Best Preamp for acoustic guitar in a live setting?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

umz
ass engineer

Best Preamp for acoustic guitar in a live setting?

Post by umz » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:37 pm

I have a nice acoustic and am looking for a good preamp to play with live. I'm thinking the M5. Thoughts?

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:14 am

That's serious overkill- the preamp costs more than many PA setups.

If you're looking for a DI, I've had great luck with the Ditto. Radial makes great DIs, and even Avalon has a cheaper option: the U5 is a great DI.

If you're looking for a true mic preamp, you've got plenty of options. Through a live PA, even an original Mackie 1202 sounds great.

What are you trying to accomplish besides maxing out a credit card?

Front End Audio
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Front End Audio » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:10 pm

Have you checked into the Taylor K4 it is a preamp/EQ that was designed in conjunction with Rupert Neve. I guess the question is are you mic'ing your guitar or using an internal pickup when you play live? Otherwise if you are looking for colored tone than the M5 would be a great choice. If you are looking for pristine clarity than check out the Grace m101.

Cheers,
Nicholas
www.FrontEndAudio.com
Your Ultimate Pro Audio Dealer

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:30 pm

The Pendulum is the only guitar DI setup I've ever heard that I ever thought sounded good. Boy does it sound good, though!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:09 pm

Do want to plug the pick up through it, or are you using a microphone?

the Baggs Para DI is very popular because of the great EQ section.

Radial has great stuff for guitar.
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

umz
ass engineer

Post by umz » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:39 pm

Front End Audio wrote:Have you checked into the Taylor K4 it is a preamp/EQ that was designed in conjunction with Rupert Neve. I guess the question is are you mic'ing your guitar or using an internal pickup when you play live? Otherwise if you are looking for colored tone than the M5 would be a great choice. If you are looking for pristine clarity than check out the Grace m101.

Cheers,
Nicholas
I'd be using a pickup.

Chris_Meck
pushin' record

Post by Chris_Meck » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:32 am

honestly, I'd just get a good d.i. and not worry about it. In a live setting, it's not going to make that much difference with a pick-up. We've been using the Baggs Para D.I. for years and are pretty happy with it. Sometimes, however, the need for phantom power has been an issue (they'll work with a 9v but don't sound as good) as some clubs have not-very-well-maintained cables and consoles.

If I had it to do over again, I'd probably get the Radial Jensen equipped D.I. and forgo the onboard EQ. But either way, I think you'd be in good shape.

I just don't think adding a really nice preamp is going to make THAT much difference with a pick-up signal in a whatever converted room with whatever p.a. and who knows how qualified an engineer.

Chris
greetings from Flyover Country...

williamsongs
alignin' 24-trk

Post by williamsongs » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:28 am

I can weigh in on the Pendulum and LR Baggs preamps. I have owned the Pendulum SPS-1 since picking it up from the manufacturer's house in 1995. It has been in trunks of cars, airports and kicked around stages constantly since that time, and is in exactly the same functional condition as it was the day I bought it. The most reliable thing I've ever taken on the road. Always does what it should.

The Pendulum was my choice for solo fingerstyle guitar performance, and is definitely overkill if the acoustic guitar is not a crucial texture in the performance. The Baggs para-eq thing was just fine for plugging in a generic pickup, notching out the worst feedback and boom-there you go. For getting a basic, "yup, that's an acoustic guitar" type of sound live.

If you're serious about the accuracy of the instrument's sound being presented live, and/or have any microphone elements involved, you would do well to go with the Pendulum, it really saves the day when going around to drastically different rooms trying to present a consistent acoustic instrument sound through different PA systems in different places.

I have no idea what the M5 you refer to is, but there used to be a Rane unit similar to the Pendulum back in the day. Admittedly, these are a cumbersome way to go, not something you shove in the case and tear off to the gig with, but it solves so many problems if the acoustic guitar really is "your sound"

Sorry for the long winded answer.

umz
ass engineer

Post by umz » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:29 pm

williamsongs wrote:I can weigh in on the Pendulum and LR Baggs preamps. I have owned the Pendulum SPS-1 since picking it up from the manufacturer's house in 1995. It has been in trunks of cars, airports and kicked around stages constantly since that time, and is in exactly the same functional condition as it was the day I bought it. The most reliable thing I've ever taken on the road. Always does what it should.

The Pendulum was my choice for solo fingerstyle guitar performance, and is definitely overkill if the acoustic guitar is not a crucial texture in the performance. The Baggs para-eq thing was just fine for plugging in a generic pickup, notching out the worst feedback and boom-there you go. For getting a basic, "yup, that's an acoustic guitar" type of sound live.

If you're serious about the accuracy of the instrument's sound being presented live, and/or have any microphone elements involved, you would do well to go with the Pendulum, it really saves the day when going around to drastically different rooms trying to present a consistent acoustic instrument sound through different PA systems in different places.

I have no idea what the M5 you refer to is, but there used to be a Rane unit similar to the Pendulum back in the day. Admittedly, these are a cumbersome way to go, not something you shove in the case and tear off to the gig with, but it solves so many problems if the acoustic guitar really is "your sound"

Sorry for the long winded answer.
I was referring to a Avalon M5 Preamp. Thanks for the info, I'll check out the Pendulum.