Credits on Liner Notes?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Credits on Liner Notes?

Post by bannerj » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:43 am

I guess I'll put this question here because I'm always looking to read who worked on a record to follow their careers and learn from them as i listen. One of the main reasons why I don't download music is because I love liner notes.

So, why are most discs these days not mentioning who worked on their records? I really want to know who is tracking, mixing and mastering. I really do.

Waltz Mastering
steve albini likes it

Post by Waltz Mastering » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:53 am

Most commercially released albums do have credits...maybe some indy stuff doesn't. (but they should)

There's this:
http://albumcredits.com/
..and allmusic.com

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Post by bannerj » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:00 am

Yeah, I guess its the stuff I'm listening to...Animal Collective? My Brightest Diamond's box set of remixes.... etc etc.

Thanks for the link.

So, does this mean that my favorite independent bands are just too cool for school?

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Post by bannerj » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:02 am

Yep, neither of those two albums I mentioned have the ME info.

Waltz Mastering
steve albini likes it

Post by Waltz Mastering » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:14 am

Joe Lambert does some of the "Animal Collective" stuff, not sure about that one.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:16 pm

Waltz Mastering wrote:Most commercially released albums do have credits...maybe some indy stuff doesn't. (but they should)

There's this:
..and allmusic.com
Thanks for this. Found out that another Jeff White was credited for a record that I co-recorded, co-mixed, and co-produced in 2007.

Now to figure out how to get this corrected.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:30 pm

Not only that, but I wanna see more recording notes-type stuff.

Pete Anderson, for example, lists his guitars and amps on at least one CD ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:09 pm

Yeah I hate when there aren't liner notes. And recording notes, that's like candy. It's a perfect meeting of the two things I spend my most time with - recording and graphic design. Liner notes are what made me want to start designing album artwork.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:11 pm

vvv wrote:Not only that, but I wanna see more recording notes-type stuff.

Pete Anderson, for example, lists his guitars and amps on at least one CD ...
Having worked on a number of Pete's projects with his ex-wife Judy Clapp, I'd be quite certain that Pete's guitars and amps were used- but he was nowhere near them. All his gear was 'house gear' at Mad Dog.

As for the liner note problem, indie bands doing indie productions have no idea how to put together liner notes. Usually it's producer working with band management and label on that. If one (or all) of those components is missing, it's gonna be chaos.

And we are living in the area of chaos when artists half-ass pretty much everything when working on their own.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:39 pm

@?,*???&? wrote:As for the liner note problem, indie bands doing indie productions have no idea how to put together liner notes.
@?,*???&? wrote:And we are living in the area of chaos when artists half-ass pretty much everything when working on their own.
I disagree with generalizations like this. A lot of people who tend to not care all that much about their productions have that issue, but I wouldn't say that's a characteristic of indie productions - many times indie productions involve a lot more care since people are doing things themselves. Yeah some people do things themselves for poor reasons (not wanting to pay people who should be doing their job) and they'll end up doing a poor job, leaving things out like this. But I think people who are on their game/talented will generally have an idea how to put together liner notes. When I'm doing album art for people I take the liner notes as part of my responsibility if it hasn't been done properly. Not that I'm on a pedestal, it's the same in any size production or any field really - the people who are responsible need to be responsible for it. And if we're talking about half-assing things, I can name more than a few big "huge productions" where the songwriting is completely half-assed. The majority of the reason I tend to not like most popular music is because of how completely lazily lyrics and songs are written. I do not believe the scale of the production is an accurate depiction of how much people do or do not know what they're doing. Yes, when more money or time is being spent, there is going to be a higher number of people who know what they're doing, but to write that rule to the extreme would be cutting off many AMAZING productions that people did themselves.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:18 pm

ipressrecord wrote:
Waltz Mastering wrote:Most commercially released albums do have credits...maybe some indy stuff doesn't. (but they should)

There's this:
..and allmusic.com
Thanks for this. Found out that another Jeff White was credited for a record that I co-recorded, co-mixed, and co-produced in 2007.

Now to figure out how to get this corrected.

Jeff
Good luck getting All Music to alter/change/correct anything.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:07 pm

drumsound wrote:Good luck getting All Music to alter/change/correct anything.
Amen to that.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC