NAME YOUR SWISS ARMY MIC(S)!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:17 pm

I'm a live guy, but...

My Alice/Audrey mics, of course. Anything acoustic
CAD E-100, the originals. These were turning up on eBay lately with stupid low prices (averaged about $110, I now own six!)
Oktava MK-012
AKG C535 - violin family, sax if I don't have enough 441 (which is most of the time).

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:35 pm

Ryan Silva wrote:I going to have to say: AKG 414 buls, Shure KSM 141

Oh, by the way I was wondering if you guys mind if I stop typing "Shure" in front of KSM141?
"Shure"

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:10 pm

ott0bot wrote:
"Shure"
:lol:

Seriously, I can die now.

Awesome.
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Post by Burnt Ernie » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:37 pm

Beyer:
m201-top snare,gtr,perc.
M88-kick,Vox,Bright elec gtr
M69-Bright elec gtr,bright lead vox
m160 (2)-David Bowie,drum room,lead vox(bright),hat,elec gtr,ac gtr,perc
I am the Walnut

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:55 pm

Scodiddly wrote:I'm a live guy, but...

My Alice/Audrey mics, of course. Anything acoustic
CAD E-100, the originals. These were turning up on eBay lately with stupid low prices (averaged about $110, I now own six!)
Oktava MK-012
AKG C535 - violin family, sax if I don't have enough 441 (which is most of the time).
totally on the original e100. I've got two working and a dead one I still can't/won't get rid of, hoping someday i can figure out whats wrong with it. Bought my first one 8 years ago or so.. gets used on something almost every time.

f'ing rules on bass cab.

do the reissues do the same?

Scodiddly

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:38 am

trodden wrote: totally on the original e100. I've got two working and a dead one I still can't/won't get rid of, hoping someday i can figure out whats wrong with it. Bought my first one 8 years ago or so.. gets used on something almost every time.

f'ing rules on bass cab.

The E100^2 is a good bit brighter. It's really not the same mic, it's voiced more like a typical Chinese condensor but with decent enough electronics. I got a real deal on a used one, but it's now on semi-permanent loan to a friend.

kinger
steve albini likes it

Post by kinger » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:38 am

Burnt Ernie wrote:Beyer:
m201-top snare,gtr,perc.
M88-kick,Vox,Bright elec gtr
M69-Bright elec gtr,bright lead vox
m160 (2)-David Bowie,drum room,lead vox(bright),hat,elec gtr,ac gtr,perc
That's a good tip; I always have trouble deciding what mic to use on David Bowie...

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:20 am

Scodiddly wrote:
trodden wrote: totally on the original e100. I've got two working and a dead one I still can't/won't get rid of, hoping someday i can figure out whats wrong with it. Bought my first one 8 years ago or so.. gets used on something almost every time.

f'ing rules on bass cab.

The E100^2 is a good bit brighter. It's really not the same mic, it's voiced more like a typical Chinese condensor but with decent enough electronics. I got a real deal on a used one, but it's now on semi-permanent loan to a friend.
Didn't they just start making the old one again though? I thought that for some reason..

They wouldn't even touch my older one that needs repair.. but that was a few years ago when they came out with the e100^2

borjam
audio school

Post by borjam » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:08 am

My desert island mics are certainly the CAD e100, which I call my secret weapon for a live double-bass, and the Sennheiser MD-441.

Shane Michael Rose
steve albini likes it

Post by Shane Michael Rose » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:18 am

re20
sm7
audix D6

Producer/Engineer
takin' a dinner break

Post by Producer/Engineer » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:15 pm

Just for the record, a "swiss army mic" is a mic that you wouldn't hesitate to put on nearly any source and would be happy with the capture. Like male and female vocals, acoustic guitar, guitar cab, drum overheads, snare, kick, bass cab etc.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:05 pm

Producer/Engineer wrote:Just for the record, a "swiss army mic" is a mic that you wouldn't hesitate to put on nearly any source and would be happy with the capture. Like male and female vocals, acoustic guitar, guitar cab, drum overheads, snare, kick, bass cab etc.
I was thinking about this thread today, and how this could totally have ended up being a thread about microphones used by the Swiss Army, like how you can sometimes find Russian military mics on ebay. I couldn't think of any clever way to make a joke about it on here, so I left it out. Thanks for the opening.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:55 pm

Just for the record, a "swiss army mic" is a mic that you wouldn't hesitate to put on nearly any source and would be happy with the capture. Like male and female vocals, acoustic guitar, guitar cab, drum overheads, snare, kick, bass cab etc.
No, that's a "desert island" mic. As in "The only mic you can have one a ..."

A Swiss Army mic is one that has pop out scissors, saw, toothpick, magnifying glass, salad tongs and comb, and yet it's still only really useful as a letter opener.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:44 am

Sean Sullivan wrote: AKG C 460 B-ULS (CK61 capsule) (Audio Upgrades)
!
+2

(and 441, m160, atm5)
the new rules : there are no rules

Scodiddly

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:32 am

trodden wrote:
Scodiddly wrote:

f'ing rules on bass cab.

Didn't they just start making the old one again though? I thought that for some reason..

They wouldn't even touch my older one that needs repair.. but that was a few years ago when they came out with the e100^2
It's another new version, the "E100S". Same body, but an electret LDC and different electronics. I work for a dealer, so I got to play with one for a weekend. It's pretty good. I recognized the capsule as something I can buy and have actually built a couple mics with, so not much point in buying that mic myself.