SQUARE STATE SOLID STATE EQ

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

DanielJSchlett
audio school graduate

SQUARE STATE SOLID STATE EQ

Post by DanielJSchlett » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:08 pm

Hello, recently at Strange Weather we received a new eq to test out called the Model 1b by Square State Solid State. Its a 3 band inductive coil eq with very wide bands for some very smooth shaping.

My experiences so far with it have been very pleasant, i didn't freak out over it the first time i heard it, but it totally grew on me with each use.. its found most use on drums for me... but also made a few appearances on some guitar tracks, bass and piano. We have a lot of killer eqs at Strange Weather and a lot of inductive coils at that, (pultec, cinema eng., purple, auditronics,) so we had a lot to really compare it to, and a lot for the Model 1b to stand up against.

I've really begin to fall in love with it on snare drum i love pultecs on snare but... i love pultecs on a lot of stuff so sometimes the snare just doesn't get one... with the Model1b just begin able to push the highs and it continue to sound really open, and really get that crack of the snare, and dial in great low punch as well. The Model 1b definitely can be pushed too far but still has a lot of room for great sounds... and Im sure that some of those settings can be useful on other source material. For vocals i really liked it but had a hard time beating out an EQP1a, which is my go to vocal eq, however at a fraction of the price id say it sounded damn fine. For its price point (dont quote me but I heard somewhere around $500 list) its by far one of the best eqs ive ever used. I know I'm comparing a lot to the pultecs, but it reminded me of one so my closest choices were always between them, however up until a year or so ago, i was using all gear around this price point: Chameleon labs, Joe Meek, Orban, ART, RNC sound craft ghost and for people who are rocking that stuff and need a great eq this is it. Totally put me in the ball park of some classic sounding eqs. i would have really loved a pair to hear them on stereo drum overheads and piano.

anyone else use these things yet? anyone find any good uses for theirs? anyone have any questions about it?

Here is a link to their site with more info on specs and stuff...

http://squarestatesolidstate.com/products.html