iPad...yeah, I bought one

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

sad iron
tinnitus

iPad...yeah, I bought one

Post by sad iron » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:17 pm

And, you know what? It's awesome. I'm writing this post with it while I watch the final.

And i think it's gonna replace my tranzport. Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIr_POhY8m0

I know there are folks out there who wonder whether its worth it, where it's niche will be, I can say it changes the whole experience. It's a very cool device. I went into best buy to just look at it and as soon as i touched it I knew I was going to buy. I was a sucker, but it think it's really a special device.
Last edited by sad iron on Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

echosound
studio intern

Post by echosound » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:47 pm

i love my ipad.. can't wait for the # of apps to grow.. i know there are going to be some great music making devices coming soon..

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:41 am

I already have a device that does all this (and makes calls)...it's called the iPhone. The ipad would be so much more useful to me if it were running Mac OS...but instead it just becomes an oversized iPod Touch. I like my iPhone quite a bit...I use it a lot more than my computer for general daily surfing, I just don't see the attraction of the iPad.

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:14 am

kslight wrote:I already have a device that does all this (and makes calls)...it's called the iPhone. The ipad would be so much more useful to me if it were running Mac OS...but instead it just becomes an oversized iPod Touch. I like my iPhone quite a bit...I use it a lot more than my computer for general daily surfing, I just don't see the attraction of the iPad.
I have an iPhone as well. It pales in comparison to the iPad for the uses you mention. The iPad is 4x faster than the iPhone in a test i read by macworld. The ui is much more useful with more real estate. I can tell you all this and you probably won't belive it; I probably wouldn't have either, but since I got the iPad I simply can't use my phone for the uses you mentioned.

dubphaser
pushin' record

Post by dubphaser » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:10 am

I got a chance to play with one at the mac store in Sherman Oaks, CA over the weekend. It's a stunning piece of gear. I am definitley not a machead (I make a living as a PC computer tech), but I honestly felt an emotional connection to it. It took a lot not to pull out the credit card and walk out of the store with one. I'm really excited about all of the music apps. IElectribe and Touch OSC look really awesome. Check out createdigitalmusic.com's app round-up if you haven't already. http://bit.ly/azhniI

mscottweber
pushin' record

Post by mscottweber » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:20 am

Someone told me that you can not run more than 1 app at a time on the iPad. I.E. if you are reading a book on it or something, you could not be listening to Pandora radio at the same time, or have iTunes going. Is this true??

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:43 am

mscottweber wrote:Someone told me that you can not run more than 1 app at a time on the iPad. I.E. if you are reading a book on it or something, you could not be listening to Pandora radio at the same time, or have iTunes going. Is this true??
U can listen to iTunes and do other stuff (aim doing now), but pandora, no.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:49 am

mscottweber wrote:Someone told me that you can not run more than 1 app at a time on the iPad. I.E. if you are reading a book on it or something, you could not be listening to Pandora radio at the same time, or have iTunes going. Is this true??
Currently, the iPhone OS only supports multi-tasking with Apple applications. But, it looks like iPhone OS4.0 will be announced on Thursday with full multi-tasking support across all applications, including third-party apps.

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:52 am

subatomic pieces wrote:
Currently, the iPhone OS only supports multi-tasking with Apple applications. But, it looks like iPhone OS4.0 will be announced on Thursday with full multi-tasking support across all applications, including third-party apps.
Wow. That's cool.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:29 pm

kslight wrote:I already have a device that does all this (and makes calls)...it's called the iPhone. The ipad would be so much more useful to me if it were running Mac OS...but instead it just becomes an oversized iPod Touch. I like my iPhone quite a bit...I use it a lot more than my computer for general daily surfing, I just don't see the attraction of the iPad.
Apple already mentioned adding WiFi AND Telephone service to the iPad in the future.

When it has both of these tacked on, I'll definitely get one, so I don't have to travel with my laptop anymore.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

LazarusLong
steve albini likes it

Post by LazarusLong » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:44 pm

noeqplease wrote:Apple already mentioned adding WiFi
Done.
The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And vice versa.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:20 pm

sad iron wrote:
U can listen to iTunes and do other stuff (aim doing now), but pandora, no.
I cannot imagine listening to music and reading a book simultaneously.

FYI, the iElectribe is great fun, for only ten bucks.

Wagz
takin' a dinner break

Post by Wagz » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:37 am

The DAW controller app has me drooling a little bit. I wasn't considering really buying an iPad before this app.
Snoring Hound Studio
Kalisepll, MT

Ronan Chris Murphy
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Ronan Chris Murphy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:58 am

Got to admit I am really wanting one, but being an early adopter is not longer in my blood. I will wait til the kinks get worked out.
Ronan's Recording Show
http://ronansrecordingshow.com/ My new "TV Show" about recording.
Home Recording Boot Camp
http://www.homerecordingbootcamp.com(April in Italy June 14-19 in Los Angeles)

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:50 am

Ronan Chris Murphy wrote:Got to admit I am really wanting one, but being an early adopter is not longer in my blood. I will wait til the kinks get worked out.
I haven't found too many quirks yet, but I hear what your saying. Most people seem to think the thing needs a camera, but it's a very large handheld device. I think it would be really hard to Skype with it or hold it steady enough to take decent photos.