Wes Dooley of AEA visits Front End Audio

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Front End Audio
alignin' 24-trk

Wes Dooley of AEA visits Front End Audio

Post by Front End Audio » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:24 pm

Legendary ribbon microphone designer Wes Dooley visited Front End Audio to spend the day with our staff and in the studio showing AEA's latest ribbon microphones and newest ribbon microphone preamplifier, the RPQ. Not only a great guy, Wes Dooley is a wealth of information and we were extremely happy and grateful to have spent the day with him. We thought this would make for a great opportunity to share our experience with you - our friends. Therefore, we decided to shoot an hour long question-and-answer video with Wes, in which he dives into his background, the history of the ribbon microphone, the design and construction philosophy and process at AEA, and the state of the pro-audio and recording industry in general. Throughout the interview, Wes proved to be one of the most interesting speakers we have ever had at Front End Audio through his recounts of product testimonials, impromptu radio and announcer skits, and wealth of historical knowledge. We will be posting this video in segments over the next few weeks so keep checking back to our linked page. Also, we captured some great footage of Wes in our in-house studio with the A840, A440, and R92 microphones. We recorded audio clips of the session that include acoustic guitar, electric guitar, male vocal, spoken word segments featuring Wes himself, and a special acoustic performance by Josh Roberts from Josh Roberts And The Hinges. The clips are an absolute ?must-listen? for anyone interested in ribbon microphones, or in the embodied wealth of experience and knowledge that drives AEA, Wes Dooley.
Click Here For Video And Audio Clips
We hope you enjoy the clips and videos as much as we enjoyed creating them for you.
www.FrontEndAudio.com
Your Ultimate Pro Audio Dealer

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:40 pm

Man, I wish you guys had sent out an email about that.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:18 pm

Cool! I still want to buy an AEA r84!

Front End Audio
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Front End Audio » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:40 pm

cgarges wrote:Man, I wish you guys had sent out an email about that.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Hey Chris. Sorry we missed you on this one but it was a late call kinda thing. Wes was at the shop from 9am till well after 7pm. Man we had a blast! You are always invited down and I have some cool things planned for the near future so give me a call when you have a few minutes.

Shane
www.FrontEndAudio.com

blackdiscoball
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by blackdiscoball » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:14 am

I once talked to wes at Pot luck con and he is definitely a wealth of knowledge on everything from mics to airplanes... probable everything.
myspace.com/blackdiscoballstudio/

dgrieser
steve albini likes it

Post by dgrieser » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:10 am

Going to the link in the 1st post crashed Firefox twice for me. Anyone else having trouble with it?

Front End Audio
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Front End Audio » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:45 pm

dgrieser wrote:Going to the link in the 1st post crashed Firefox twice for me. Anyone else having trouble with it?
This is the fisrt I have heard of any issues but traffic has been real heavy on the page so just might just be backed up. Guys let me know if anyone else is having a problem.

Shane
www.FrontEndAudio.com

sears
steve albini likes it

Post by sears » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:50 pm

dgrieser wrote:Going to the link in the 1st post crashed Firefox twice for me. Anyone else having trouble with it?
Yes. Exactly the same for me.

playinbass
alignin' 24-trk

Post by playinbass » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:54 pm

yep, crashed FireFox 3.6 Mac OS x 10.5.8 and Safari 4.0.2

Front End Audio
alignin' 24-trk

Here is the direct link

Post by Front End Audio » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:50 am

Hey guys sorry about the inconvenience here is the direct link to the page http://www.frontendaudio.com/Articles.asp?ID=213 I tried to replicate the problem with all of the following browsers Chrome, Safari, Firefox, And Internet explorer (all running on windows XP) and I did not have any problems with it. Hopefully the direct link will work but let me know if you have any more difficulty with getting it to work.

Cheers,
Nicholas
www.FrontEndAudio.com