Mixing things louder without it sounding messy?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vivalastblues
steve albini likes it

Mixing things louder without it sounding messy?

Post by vivalastblues » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:05 pm

Whenever I start compressing things and making them louder in Logic I always end up with a louder but way messier mix. Am I doing something wrong in tracking or should I not be trying to mix loud? I 'master' my stuff myself so I'm trying to get things to be as loud as they should.

I record on tape (8-track) and then bounce to computer.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:37 am

Compression adds harmonic distortion. EQ a bit of the mess out and you should be good.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:47 am

don't try and master your stuff while you're mixing. just mix them to sound good and then worry about the mastering end of it.

Z-Plane
pushin' record

Post by Z-Plane » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:59 am

Not trying to be a smartass, just going through the basics - loud things need space to be loud, and also need to be surrounded by quiet things. How many things are you trying to have loud at once ? How many quiet things surround these ? Mastering is well past the stage of deciding what should be loud in a mix, you might just need more quiet things, and that can be achieved by panning and EQ as much as levels and compression. The more compression you apply, the more space you eat up, and you are relying on that space to allow the loud things to cut through.

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Post by Dakota » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:09 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:don't try and master your stuff while you're mixing. just mix them to sound good and then worry about the mastering end of it.
+1!

A good clear mix can be mastered up to loud. With a messy mix, mastering is about hiding the flaws.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:12 am

drumsound wrote:Compression adds harmonic distortion. EQ a bit of the mess out and you should be good.
Man, here's some completely incorrect information!

LazarusLong
steve albini likes it

Post by LazarusLong » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:27 am

drumsound wrote:Compression adds harmonic distortion. EQ a bit of the mess out and you should be good.
I've never heard this. I could see it creating momentary distortion at the moment that the gain reduction begins as there's a voltage (or modeled voltage) change over time... but something that warrants EQing?
The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And vice versa.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:33 am

LazarusLong wrote:
I've never heard this. I could see it creating momentary distortion at the moment that the gain reduction begins as there's a voltage (or modeled voltage) change over time... but something that warrants EQing?
It changes the waveform envelope (i.e. attack, decay, sustain, release), but not the contents of the complex wave.

Artifex
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Artifex » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:41 am

@?,*???&? wrote:
Man, here's some completely incorrect information!
Man, Jeff is so happy to have something to argue about in this thread!

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:46 am

@?,*???&? wrote:It changes the waveform envelope (i.e. attack, decay, sustain, release), but not the contents of the complex wave.
care to explain what exactly you mean by 'contents'?

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:05 pm

yeah, i could swear the contents of a wave include harmonic overtones.

i've also heard people occasionally use compressors to drive things almost to distortion, radically altering the balance of overtones in the original signal.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:27 pm

Artifex wrote:Man, Jeff is so happy to have something to argue about in this thread!
subatomic pieces wrote:In other interesting news: The sun rose in the East this morning.

suppositron
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by suppositron » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:39 pm

thethingwiththestuff wrote:yeah, i could swear the contents of a wave include harmonic overtones.

i've also heard people occasionally use compressors to drive things almost to distortion, radically altering the balance of overtones in the original signal.
Right. Especially when the attack and release times are too short.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:52 pm

thethingwiththestuff wrote:yeah, i could swear the contents of a wave include harmonic overtones.

Complex waves have many components. Frequencies of a sound are related to pitch, timbre, overtones and related harmonic series. The waverform envelope would contain all of these things independent of the amount of compression.

The statement above said that 'compression adds harmonic distortion' which simply isn't the case, but it will change the waveform envelope.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:28 pm

@?,*???&? wrote:

Complex waves have many components. Frequencies of a sound are related to pitch, timbre, overtones and related harmonic series. The waverform envelope would contain all of these things independent of the amount of compression.

The statement above said that 'compression adds harmonic distortion' which simply isn't the case, but it will change the waveform envelope.
Would you prefer "can" add distortion?

Either way, split all the hairs and spout all the "I know more than you" statements you like.
Last edited by drumsound on Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.