Hanging drywall from hat channel on the ceiling

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

john1056
alignin' 24-trk

Hanging drywall from hat channel on the ceiling

Post by john1056 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:07 am

I'm about to hang my first sheet of 1/2 inch drywall on the ceiling against 25 gauge hat channel held in place with Green Glue company whisper clips (held in with 2 1/2 inch drywall screws). The channels are 24 inches apart on center, and I'll be using regular drywall screws, fine threaded 1 1/4 inch for the first layer, 2 inch for the second (Green Glue in between). Hope this is correct so far :)

My question is, what is the recommended screw spacing for this sort of setup? Its very different from 16 inch on center in walls, which is the only thing I have prior experience with.

Thanks,
John

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:18 am

12" on center.

then stagger that for your next layer. If you're putting another layer over the 1/2" rock... you could get away with 16" oc for the 1/2" and then use the 12" oc pattern for the outer rock.

With double layers, and all those screws, you could probably get away with minimal screwing on your first layer... even 24" oc and then a 12"oc or 16"oc for the outer layer.

Your ceiling assembly is almost impossible to tear apart. It'll hold forever. and it really does work like a champ. Those gg clips are really amazing.... and strong.

just be very methodical in your layout, and mark your screw patterns as you go to avoid any screws going into your joists, and you'll be golden.

good luck!

john1056
alignin' 24-trk

Post by john1056 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:34 am

Norton,

Thanks once again for all the great info! That's a great tip on the joists. I'll be sure to mark the walls where the joists are so its clear once the first layer is up where they are.

I've been very happy with at the Green Glue stuff I've used. I chose the whisper clips based on the ease of using Green Glue, and their acoustic caulk. I wish hanging drywall was as easy as installing the hat channel :)

John

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:26 am

indeed! those drywall lifts are extremely handy, and will allow you to make very tight fits. definitely worth the $30 or so bucks.

Ted White
ass engineer

Post by Ted White » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:49 am

Good advice Norton.
Soundproofing Company

millzners
ass engineer

Post by millzners » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:07 am

Are you staggering the drywall seams so that two seams aren't right on top of each other? And are you mudding at all to seal the first drywall layer up? Just wondering for the next time I'm doing a basement studio...

Ted White
ass engineer

Post by Ted White » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:13 am

You would want to have the layers sealed, but no need to mud and tape the first layer.

Staggering seams is a big plus
Soundproofing Company