-cappin' neve

Post by junkstar » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:30 am

I sold off a ton of mics years ago. Kept my SM7 and my 421 among others. They remain permanently set up at all times.

aamicrophones
ass engineer

Re: Next Vocal mic?

Post by aamicrophones » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:41 pm

Hello, did you check out the review on our CM47 microphone in the May edition of Tape Op. You can also e-mail John at Reelsound in the UK as he has samples up on his site.

Cheers, Dave
www.aamicrophones.com

I currently have the following mics.

Oktava MK-319, Rode NT-1a, MXL v67g and Studio Projects B1.

All of these mics are considered as budget mics (I paid under ?100 for each of these) so I am considering buying something better.

I would like to spend up to ?350 for my next mic. I will be using it entirely for vocals and will be using it with either my Focusrite ISA ONE or GAP PRE-73 preamps.

On having a quick look around these are the mics I'm considering :-

SE Electronics SE2200T
SE Electronics Titan
AKG C214
Audio Technica AT 3060

I also considering buying a dynamic or ribbon mic such as the Shure SM7b or Golden Age R1mkIII.

I would like the mic to have low noise, lots of detail without sounding harsh or exaggerated high end and have warm and thickness to the tone.

What mic would you recommend for this?[/quote]
PROFESSIONAL MICROPHONES AT AFFORDABLE PRICES

aamicrophones
ass engineer

Post by aamicrophones » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:41 pm

Hello, did you check out the review on our CM47 microphone in the May edition of Tape Op. You can also e-mail John at Reelsound in the UK as he has samples up on his site.

Cheers, Dave
www.aamicrophones.com

All of these mics are considered as budget mics (I paid under ?100 for each of these) so I am considering buying something better.

I would like to spend up to ?350 for my next mic. I will be using it entirely for vocals and will be using it with either my Focusrite ISA ONE or GAP PRE-73 preamps.

SE Electronics SE2200T
SE Electronics Titan
AKG C214
Audio Technica AT 3060

I also considering buying a dynamic or ribbon mic such as the Shure SM7b or Golden Age R1mkIII.

I would like the mic to have low noise, lots of detail without sounding harsh or exaggerated high end and have warm and thickness to the tone.

aamicrophones
ass engineer

Post by aamicrophones » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:41 pm

Cheers, Dave
www.aamicrophones.com

SE Electronics SE2200T
SE Electronics Titan
AKG C214
Audio Technica AT 3060

dickiefunk
takin' a dinner break

Post by dickiefunk » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:35 am

Thanks for the replies.

I'm considering buying 2 mics now.

I've been offered a secondhand SE2200T at an extremely low price and am pretty tempted.

I'm also torn between the OktavaMod MK-319 and SM7b.

Ideally I'd like all three but can't stretch to this!!

Not sure which 2 to get!?

aamicrophones
ass engineer

Post by aamicrophones » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:17 pm

Hello, the 2200T like the MK319 and the SM7b are cardiod only microphones.

Is the MK319 the Mike Joly version or a stock Russian version?

I was bringing in the MK319 from Russia several years ago and found them to be inconsistent a really "bright' in the 4-5khz range and I passed on them because I felt I could turn some of the Chinese microphone into a better product.

Our CM47fet is the microphone I replace the MK319 with in our line and added a OMNI/CARD option.

However, Mike gets some remarkable results out of the MK319 with his upgrades and it sounds like a completely different microphone.

SE does not show much information about the 2200T but from the response curve it looks like a edge fed AKG type capsule.

The response is flat to 5khz where it gently starts to rise and then bumps up at about 12.5khz which will give you some nice air and not the "edgyness" of the stock MK319 if it not a Mike Joly version. Mike worked worked wonders to smooth out this "edgyness".

The 2200T is also a tube microphone while the MK319 is a fet so that will also change the sound.

The 2200T sold for about twice as much new as the stock MK319.

I would probably go with the 2200T if the MK319 is not the Mike Joly Version.

If you did not like the response of the capsule you can upgrade it at a later date as we have several capsule option that will fit.

If you go with the 2200T then I would put a 6072 tube into it and remove the 12AX7.

The SM7b is a dynamic microphone with a similar response to the SM57 but the capsule is set back further with a better pop filter and there is a presence and low end cut. These microphone will take everything you can throw at it.

If the MK319 is a Mike Joly then you should really try and see if you can hear any shoot outs between the two and see which one you like best.

Cheers, Dave
www.aamicrophones.com

kingmetal
buyin' gear

Post by kingmetal » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:48 pm

if you're sold on the 2200T (which is sounds like you are), it looks like you facing the choice between a cheaper mic that could potentially be EXACTLY what you're looking for based on your OP, or a very slightly more expensive known-quantity mic that is so well respected in the community that it's hard to go wrong with (I know I'll own an SM7b myself before the year is out).

tough choice, but having two great options is hard like that -- either way I think you're going to be really happy with the results. I would imagine you'd get more detail out of the 319.
Little Ship Studios
--------------------
Little Ship is proud to announce Bill Wild's EP Phone Number

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:01 pm

Of all my (cheap-to-mid level) mics, the two standouts that I would sell last?

SM7b and Groove Tubes MD1a.

They both work great on vocals.

The reason I would sell them last - they also work great on other things like guitar, drums, etc:

I especially like the MD1a, it has completely quenched any more mic-gear-lust for a vocal mic. In fact, I liked it so much I bought another one in case the 1st one broke, and now I use the pair as drum overheads when not doing lead vocal takes.

The SM7b also sounds great on vocals, and it sounds really great on guitar. I was stunned first time I tried it. Now I just leave it permanently jammed it up against the grill of my Pro Reverb. The resulting tracks almost never need any EQ.
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:59 pm

aamicrophones wrote:The SM7b is a dynamic microphone with a similar response to the SM57 but the capsule is set back further with a better pop filter and there is a presence and low end cut. These microphone will take everything you can throw at it.

Cheers, Dave
www.aamicrophones.com

I don't think SM7s sound anything like 57s. My TAB modified 57 maybe, but not a stock 57 (and I am not a member of the "I hate 57s" club).

SM7 is much clearer, and more detailed, and hi-fi sounding.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

PT
pushin' record

Post by PT » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:43 pm

aamicrophones wrote:Hello, did you check out the review on our CM47 microphone in the May edition of Tape Op. You can also e-mail John at Reelsound in the UK as he has samples up on his site.

Cheers, Dave
www.aamicrophones.com
[/quote]

I recently purchased a CM47 and have been getting great results, especially on vocals. This mic just puts the vocals right where they need to be in the mix. It has a lot of character to its sound. And it's really affordable when you consider it has multiple polar patterns.

dickiefunk
takin' a dinner break

Post by dickiefunk » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:25 pm

Just bought the SE2200T for ?160.

Will be picking the SM7b up next

I will probably end up selling my MXL v67g and maybe my Studio Projects B1 aswell.

Will also be getting my Oktava MK-319 modded by JJ Audio.

Should be sorted on the mic front for quite some time then!!

Thanks for the suggestions and info!

Rex Reason
audio school

Post by Rex Reason » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:08 am

Another vote for the Shure SM7b

It fits the requirements listed in your original post exactly. Not only that but it's very forgiving if you don't have an ideal room to sing in.

It's also the mic Michael Jackson used on Thriller, if that means anything to you.

As mentioned previously, very versatile as well.

route-electrique
gettin' sounds

Post by route-electrique » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:38 am

4047SV here. Results are amazing.
♫ "Beware the handshake that hides the snake. Beware the pat on the back - it just might hold you back." ♫