pro tools users: sorry

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

david whitcomb
studio intern

pro tools users: sorry

Post by david whitcomb » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:46 pm

god love ya. its really not your fault, but if you want to be compatible with PROFESSIONAL software like DP, logic, final cut and avid, you'll need to shell out an additional 500 bucks for digitranslator (or start demanding a better product for your money).
sdrc

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: pro tools users: sorry

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:55 pm

david whitcomb wrote:god love ya. its really not your fault, but if you want to be compatible with PROFESSIONAL software like DP, logic, final cut and avid, you'll need to shell out an additional 500 bucks for digitranslator (or start demanding a better product for your money).
:lol:

1.- Define the qualifier "Professional" first. In a real world kinda way. Not in a "marketing mindwash" kinda way.

2.- Count how many gold and platinum records have been made by / edited with Pro Tools, and then count how many done with your other DAWs.

3.- Apologise to the Pro Tools users on here.

4.- I have Logic Pro 9.1( buggy little bastard ), have had friends who complain about DP, different versions, and Final Cut and Avid are for the movie editing, not audio per se... so don't count, as they are not only for audio, like Pro Tools is.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:00 pm

david whitcomb wrote:god love ya. its really not your fault, but if you want to be compatible with PROFESSIONAL software like DP, logic, final cut and avid, you'll need to shell out an additional 500 bucks for digitranslator (or start demanding a better product for your money).
Edit:

I use ProTools in conjunction with Avid and Final Cut, pretty frequently, without DigiTranslator, and without issues.

Of course, that's just my experience. Yours may vary. Please, continue with your clich? ProTools-bashing. :wink:
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:35 pm

Just zero your tracks out for achiving
and compatability between software platforms and save the $500. Bounce through any plugins that you absolutely need.

And remember that your front end is the most important thing.O
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:36 pm

ipressrecord wrote:Just zero your tracks out for achiving
and compatability between software platforms and save the $500. Bounce through any plugins that you absolutely need.

And remember that your front end is the most important thing.O
Always protect your Front End. But do not forget about your back end either...

Mr PC
buyin' gear

Post by Mr PC » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:36 pm

Asinine. I don't care what DAW anyone uses, whatever gets you through the night...

The DAW is just a tool, and only part of the recording process.

Pro Tools recorded music, in professional studios, accounts for such a ridiculously huge percentage of all things produced, and hits, etc.

Surely Pro Tools dwarfs all other DAWs combined in the pro end of the industry.

The reason Pro Tools doesn't so easily translate to other DAWs is similar to why so many english speakers don't tend to learn other languages. When you are the standard, others adapt to you. I don't mean anything by this, but to make a comparison.

Who knows how things will suss out as time goes on, but Pro Tools is the standard in professional recording.

PC
I don't know karate but I know ka-razy!

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:34 am

It's been that way for quite some time. You must be new.

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:51 am

dwlb wrote:
Edit:

I use ProTools in conjunction with Avid and Final Cut, pretty frequently, without DigiTranslator, and without issues.

Of course, that's just my experience. Yours may vary. Please, continue with your clich? ProTools-bashing. :wink:
PROTOOL SUCKS!
Sorry,

That just slipped out.
I ordered a Mac I5, Presonus Lightbridge, Logic, Finalcut, aaaaaaannnndd:

The Imac, Logic and Finalcut all worked with each other and the firewire interface didn't work at all, rendering the whole system useless.

Despite all the learning curve moaning, I had zero learning curve going from PT to Logic.

Too bad nothing works now.
Harumph!

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:22 am

Brian wrote: PROTOOL SUCKS!
Sorry,

That just slipped out.
I ordered a Mac I5, Presonus Lightbridge, Logic, Finalcut, aaaaaaannnndd:
The Imac, Logic and Finalcut all worked with each other and the firewire interface didn't work at all, rendering the whole system useless.
Despite all the learning curve moaning, I had zero learning curve going from PT to Logic.
Too bad nothing works now.
"Presonus Lightbridge" is this a Digidesign-approved audio interface? Just because the audio interface does not work, is not Digidesigns' fault. I'd blame PRESONUS.

That's like saying that Lamborghinis suck because KIAs cost less. Ridiculous, and not related at all.

You usually have to have one of their approved interfaces for Pro Tools to work. That is how it is.

I chalk it up to not doing your homework, and not to "PT sucks"...

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:53 am

Digitranslator? Why? We record .wav files. Sessions are meaningless, the audio master tracks are what matters. The session is merely the console- do you want to use the SAME console the Pro Tools people used?

Define your own terrain. You make things too complicated when you ask for Digitranslator. Can't come up with a balance on your own? Why should I give you my 'copyrighted' mix as a starting point?

I could go on. Work with Master tracks and focus on *Master* tracks and you'll get over this. Trust me.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:36 pm

This is a boring and useless thread. Can't we talk about something good like "what's the best ____ for under $____?"

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:11 pm

junkshop wrote:This is a boring and useless thread. Can't we talk about something good like "what's the best ____ for under $____?"
What's the best acoustic 12 string for under 1,500 USD ?

There you go, straightened up this post right away, you did...

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:18 pm

Nah, just let Albini record it.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:23 am

Here's something that's always struck me as odd: would Digi's market share really decrease if Translator was included for free? I really don't think session incompatibility is the aspect that keeps PT at the top of the heap.
Prog out with your cog out.

jnTracks
steve albini likes it

Post by jnTracks » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:23 am

i'm sorry, was the poster feeling threatened by protools and lashed out like a cornered dog? that's the only point i can think of.

noeqplease answered it perfectly anyway.

and if your product sounds good who cares how you made it? if the good sound isn't there, it's probably not the fault of your DAW choice...
are we agreeing here? ok, my brain is done exploding. on to useful discussions. :)
-Justin Newton
railroadavenuerecording.com what i like to do