DIY condenser mic

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

the saucemaster
audio school

DIY condenser mic

Post by the saucemaster » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:42 am

Hi! I'm looking for a good place the procure kits, parts, instructions for a high quality diy condenser mic project. any ideas? thanks for your help!

-sauce

the saucemaster
audio school

Post by the saucemaster » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:48 pm

hi self....so far i found a good link originally from tape op issue #16 it even has proper links to digikey! http://www.creativitytospare.com/?p=16 but i'm still looking for a diy large diaphram mic kit/instructions so if any y'all have some ideas, your help would be greatly appreciated! :D

Scodiddly
speech impediment

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:07 am

I don't think anybody currently offers a LDC kit. PAIA has a sort of stereo condensor mic kit, and there are plenty of designs out there if you're willing to do some of the work sourcing parts.

You might check out the "micbuilders" group on Yahoo Groups - lots of cool stuff there.

the saucemaster
audio school

more diy microphone info and questions

Post by the saucemaster » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:25 am

Wow, I just checked out your profile and realized that I spent quite a while admiring the diy microphones on your website last night :D nice work, parts, schematics, build pictures, and chainmail too!

I'll check the recommended mic builders message board, Thanks!

Has anyone tested the aurycle microphones? a DIY multi pattern with roll-off is exactly what i'm looking for.

http://www.aurycle.com/index.html

-s

mrdibs
gettin' sounds

Re: more diy microphone info and questions

Post by mrdibs » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:56 pm

the saucemaster wrote:Has anyone tested the aurycle microphones? a DIY multi pattern with roll-off is exactly what i'm looking for.

http://www.aurycle.com/index.html

-s
Thats an Apex 460 in pieces. Why exactly do you want to DIY a mic? Experience or are you trying to get one over on the man?

the saucemaster
audio school

serious cave time, another link

Post by the saucemaster » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:22 am

probably the same reason you DIY'd an LA-2A 8)

I guess another interesting approach would be mods like this: http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/A ... ronics/460

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:35 am

I hope you're just gettin one over on da man.
Harumph!

Scodiddly
speech impediment

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:24 am

Response C might be "to learn something". 8)

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:01 pm

I'd like to make a condenser mic someday... I don't mean just put one together, like the tape op omnis, but really make one... the capsule and all.

Scodiddly
speech impediment

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:27 pm

Actually I've been thinking about doing another run of Alice kits, if there's interest. I went to a fair bit of trouble to replenish all the oddball parts, make a couple new jigs to cut circuit boards &etc over the winter.

The Scum
mixes from purgatory

Post by The Scum » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:23 am

but really make one... the capsule and all.
I know where there's a Bridgeport mill in a storage unit.

Not sure if it's got a rotary table, tho...

CurtZHP
re-cappin' neve

Post by CurtZHP » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:51 pm

Scodiddly wrote:Actually I've been thinking about doing another run of Alice kits, if there's interest. I went to a fair bit of trouble to replenish all the oddball parts, make a couple new jigs to cut circuit boards &etc over the winter.

Funny you should say that. I've been kicking around building a pair of them. But I'd be making them from scratch.
"TEMPUS FUGIT" the Novel -- Now Available!!
http://www.curtyengst.com

the saucemaster
audio school

scodiddly's site

Post by the saucemaster » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:35 pm

Hey,

(For people passing through) I wanted to add that scott/scodiddly's site has a very detailed series of photos documenting the build of his alice microphone on the FAQ link. I didn't catch that the first time through.

Awesome. That kind of tenacity really makes DIY accessible and a lot of fun.

LesW
audio school

Post by LesW » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:17 am

Long time lurker.

Scott has done some great work with the Alice mics for sure.

FYI, I am tooling up a DIY condenser microphone. It is however a small diaphragm pencil microphone. I've spent a good bit of time and money on the project, and I hope it sells well.

We all can go to guitar center and buy $39 condensers to mod or just use. I can't make a kit for that price, but I hope to have some product differentiation for those who like to build kits. I'm trying to do the following:

1) hand selected/measured components
2) very low noise
3) no hyped fizzy high end.
4) durable

Just to be different, it does not use the ubiquitous Schoeps circuit.

Right now I'm voicing some prototypes and setting up machining for the case. That is turning out to be very expensive.

Since I'm still in the design phase, i'd love to hear what folks would like to see in such a product. Rainy day here, so I thought I'd work this morning
on the attenuator design. You know, if I used a separate supply rather than "feeble phantom" for power I wouldn't even need attenuation.
Les
L M Watts Technology

Scodiddly
speech impediment

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:32 am

LesW wrote:Long time lurker.

Scott has done some great work with the Alice mics for sure.

FYI, I am tooling up a DIY condenser microphone. It is however a small diaphragm pencil microphone. I've spent a good bit of time and money on the project, and I hope it sells well.

We all can go to guitar center and buy $39 condensers to mod or just use. I can't make a kit for that price, but I hope to have some product differentiation for those who like to build kits. I'm trying to do the following:

1) hand selected/measured components
2) very low noise
3) no hyped fizzy high end.
4) durable

Just to be different, it does not use the ubiquitous Schoeps circuit.

Right now I'm voicing some prototypes and setting up machining for the case. That is turning out to be very expensive.

Since I'm still in the design phase, i'd love to hear what folks would like to see in such a product. Rainy day here, so I thought I'd work this morning
on the attenuator design. You know, if I used a separate supply rather than "feeble phantom" for power I wouldn't even need attenuation.
Hey Les, welcome to TapeOp!

Are you doing anything different with the capsules? Those Transsounds capsules are pretty hard to beat on quality and value.