Why is the FMR RNLA less popular?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

lionaudio
steve albini likes it

Post by lionaudio » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:28 pm

I have 4 channels of RNC that I use for everything but bass and I spent 50 bucks on an Ashly sc50. This covers my outboard compression til I can buy a really nice stereo tube compressor. The sc50 has character and you CAN hear it working when you want it to. Get the rnc and something gritty

jaguarsg
pushin' record

Post by jaguarsg » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:48 pm

because it kinda sucks compared to other cheap "color" boxes.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:08 pm

jaguarsg wrote:because it kinda sucks compared to other cheap "color" boxes.
Interesting point of view! I haven't really heard that too often. What do you consider a good alternative(s) color box? (btw I hope that doesn't come off as a sarcastic "is that so", I'm definitely interested!).

sears
steve albini likes it

Post by sears » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:20 am

I think the RNLA is more useful during mixing though I use the RNC all the time while tracking. Until recently, when I got my patchbay and started mixing an album I'd have said I didn't have much use for it and now I use it way more.

I've used it on kick, voice and guitars especially. The way it cuts volume is much more like you're riding the fader than the RNC. I don't like it on bass.

I don't think of it as a "color box." It's all about the action of it.

jaguarsg
pushin' record

Post by jaguarsg » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:04 am

jgimbel wrote:Interesting point of view! I haven't really heard that too often. What do you consider a good alternative(s) color box? (btw I hope that doesn't come off as a sarcastic "is that so", I'm definitely interested!).
no problem. i'm sure i came off as an asshole, but i'm ok with that. i probably am one.

i REALLY like color; if i wanted clean, i'd use a plug. i'll sacrifice versatility for mojo any day, which may not be exactly what you are looking for if you only have an RNC.

nevertheless, cool & cheap colour boxes: old broadcast compressors (Gates/Harris SolidStatesmen, CBS Audimax/Volumax, Marti limiters, etc), Joe Meek VC series, ART Pro VLA i or II (with a tube change/recap), Symetrix 501s, Alesis Microlimiter, dbx 118/119, MXR DynaComp (yep, that one), Janglebox, homebrew stuff, etc.

do some homework, take a chance ...

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:36 am

jaguarsg wrote:
jgimbel wrote:Interesting point of view! I haven't really heard that too often. What do you consider a good alternative(s) color box? (btw I hope that doesn't come off as a sarcastic "is that so", I'm definitely interested!).
no problem. i'm sure i came off as an asshole, but i'm ok with that. i probably am one.

i REALLY like color; if i wanted clean, i'd use a plug. i'll sacrifice versatility for mojo any day, which may not be exactly what you are looking for if you only have an RNC.

nevertheless, cool & cheap colour boxes: old broadcast compressors (Gates/Harris SolidStatesmen, CBS Audimax/Volumax, Marti limiters, etc), Joe Meek VC series, ART Pro VLA i or II (with a tube change/recap), Symetrix 501s, Alesis Microlimiter, dbx 118/119, MXR DynaComp (yep, that one), Janglebox, homebrew stuff, etc.

do some homework, take a chance ...
yeah these are boxes I hear about pretty often. And don't worry, I've done too much homework if any - I tend to research things for months before I buy them, so I have the opposite problem, of needing to just pick something and go for it. I've got one plugin that does nice clean compression really well, and one that's a little more colored, and those two tend to be my most used plugins. I guess my thinking was just, if there's something I use on most every track somewhere (like clean compression, at some point) it would seem to make sense to do some of that before hitting the computer - why have a million instances of a plugin all over a track when I can just have it like that to begin with? I'm big on committing to a sound, though I'm also careful to make sure I'm really getting the sound I want, so that helps.

At the same time, if I have this plugin that does clean compression well, it also makes a lot of sense to get outboard compression that does something completely different. I need to shut the hell up and pick something.