Suggest please: low fatigue monitors

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:56 pm

I like my JBL LSR 4328's, they are self powered, and tune to your room with an included measurement microphone.

I work on them pretty much all day at low to medium levels, and do not get ear fatigue.

And they CAN get loud, if need be...

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

L-ROX
alignin' 24-trk

Post by L-ROX » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:20 am

noeqplease wrote:I work on them pretty much all day at low to medium levels, and do not get ear fatigue.

I think this is the key with any models you choose. I still mix with my 824s, just because I'm used to them and I've set them up in a way that works for me. Get yourself a cheap SPL meter and try to mix around 90dbSPL and take a break here and there and you should be alright.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:46 pm

L-ROX wrote:
noeqplease wrote:I work on them pretty much all day at low to medium levels, and do not get ear fatigue.

I think this is the key with any models you choose. I still mix with my 824s, just because I'm used to them and I've set them up in a way that works for me. Get yourself a cheap SPL meter and try to mix around 90dbSPL and take a break here and there and you should be alright.
90dB SPL... isn't this a little high? Most engineers I know, including Bob Katz, recommend listening at 82dB SPL, at the mix position, or even less, if possible, and to NEVER touch the volume knob, unless you intend to kill the A&R people when they come over. That is what it's there for.
"Set Volume to Kill, Mr. Spock"

And yes, mix for a couple of hours, then take a little 5-10 minute break, preferably outside, if it's quiet there. Helps keep things in perspective.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.