Snow Leopard

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

tdbajus
suffering 'studio suck'

Snow Leopard

Post by tdbajus » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:49 pm

I installed Snow Leopard on my iMac at home, and now everything is running much, much slower.

My friend who knows much more about these things than i do, says that I must be crazy. Anyone else have the same experience?

Andy Peters
re-cappin' neve

Re: Snow Leopard

Post by Andy Peters » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:25 pm

tdbajus wrote:I installed Snow Leopard on my iMac at home, and now everything is running much, much slower.

My friend who knows much more about these things than i do, says that I must be crazy. Anyone else have the same experience?
No, I have the exact opposite experience: both my Core Duo MacBook Pro and my iMac are faster.

-a
"On the internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

tdbajus
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by tdbajus » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:07 pm

Andy Peters wrote:
No, I have the exact opposite experience: both my Core Duo MacBook Pro and my iMac are faster.

-a
So, it seems, does everyone else. I don't know how I could have possibly screwed up an install, since all I had to do was insert the disc, and press go.

Still, since the day I installed it, I have been constantly confronted with the Whirling Wheel of Wait (aka the Beachball of Frustration) trying to perform the simplest of tasks. Browsing the internet has become painfully slow- and god help you if you've opened more than a couple of tabs at the same time.

echosound
studio intern

Post by echosound » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:18 pm

hi i noticed this too. my Girl got a new silver mac laptop (circa) 2 moths ago.. the thing was unbelievably SLOW. i have a 2 year old white mac book running 10.4 that destroys hers.
Hers goes beachball opening itunes. takes like 2 seconds after selecting a song.. i was so pissed for her, but she really only does basic stuff on it so i don't think she cares!
I also have a mac pro tower running 10.5 its way faster than snow leopard.. i'm very glad i passed on this upgrade! sorry to hear about your problems..
10.6 kinda seems like a mess so far in my experience with it..

pskjr
gettin' sounds

Post by pskjr » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:10 am

tdbajus wrote: No, I have the exact opposite experience: both my Core Duo MacBook Pro and my iMac are faster.

-a

Same here, installed it on my iMac a few months ago and it's been great, much faster than before. Doesn't really make sense to me why it would make your mac slower, unless something went wrong during the install. I would contact apple support

route-electrique
gettin' sounds

Post by route-electrique » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:05 pm

Did you do clean install ? or just installed over your old OS ?.
♫ "Beware the handshake that hides the snake. Beware the pat on the back - it just might hold you back." ♫

ThePitz
gettin' sounds

Post by ThePitz » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:39 am

route-electrique wrote:Did you do clean install ? or just installed over your old OS ?.
That's an awesome question.

Snow Leopard made my 2ghz MPB run a bit zippier - but I installed it on a brand new harddrive that I put in it - so I dunno if the speed is the drive or the OS... Either way - it certainly isn't a resource hog.

Do you have tons of external drives hooked up? Maybe it's just spotlight indexing all of your files and whatnot.
tra la la

Tims96
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Tims96 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:14 pm

Agreed that whether or not it was a clean install could have an effect on performance. If possible, when installing a significant OS upgrade, it's best to backup everything on your old system (on multiple drives, to be safe) and then erase the hard drive before installing the OS. It's easy for a lot of crap to build up in your filesystem, and clearing all that out often makes installs smoother.

One thing you might check is your RAM. I think Snow Leopard requires around 1 GB of memory, but will definitely run faster with more.

Also try contacting Apple. The "Genius Bars" at their stores, while not always appropriately named, have been helpful to me a few times before.