Tired of my Event 20/20bas???

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

theslumlord
takin' a dinner break

Tired of my Event 20/20bas???

Post by theslumlord » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:30 pm

Hey everybody.

I've been thinking of an upgrade/improvement over my Event 20/20bas.
I've had them for about 8 years now, but I'm wondering if I should upgrade to a better set of monitors. I've been looking at KRKs, Mackies, the Event ASP8, and other types. My budget is under $1000 for the pair (as far under it as I can get it :) )

I've "liked" my monitors, but never felt like they translated as well as I've wanted them too.

Is the grass going to be greener?

Syngriner
studio intern

Post by Syngriner » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:46 pm

It's always worthwhile having a look at the acoustics of your room first before giving into gear acquisition syndrome. There are notable engineers who still use the Event 20/20 bas monitors. Producer/engineer Ronan Chris Murphy still uses them and he could certainly get something newer and more expensive if he wanted. http://ronansrecordingshow.com/
I have a pair of the unpowered Event 20/20's that I run with a nice amp. I have bought several pairs of under $500.00 sets of powered monitors and have have come back to the 20/20's. I have had much better results improving my mixes by working on the acoustics of my room. Just something to think about.
"Politics is the entertainment branch of industry" - Frank Zappa

"Without deviation from the norm, 'progress' is not possible" - Frank Zappa

Front End Audio
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Front End Audio » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:33 am

After 8 years of use you should be very familiar with your monitors. Although it is always nice to have a different opinion! I am a big fan of the Tannoy Precision 8D I have used them on a couple of different projects and I have always been very pleased with the sound quality and they always translate very well to other systems. Do you have any preferences as to weather you want them to be active, passive, speaker size, tweeter type, etc?

Cheers,
Nicholas
www.FrontEndAudio.com
Your Ultimate Pro Audio Dealer