Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

dickiefunk
takin' a dinner break

Next Vocal mic?

Post by dickiefunk » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:48 am

Hi,

I currently have the following mics.

Oktava MK-319, Rode NT-1a, MXL v67g and Studio Projects B1.

All of these mics are considered as budget mics (I paid under ?100 for each of these) so I am considering buying something better.

I would like to spend up to ?350 for my next mic. I will be using it entirely for vocals and will be using it with either my Focusrite ISA ONE or GAP PRE-73 preamps.

On having a quick look around these are the mics I'm considering :-

SE Electronics SE2200T
SE Electronics Titan
AKG C214
Audio Technica AT 3060

I also considering buying a dynamic or ribbon mic such as the Shure SM7b or Golden Age R1mkIII.

I would like the mic to have low noise, lots of detail without sounding harsh or exaggerated high end and have warm and thickness to the tone.

What mic would you recommend for this?

kingmetal
buyin' gear

Post by kingmetal » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:57 am

Oktavamod has you covered:

MXL 67g Mod
R0de NT1-A Mod
Lots of 319 mod options!

I think Joly said he would even do the Studio Projects B1, but I'm a little too sleep deprived to search it right now.

I've got the modded 67g but I got it in-between projects and have only used it on a voiceover track (which I SWEAR I will post soon, I've been meaning to). The NT1-A mod I'll be getting a hold of middle of this month, it's getting a lot of people stoked.

This way you don't have to waste the mics that you've already bought -- I really personally like the idea of never really outgrowing my first mics (one day my MXL 990 is going into Joly's shop to get some love!).

EDIT: your low noise criteria screams NT1-A mod. those things are ridiculously quiet!
Last edited by kingmetal on Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Little Ship Studios
--------------------
Little Ship is proud to announce Bill Wild's EP Phone Number

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jitters » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:58 am

What dynamics do you currently own? I would look at a GREAT dynamic, perhaps even a ribbon to fit that criteria in that price range.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:36 am

The Shure KSM44 is a great mic IMHO...my personal favorite ldc for under $4k....retails at $800 but I bought mine used for $300. I A/B'd it against a U87 in college and I thought they were comparable but the KSM44 had a little more body to it (on female vocals). A pair of them is great on overheads as well.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:37 am

I think it'd be hard to beat an SM7 or used 441 for $350.

Maybe an RE20, though I've never used one on vocals.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

kinger
steve albini likes it

Post by kinger » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:29 am

An SM7 is a super-safe purchase; it's great as a vocal mic but if it's not what you're looking for it's great for a thousand other things (slight exaggeration).

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:09 am

kinger wrote:An SM7 is a super-safe purchase; it's great as a vocal mic but if it's not what you're looking for it's great for a thousand other things (slight exaggeration).
Not an exageration!

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:34 am

Beyerdynamic M88. Sounds great on virtually everything.
"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:36 am

I find my AKG 414 buls to be my most versatile vocal mic, so my vote is for the C214. (not that I?ve heard it)
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:49 am

Buying an SM7B if you don't already have one is a pretty solid purchase. I use mine on vocals, bass, guitar, drums. It's not good for everything all the time, but it's great for some things some of the time. A good workhorse mic to have in the locker. As far as vocals go I use it mostly on loud, aggressive vocalists. Especially if it's someone that insists on holding the mic or doesn't feel comfortable with headphones, since it's not too sensitive and it has pretty good off axis rejection.

I'm kind of curious about the AKG C214 myself.

dickiefunk
takin' a dinner break

Post by dickiefunk » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:22 am

I am considering possibly getting my current mics modded aswell.

I've heard loads of good things about the Michael Joly mods but am unsure which mic to get modded first?

He mods all the mics I own.

I am quite fancying something new for the moment and am pretty tempted by the SE 2200T as I don't have a tube mic and this one has got some excellent reviews!

There's also been a lot of recommendation for the Shure SM7b which I've tried and liked. I think I'll have to borrow one of these again and give it a good try out.
I'm a little put off from getting a dynamic mic though because of the large amount of gain needed. I like to try and get my vocal recordings as noise free and intimate as possible.
Having said that, my Focusrite ISA One and GAP PRE-73 are extremely quiet preamps.

I've also heard good things about the CAD M9 which I've noticed is in my budget.

Hmm decisions!

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:22 am

dickiefunk wrote:I'm a little put off from getting a dynamic mic though because of the large amount of gain needed. I like to try and get my vocal recordings as noise free and intimate as possible.
I've recorded everything from screaming deathmetal vocals, to quiet singer-songwriter vocals with my SM7, and not once have I had an issue with the output being too low.

It does require more gain than other mics I have, but not so much that it's ever made it unuseable. You don't need your levels insanely hot going into your DAW anyway.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

kingmetal
buyin' gear

Post by kingmetal » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:57 am

dickiefunk wrote:I am considering possibly getting my current mics modded aswell.

I've heard loads of good things about the Michael Joly mods but am unsure which mic to get modded first?
I REALLY think, given the criteria you laid out in your OP that the NT1-A mod would really make you happy. Check out the audio examples on the Oktavamod website.

Joly's stuff sounds exactly like what you want, since he tends to lean towards full bodied, detailed (but not harsh) mics, and the NT1-A is such a quiet mic.
Little Ship Studios
--------------------
Little Ship is proud to announce Bill Wild's EP Phone Number

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:14 pm

AKG 414, NOT THE 214!!!

With the 414, you get 5 polar patterns, 10,20 dB pad, and low roloff switch.

You can do so much more with that mic than just vocals, and they are great on vocals too.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Producer/Engineer
takin' a dinner break

Post by Producer/Engineer » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:58 am

I would agree with Kingmetal, "Oktavamod has you covered!" I would pick my fav out of what I already have and have his mod. It's like having a brand new super mic when you get it back and all of the mics former "shortcomings" are GONE! Check out the sample at Joly's website of the modded NT1A!
http://www.oktavamodshop.com/product_in ... cts_id=145

The SM7b suggestions are also good. Really nice with a Fethead. (not a Fathead! see link below... these things are great on dynamics as well as ribbon mics!!!)
http://www.oktavamodshop.com/advanced_s ... ad&x=0&y=0
Last edited by Producer/Engineer on Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.