Possibly Moving to Chicago... Shamelessly Soliciting Advice

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

James Oh
audio school graduate

Possibly Moving to Chicago... Shamelessly Soliciting Advice

Post by James Oh » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:41 pm

Hey all. I've been a bit of an on-and-off lurker here for a while but finally decided to post since I figured some of you may be able to steer me in the right direction, if you would be so kind.

I'm currently living in Marquette, MI (originally from Detroit, so I have some big city experience) and am contemplating moving to Chicago (yes, I've spent a little time in Chicago and love it. This isn't me trying to follow my idols or anything). Ideally I'd like to find a studio to work in, but I have little in the way of formal training in that regard.

I graduated a few years ago and have spent the time since in radio. I'm currently the Production/Programming director for a four-station network. I've even got a little of the boring Traffic side of it under my belt. Thing is, my heart was never in radio and, although there are far worse fates, I'd rather start getting experience in a proper recording studio. I have a Bachelor's in Media Production and New Technology, a Michigan Broadcasting Award, plenty of home recording experience and a fair bit of experience running live sound and sound for television. Still, I've never had a "proper" job in a studio and I think I've gotten about all I can out of this city.

So I'm trying to figure what my best approach is here. Money, for the time being, isn't an issue. I've saved up enough over the years to move easily and survive for a while without work, but I'd probably regret uprooting without finding a new job first.

And, at long length, the questions:

1.) It'd probably be safer for me to simply look for jobs in radio for the time being. Should I even attempt to find studio work from seven hours away? Would anyone consider me?

2.) I've thought of going back to school, in Chicago, for a degree specifically in the recording arts. Trouble with this is, of course, I still need money. Are there reputable schools that would hook students up with work in the field? Or am I better off not even thinking about school until/unless I get there and get set up?

Any direction anyone can give me would be hugely appreciated.

CurtZHP
re-cappin' neve

Post by CurtZHP » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:55 pm

Speaking as a full time radio engineer (SBE certified CSRE), who does recording on the side, I'd say there's nothing wrong with a career in radio. Try the engineering side of it.
:wink:

Better the job you have than the job you don't have.
"TEMPUS FUGIT" the Novel -- Now Available!!
http://www.curtyengst.com

James Oh
audio school graduate

Post by James Oh » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:14 pm

CurtZHP wrote:Speaking as a full time radio engineer (SBE certified CSRE), who does recording on the side, I'd say there's nothing wrong with a career in radio. Try the engineering side of it.
:wink:

Better the job you have than the job you don't have.
Yeah, I certainly won't be crying myself to sleep if I just stay in radio and record on the side, but I'd like to get a little more on the professional side of the recording world. I've been thrust into the engineering side of radio a tad and, while I'm a reasonably technical guy, I don't see myself ever being too immersed in that. I'd probably always remain primarily a production/programming guy. Again, not too bad of a place to be, honestly.

Any advice on finding a job in radio out of state? And, a more abstract question, do you feel that transitioning from a fairly small market to a large one would go reasonably smoothly for a guy in my position (three years experience, four stations, both satellite and local programming)? I'm just trying to psyche myself up and make sure that this is something I could pull off.

Thanks for your patience, I'm sure answering some random punk's questions all night isn't your idea of a fun time, so it's much appreciated!

megajoe
gettin' sounds

Post by megajoe » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:46 pm

You should do it, it sounds like a great idea. How bad do you want to be engineering for a living? With that money you've saved up, you could find a place to intern, focus all of your time and energy into your craft, integrate into the local music scene and start getting some sessions. Sure, there's some risk involved, but that's inherent with some of the best things in life.

CurtZHP
re-cappin' neve

Post by CurtZHP » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:53 am

As far as where to look for jobs, AllAccess.com has radio job listings. "Radio World" magazine lists a few occasionally. The SBE website has a jobs board, but that's strictly engineering jobs. There's also the NAB, and most if not all states have their own broadcasting association. Those groups' websites could have listings as well.

Don't discount being a program director in any market. Program directors who actually have good ears and recording chops are in the minority (same with chief engineers), which explains why most radio stations sound like they do. You could easily find yourself in a position to have a positive impact on that.
"TEMPUS FUGIT" the Novel -- Now Available!!
http://www.curtyengst.com

James Oh
audio school graduate

Post by James Oh » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:41 pm

megajoe wrote:You should do it, it sounds like a great idea. How bad do you want to be engineering for a living? With that money you've saved up, you could find a place to intern, focus all of your time and energy into your craft, integrate into the local music scene and start getting some sessions. Sure, there's some risk involved, but that's inherent with some of the best things in life.
How badly do I want to do it? I suppose it's about the only thing I can picture doing every day and not hating (well, I'm sure there'd be some days). As far as interning goes, do you guys feel there's an age limit for that? Or in a technical field are all bets kinda off when it comes to interning? I just turned 27 a couple of weeks ago, and while I certainly don't feel like I'm above interning, I just wonder if I've sorta passed a window to get into it that way. On the other hand, the frequency with which people change careers seems to suggest that you must never be too old to start in something new... right?

Regardless, I just got hooked up with a friend of a friend in Chicago who's been taking a look around on my behalf. He's got his foot in the door with some general audio production companies and might be able to help me out.
CurtZHP wrote:As far as where to look for jobs, AllAccess.com has radio job listings. "Radio World" magazine lists a few occasionally. The SBE website has a jobs board, but that's strictly engineering jobs. There's also the NAB, and most if not all states have their own broadcasting association. Those groups' websites could have listings as well.

Don't discount being a program director in any market. Program directors who actually have good ears and recording chops are in the minority (same with chief engineers), which explains why most radio stations sound like they do. You could easily find yourself in a position to have a positive impact on that.
Oh no, I don't discount being a program director at all and think I have a good combination of attention to detail and solid ears to be pretty effective. I've become a pain in everyone's ass at work because I don't let people get away with spots that're a hair too long or aren't processed to my satisfaction. It's not a bad gig, but it's not a passion for me.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm trying to cast a wide net and those'll definitely be good resources.