Using An Old Ampeg Tube Head as DI?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

schaf
audio school graduate

Using An Old Ampeg Tube Head as DI?

Post by schaf » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:06 pm

I just picked up an Ampeg V-4B head and would like to use it as a DI for my bass. I briefly tried this (plugged the External Amp output into the line input of my interface) and was very happy with the sound, however:

I am concerned that running the amp without anything connected to the speaker output (no power amp load) may be bad for the tubes and/or electronics in the amp.

The output impedance of the "External Amp" output, 10K Ohms, is the same as the impedance of the line input on my recording interface, and the output levels appear to be in a safe range, as long as I keep the volume knob at a reasonable level.

Is there any problem with only running signal out of the "External Amp" output and not the Speaker Outputs?

Thanks!

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:21 pm

You really need a load connected to the speaker output. A dummy speaker load would work.

You could try pulling the power tubes if you're just using the line out, but that may throw off the internal voltages a bit by not having their load in the circuit.

biasvoltage
steve albini likes it

Post by biasvoltage » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:45 pm

That is a good sound, isn't it? But you really need a dummy load.

Operating a tube amplifier without a load attached will cause the output transformer to overheat, short out, and melt. This is one reason to never loan a tube amp to anybody. I found that out the hard way with my 68 bandmaster.

Pulling the output tubes will damage the power transformer. The tubes are part of a circuit, you can't pull those out without causing an imbalance elsewhere in the system.

Get a dummy load! It's the only safe way to do this. I found a 4 ohm metal cased 250w power resistor at a surplus place and used that with an Ampeg V4 for years with no problems. Plus, it looks like the flux capacitor from back to the future, always good to have intimidating stuff like that around the studio.

IF you have the bucks, a VHT hotplate, or a powersoak from Weber or an old Marshall Power Brake is the classy way to go.

schaf
audio school graduate

Post by schaf » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:09 pm

Thanks guys! That's what I suspected.

I've got my eyes on this kit:

https://taweber.powweb.com/store/kits_w ... m#loadline

Thoughts on that?

If I did decide to built it from scratch, do I just solder the output of the power resistor(s) to the enclosure? Or would it be better the wire them to the sleeve of the jack?

Mudcloth
steve albini likes it

Post by Mudcloth » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:38 am

schaf wrote:Thanks guys! That's what I suspected.

I've got my eyes on this kit:

https://taweber.powweb.com/store/kits_w ... m#loadline

Thoughts on that?

If I did decide to built it from scratch, do I just solder the output of the power resistor(s) to the enclosure? Or would it be better the wire them to the sleeve of the jack?
I love Weber stuff. That being said, you could buy a 100 watt wirewound resistor from Mouser for about 12 bucks. Their shipping is a little pricey so I usually load up on whatever other parts I can think of needing until the shipping cost starts to rise in my shopping cart.
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Arc ... NyDR0LQ%3d
Matt Giles
Austin, Tx

http://www.mattguitargiles.com
http://www.myspace.com/mattguitargiles
http://www.thedrakesband.com/

How much is a stamp? I'll buy the goddamn stamp.

schaf
audio school graduate

Post by schaf » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:46 pm

Amazing...I just walked down the street to Austin Amplifier (literally a five minute walk from my house) to ask someone there about dummy loads, and none other than Mudcloth himself was there.

"I need a dummy load so I can use my old tube amp as a DI."

"Is it an Ampeg V-4B?"

"Yeah!"

"You're the guy from Tape Op!"

Small world. Matt has an extra power resistor he's going to sell me so I can rig up a basic dummy load...I'll probably still build the Weber box eventually but this will work for the time being. Those guys are really cool, and super knowledgeable and passionate about vintage amps.

Producer/Engineer
takin' a dinner break

Post by Producer/Engineer » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:08 pm

schaf wrote:Amazing...I just walked down the street to Austin Amplifier (literally a five minute walk from my house) to ask someone there about dummy loads, and none other than Mudcloth himself was there.

"I need a dummy load so I can use my old tube amp as a DI."

"Is it an Ampeg V-4B?"

"Yeah!"

"You're the guy from Tape Op!"

Small world. Matt has an extra power resistor he's going to sell me so I can rig up a basic dummy load...I'll probably still build the Weber box eventually but this will work for the time being. Those guys are really cool, and super knowledgeable and passionate about vintage amps.
That's the coolest thing I've heard in weeks. Ya made me smile! 8)

AstroSounds
alignin' 24-trk

Post by AstroSounds » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:24 am

Oh man! I had one of those heads for a while. Delicious, delicious sound but I needed a live rig amp and that thing just didn't have enough headroom to compete with our loud-as-hell drummer. Wish I had kept it for the studio though.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:53 pm

Awesome story indeed.

Yeah, V4-Bs are fantastic. I don't know why some people hate on them so hard. When you need powerful muck it's the best amp in the universe.

ashcat_lt
tinnitus

Post by ashcat_lt » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:44 pm

An old toaster would work for this. Other ways to do it include incandescent light bulbs and AC motors (like, say, a fan).

I guess it's a bit late, but thought I'd just throw it out there for others who might be wanting to do something like this.

Scodiddly

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:58 pm

ashcat_lt wrote:An old toaster would work for this. Other ways to do it include incandescent light bulbs and AC motors (like, say, a fan).

I guess it's a bit late, but thought I'd just throw it out there for others who might be wanting to do something like this.
Unless you have a really high-wattage bulb, it's not going to be in the necessary range for a tube amp.

There are apparently 24-ohm electric water heater elements you can buy at Home Despot and such. Put 3 of those in parallel and you've got 8 ohms. Hang them in a bucket of water and you're good for a few thousand watts disspation. :)

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:43 pm

Another idea is to hook it up to one or more speakers. The bonus is you can point a microphone at them and get a good sound that way.

Scodiddly

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:23 pm

tarblackvomit wrote:Another idea is to hook it up to one or more speakers. The bonus is you can point a microphone at them and get a good sound that way.
Oh yeah, right, put a mic on it. That's crazy talk, dude. :roll: :lol:

schaf
audio school graduate

Post by schaf » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:25 pm

Thought I'd post an update...

Matt hooked up the power resistor and it works great. Thanks Matt!

And yeah, I'm definitely going to experiment with micing up the cab as well. I really like the way it sounds in a good room...but it's nice to have both options, especially in less-than-ideal situations.