Normalize tracks? Software?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Normalize tracks? Software?

Post by bannerj » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:15 pm

Long story that I won't bore anyone with, my point is that I'm in a situation where I need to do a basic mastering job myself before i pass around my mixes. And this is the first time that I really need to have a really consistent volume to each song. I'm basically trying to get some feedback from some people before I do final tweaks and send this stuff out to be mastered by a pro, and I want to impress these people because they might be able to help me get some distribution....I don't want them to have to futz about with the volume knob.

So, I don't trust my normal method of finding peaks in Digital Performer and just adding dBs to the master fader. I want something more reliable. So, I've been looking into these programs like DSP Quattro and Peak and whatnot. I have access to Wave Burner at work, but I'm a bit intimidated about the learning curve in Logic and getting bogged down with that. I can get the 50% cross platform upgrade for the school on DSP Quattro, so for $100 that seems like money well spent.

Any recommendations?

CedarSound
pushin' record

Post by CedarSound » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:31 pm

I've never been a big fan or normalization... It seems like it unnaturally compresses everything to my ears, but maybe I just haven't done it right.

In a similar pinch, I once used the "Meta Normalizer" function in Wavelab, and it seemed to do a pretty decent job getting the volumes consistent across the tracks for the most part. I used the RMS normalization, not the peak normalization.

I suppose if I were in your shoes I might try running each track through something like a Waves L2 plugin, limiting the tracks (carefully) to a similar volume. Might be helpful if you have to get it done quickly.

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Post by bannerj » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:25 pm

Shit shit...! I've tried to stay the hell away from the L2 just because some people get a bit crazy with it. I've always left this stuff for the ME, but this is a big project and I've got a handful of people who I want to hear it before sending it out to the pro ME.

Well, when its all done I may just try to boost the signal through my console to something like -4 and let them use the volume knob.

kingtoad
pushin' record

Post by kingtoad » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:53 pm

Just put a decent peak limiter on it and set it to take off a DB or so on the loudest section of each song. L2 would be fine. I like Voxengo Elephant myself. Unloess it's really, really dynamic music you really aren't going to hurt your mixes by doing this and it will be more consistent than normalizing.

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:16 pm

Line up all the mixed songs in a daw, one right after the other.

Find the song the SOUNDS the quietest and turn that one (using volume handles, so you are only turning that song up) until it peaks just below 0dbfs.

Turn the others up or down to match the volume of the first one. The meters in the DAW are useless for matching volume because they only register peak level, which does not translate to how loud something sounds. You will need to use your ears as you jump from song to song adjusting each one until they are all in the same ballpark.

Then, if you think the CD will need more overall volume, put an L2 on the output buss and let it shave off a few db whil it brings the volume up.

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Post by bannerj » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:50 pm

thanks guys. I have a pretty good limiter in my Metric Halo DSP that I've been trying to do this with. I'm just getting impatient and I worry too much about imparting some junk by working the limiter too much.

I'll give it another try.

PEACE

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:20 pm

For quick and dirty, shoot for similar RMS levels, peak levels, and listen to the ends & beginnings of the tracks in order as you mebbe don't want a singer-songwriter ditty quite as loud as your raging death-metal stomper.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Waltz Mastering
steve albini likes it

Post by Waltz Mastering » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:20 am

Once you adjust or tighten up each song to have tonal balance within itself, it is easier to have balance from song to song.

I would not consider normalization.

Meters might help a little, but I wouldn't rely on them to much either.

Try listening for key things like the lead vocal, snare, low end, mids etc.

CedarSound
pushin' record

Post by CedarSound » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:08 am

Shit shit...! I've tried to stay the hell away from the L2 just because some people get a bit crazy with it.
Yeah, that's the reason I said 'something like a' Waves L2.... I have never been a huge fan of that plug myself. To my ears, it can do something kinda nasty to the sound when pushed, though I think it can work in moderation. And yeah, I have heard people abuse it on every mix and it makes things sound really harsh....ugh. "It's one louder, innit?"

I know a mastering engineer who uses the hardware version all the time and loves what it does, but I'd bet that's probably a different league all together.

iC
pushin' record

Post by iC » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:11 am

i like this metering plug....
http://www.kvraudio.com/get/3714.html

gives a bunch of good info and when used in conjunction with your ears and limiter of choice, makes level matching much easier.
"There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly."
R. Buckminster Fuller

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:24 pm

CedarSound wrote:I've never been a big fan or normalization... It seems like it unnaturally compresses everything to my ears, but maybe I just haven't done it right.
impossible. normalization is merely a "dumb" maximization of volume to just below 0dBFS. it should not alter the waveform in any way.

bannerj
re-cappin' neve

Post by bannerj » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:07 am

thethingwiththestuff wrote:
CedarSound wrote:I've never been a big fan or normalization... It seems like it unnaturally compresses everything to my ears, but maybe I just haven't done it right.
impossible. normalization is merely a "dumb" maximization of volume to just below 0dBFS. it should not alter the waveform in any way.
See...this is what I was thinking. What is the difference between normalization and just pushing your faders up? Why are some of you anti-normalization?

Waltz Mastering
steve albini likes it

Post by Waltz Mastering » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:25 am

bannerj wrote:
See...this is what I was thinking. What is the difference between normalization and just pushing your faders up? Why are some of you anti-normalization?
10 Myths About Normalization
http://www.hometracked.com/2008/04/20/1 ... alization/

CedarSound
pushin' record

Post by CedarSound » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:38 am

It seems like it unnaturally compresses everything to my ears
impossible.
Jeez..you're right... stupid personal perception.... :roll:

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:39 am

Did you read the rest of his post? Apparently, Wavelab has a function that does "RMS Normalization" in addition to the "peak normalization" that we're all familiar with.

I imagine that it's not impossible that this "RMS Normalization" would alter the waveform. Seems like it would probably use compression or limiting to achieve "RMS normalization".