Drummers-please help with a part?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Drummers-please help with a part?

Post by Harry » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:29 am

I have a Rogers kit that I'm putting together like this one here.

http://vintagedrumguide.com/images/roge ... msets3.jpg

I want to set it up with one kick so I need a double tom holder.

24" kick.......I appreciate any help, I no almost nothing about drums.

nordberg
pushin' record

Post by nordberg » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:56 am

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rogers-Kick-Bass-Dr ... _500wt_956

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rogers-Big-R-Bass-D ... 013wt_1167

just looking quickly on ebay found these two tom mounts. one has the whole deal and one is just the arm.

-mike
A gaggle of geese? A tangle of cables!

Jarvis
pushin' record

Post by Jarvis » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:24 am

The pic you posted shows Memri-Loc hardware. One of Nordberg's links shows Memri-Loc, one shows Swiv-o-matic type hardware. They are not interchangeable. Ask someone knowledgeable to identify which style you have and go from there. Or post a pic here of the mount hardware on your toms and someone will ID it.
jarvis
Ivan the Threadstopper

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:51 am

I believe mine is the memory-loc
It's the same kit that I posted from the catalog.

So it needs to be a vintage Rogers Memory loc part?

It seems like I remember an old friend "upgrading" his tom holders on his Rogers? not sure though.. and we are out of touch these days.

$129 seems a little spendy.
I bought the whole kit for $300

Jarvis
pushin' record

Post by Jarvis » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:59 am

You could replace the mounts on your toms and bass drum and go with any brand you want, though vintage drum guys will shoot me for saying so. Gibraltar is a decent retrofit brand. I have my Swiv-o-matics fitted with Pearl mounts and RIMS on a floor stand. Not cheap but no damage to the shells.
jarvis
Ivan the Threadstopper

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:49 am

Steve Maxwell's Drum SHops in Chicago and NYC.

The Chicago shop is usually priced a little less expensively. In either case, you can call and talk to someone knowledgeable and they may have the very thing you need in stock.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:49 am

$129 seems a little spendy.
I bought the whole kit for $300
You just bought yourself a kit that's pretty collectible. You're going to be up against bona-fide Rogers fanatics on your parts hunt.

If you want cheap hardware, flip the Rogers kit, make some money on the deal, and buy a Pearl kit. Not as much mojo as big-Rs, but the tom holders are easy to score.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:55 am

Harry wrote:It seems like I remember an old friend "upgrading" his tom holders on his Rogers? not sure though.. and we are out of touch these days.
If the kit's in good shape and it's an older kit, then you got a hell of a deal. You can easily sell it at any point for considerably more money than you paid if you make the effort to sell it in the right circles. You may or may not want to do that, but if at any point, you decide to, then you're in good shape. Again, assuming that the kit is in good shape.

If you do anything to modify the kit that includes changing the shells (by drilling holes to change the tom mounts, for instance), then you just shot down the ability of the kit to appreciate.

I'm not saying, "Don't do it." I'm just saying think about the ramifications before you do.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:52 am

I know it's a collectible... that's why I bought it.
I wouldn't drill any new holes or do anything to ruin it's value.

I just remember my friend saying he improved on the sound of his older (script logo) rogers by changing the mounts.
I don't think he drilled any new holes in his...?.."really made the kit sing" is how he put it.

Maybe I should just spend the $129?
Does it matter what size kick it's going into?

I'll look into that Chicago store also...Thanks

ckeene
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ckeene » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:54 am

Can you do RIMS-type mounts on both toms, then mount gibralter or Pearl arms onto the RIMS, then drop them onto a triple multi-clamp, which then attaches to the existing post? Does that make sense?

Personally I think you should just commit to playing the full drum kit in all its glory.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:58 am

RIMS mounts would be an unobtrusive way to improve the sound of the drums, but there's no way you're getting that all happening for less then $100. You could put RIMS mounts on the toms, put the existing tom mounting brackets on the rims mounts, and clamp the tom arms to cymbals stands (getting the toms off the bass drum, which will also improve the tone a bit). That's what I've done with my vintage Gretsch drums.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:18 pm

I do already have the arms on the toms...so that's something I don't need on this ebay item we're looking at.

would getting a stand makes sense?
I know it would cost at least as much....but would it sound better?

I'm thinking it might just make the most sense to drop the $129?

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:25 am

I'd say that you should embrace your inner Ginger Baker, and set up both bass drums...even if the second one is only being used as a tom holder.

RIMS mounts might be a little dicey - I seem to recall that RIMS aren't set up for Rogers and Sonor hardware. Even with the RIMS setup, you'll still have to deal with the tom arms - if the tubes are really long, you'll have to set them up to account for the extra length.

Check you local Craigslist or drumshops - a heavy duty cymbal stand and a multiclamp or two can put those toms on the old arms on their own stand.
I just remember my friend saying he improved on the sound of his older (script logo) rogers by changing the mounts.
If that kit had Swivomatic tom holders, nearly anything is better. It's extrememly collectible, but not very well engineered. The big-R Memriloc hardware is a huge step up from that.

Jarvis
pushin' record

Post by Jarvis » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:54 am

I believe MeriLoc was a first. And a huge innovation. Swiv-o-matic is an awesome name though.
jarvis
Ivan the Threadstopper

Chris_Avakian
steve albini likes it

Post by Chris_Avakian » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:59 pm

i imagine your going for a more original root here, but if you werent going for a totally stock thing, then pearl makes a 3 way multi clamp, you could mount them offset to the left off a nice boom stand. maybe find a base the tom mount would fit in, or maybe even get some tama starcast mounts. take the original mounts off, get the starcast hoops, and mounts, then mount them off either a tom stand, or with said pearl multiclamp. theres a ton of options. i have a set of 70s slingerlands that i switched over to the starcast mounting i just ripped of my starclassics, and it sounds pretty good. only problem with it i have is the open holes from where i removed the old mounting hardware, but its just an asthetic thing.